• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Promised Neverland Manga Gets TV Anime in January 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I’m fine with Amazon, but I just dislike how everything that airs there remains unlicensed for quite some time, and even when they become licensed and an English dub is produced and released for home video, the dub essentially becomes a home video exclusive, which is pretty stupid.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
So two guys and a girl are in an enclosed place in danger of being eaten? It's sure to be a hit.

In fact, it already was.

I'm sure the similarities to the "elephant in the room" manga series are just superficial and WSJ manga titles, being the product of popular opinion as they are, are not always stuck in the "copy what is popular at the moment" vibe at all. Well, somewhat.
Shinuki

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
I want to see a studio confirmation. Don't say CloverWorks, because that is just a fishy rumour. Everyone sounds great!

It's not a fishy rumour, YonkouProd basically confirmed and everybody knows that he is basically 100%, he is the one that leaked the anime in first place.
Tirol Choco

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
This is definitely something to keep an eye especially there's an actual popular Shounen Jump title with a female lead who's not some second string; she's front and center. And frankly, I rather see this become a hit and become a trend-setter for female leads in future SJ titles.

Forgetting the fact that Jump has run manga with female leads begore among the most famous and popular being Dr. Slump.

spoiler[And the fact that she doesn't really do much throughout the first arc]

This is going to be another widget series with the tagline "This isn't like your average shounen". Isn't it?
Tirol Choco

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Shinuki wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:
I want to see a studio confirmation. Don't say CloverWorks, because that is just a fishy rumour. Everyone sounds great!

It's not a fishy rumour, YonkouProd basically confirmed and everybody knows that he is basically 100%, he is the one that leaked the anime in first place.

He was also wrong about the leaked staff list.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I just read the first volume. I love the art and the plot is incredibly intriguing. I've read some critics who reviewed the first few volumes say the plot might be stretched a bit to be a weekly Shonen Jump manga, so I hope the right adapters can speed things up a bit without sacrificing quality.

Animegomaniac wrote:
So two guys and a girl are in an enclosed place in danger of being eaten? It's sure to be a hit.

In fact, it already was.

I'm sure the similarities to the "elephant in the room" manga series are just superficial and WSJ manga titles, being the product of popular opinion as they are, are not always stuck in the "copy what is popular at the moment" vibe at all. Well, somewhat.

I thought of that comparison, too, for a split second, but it's really only the most basic parts of the concept that's the least bit similar, everything else is so radically different that no meaningful comparison can be made. The Promised Neverland is to Attack on Titan what any shonen series is to any other.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Only thing I'm not looking forward to is spoiler[Conny's death, especially if they use the one page scene that shows the lead up with Isbella and her talking about keeping one hand free for her mother.] The initial scene hit me, but the one-pager hit me hard.

Still, overall, I have really enjoyed the 3 volumes I've read.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
While there are currently some studio rumors for this adaptation, I just hope that the right staff will be chosen to tell the story of the manga well. I heard many things about this series, so I’ll be looking forward to checking it out next year.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Only thing I'm not looking forward to is spoiler[Conny's death, especially if they use the one page scene that shows the lead up with Isbella and her talking about keeping one hand free for her mother.] The initial scene hit me, but the one-pager hit me hard.

Still, overall, I have really enjoyed the 3 volumes I've read.
I feel like spoiler[Conny's death is the perfect place to end the first episode. It would be a great hook so people would want to watch the next episode.]
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Shinuki wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:

100% HAHA. His leak about the studio also included staff members, half of the staff members already denied being involved. I will wait for the real confirmation regarding the studio and the staff.
Mhora

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote
24 eps top. Gotta love Noitamina.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Mhora wrote:
24 eps top. Gotta love Noitamina.
I would honestly rather have a consistently animated 1-2 cour show, than a long running show. Plus, I don’t think this is a series that needs any filler.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:42 am Reply with quote
Wait, so Amazon has dibs on Noitamina? Does this mean we won't be seeing the English dub for quite a while, let alone on Toonami? If there's any Jump manga getting an anime that would work perfectly with an English dub, it'd be this. I mean, the setting, the names, the characters' appearances, and their culture are all very western.

Stark700 wrote:
Edit: nvm they only have one series airing for Winter.

Well, to be fair, The Promised Neverland's manga does have a good stopping point in the mid-20's where one arc ends and another one begins. I am certain this first season, to test whether or not the ratings will be good enough to keep going, will end there.

darkchibi07 wrote:
This is definitely something to keep an eye especially there's an actual popular Shounen Jump title with a female lead who's not some second string; she's front and center. And frankly, I rather see this become a hit and become a trend-setter for female leads in future SJ titles.

Not only that, but Emma takes the initiative as well (and arguably does it better than Norman or Ray), which is something you don't see very often...period. Coming to mind are Medaka and Chitoge, female protagonists of other Jump series, both of whom take some rather reactive roles in their stories. The antagonist has some pretty similar traits to Emma as well in those regards; just on the other side of the conflict.

spoiler[And now in the current arc, Emma has to deal with a bunch of professional-grade hunters without Norman or Ray...at least until later on, and her plan only falls apart because the demons have some physical traits she wasn't aware of or even thought about until she witnessed what happened between Nous and Nouma.]

That being said, it is pretty common, across all genres (and both male and female protagonists), for heroes to tend to be reactive, taking action only in response to what the villains do.

64BitRatchet wrote:
I would honestly rather have a consistently animated 1-2 cour show, than a long running show. Plus, I don’t think this is a series that needs any filler.

It can't really work with filler anyway, as the world-building and character development is so tight that there isn't any room for anything without risk of it contradicting or accidentally giving away something that might come up in the future.

I mean, they could potentially spoiler[throw in a third party between the humans and the demons], but even that would raise a lot of questions and could clash with some crucial plot points later on down the line.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:01 am Reply with quote
Goddammit. Noitamina has some great shows, but unless you’re Kabaneri (and ever since that show came out) you’re basically guaranteed to not get a proper release in America. Someone better give this the Scum’s Wish treatment or I am going to spoiler[throw kids to the monsters].
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:39 am Reply with quote
I really really hope they won't mess this up, the manga is way too good to get a mediocre adaptation
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3