• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2018 Manga Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I just came here to recommend The Bride was a Boy. That is all.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
The Obvious reason the RWBY Anthology is not for people who ahven't been into the series, is casue it's just a story Anthology, it's not a manga retelling it's just some short stories that would be like Filler in a show.

It's an Anthology so it's not going to spend time on world building.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Sleepy Princess changing her name to "Syalis" from "Suyalis" misses the onomatopoeia of "suyasuya" = "quietly sleeping" :/ But, otherwise super happy that this got an English release!
MikeNeko San

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I love this feature. The reviewers did not disappoint! Fantastic job, folks.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I think Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts will be my next manga series to get started on.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy this section is back. I always enjoy reading it

That said, I feel like the reviewers for the RWBY anthology have like never seen an anthology before or something.
Quote:
Basically this feels like officially sanctioned fanfiction
That's what manga anthologies for set series are.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:52 am Reply with quote
Just want to say how much I love seeing your season manga guide again. Thank you! It really helps me discover new titles.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for this manga guide. I added several titles to my queue (and dropped one). I know it's a lot of work, but it's a real service.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone. I don't know about Amy and Lynzee, but I really do enjoy working on this feature. Smile

dm, I'm curious - which title did you drop? I'd been interested in Tokyo Tarareba Girls before I read it for the guide. Crying or Very sad
Grimvice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Don't listen to the review about Grand Blue Dreaming.

The series is really funny and has a really decent slice of life vibe.

I get that the first volume would be all setup, but it definitely gets better, and you find it to be incredibly relatable and sometimes heart wrenching.
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:16 am Reply with quote
Why such negative reviews about Grand Blue Dreaming? Sure it has some pretty bad harem elements, sure the main girl is the blandest and most boring of them all when she's not practicing her tsukkomi duties, but it is a genuingly funny and upbeat manga with some of the strongest comedy we've seen for quite some time now.

Also it was so obvious from the very start that diving is a side dish and that the main story is about how you can spend your college years. It is really entertaining and funny and those low scores are quite unfair. Don't listen to them people!
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:34 am Reply with quote
Aside from the Manga I already own or plan to buy in one form or another, the guide helped me to not kick 'How To Treat Magical Beasts' from my to-buy list. I was pretty unsure about it before, but now it's a sure buy.

I may also buy Wotakoi and Getter Robo Devolution.

I'm somewhat less exited for Tokyo Tarareba Girls, but I'll still pick it up. Josei is still rare enough and I try to get it if it sounds interesting at all.

Would it be possible to link to the last Manga Guide (Winter in this case) at the bottom of the article, like ANN does with other reoccurring features?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Just a minor correction regarding Devolution;

Go Nagai had very little to do with the original series outside of tossing ideas to Ishikawa (the big one being combining jets instead of cars iirc) but the work was predominantly Ken Ishikawa's. Ishikawa himself handled a lot of the story himself before his untimely passing in 06.

Devolution's first volume, assuming it covers the same as the Japanese collection, is going to cover very little. It's paced a lot like the first Linebarrel volume now that I think about it. It's totally going to be nichè but I'd recommend it if you liked the OVAs or having a passing interest in the original Getter manga. Maybe if Devolution does well, they'd consider picking up the original? Who knows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2