• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Wild 7: Another TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:34 am Reply with quote
I would like more Lupin dubbed, I'm not sure about the rest of it. For example if you have a show that has a very small set of fans, maybe a good chunk of are not interested in a dub, that would not be worth the money. It would be nice to see a re-dub of some popular older shows and films, I loved the new dub for Vampire Hunter D.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I say we should be careful what we wish for. Let's say they were to actually do this. What if they were to suddenly start doing dub-only releases (regardless if it's dubs they create themselves, or stuff that already exists*)? Also, what about shows that are clearly meant for families? If they were to make their own dubs, what's to say they wouldn't start treating (almost) everything the same way, and start having everyone swear, etc., and all because that's they think "everyone" expects from any dub of any anime, whether it's something like, say, Cardfight Vanguard, or something clearly meant for older viewers, such as (almost) anything that airs on late nights?

Now, I know what some of you are going to say:

-"But maybe they'll understand."
-"But maybe they'll listen to us"
-"They'll still do subtitled releases."

That's just it. Whether it's separate releases or bilingual releases, what if it starts getting to a point where Discotek ends up bringing back the fan/mainstream viewer disparity (one version for the fans; one version for "everybody else")? In an even worse case scenario, they could end up focusing more on "crowd pleasing material", or worse yet, they could start doing dubs that change the OP and ED sequences, and possibly even change the overall feel of the show (i.e., to the point where it may even feel like watching a completely different show altogether).

Besides, I'm hoping they'll be able to release the original Sei Jushi Bismarck. World Events Productions did a lot of damage when they used it to "create" "Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs". If they (Discotek) were to start "doing" dubs, what's to say they wouldn't focus on giving us already existing stuff like this? I'm sorry, but I want "Bismarck", and not "...Star Sheriffs". Not only that, but what about something like Maple Town Stories, which was dubbed as simply Maple Town with a live-action character that doesn't exist in the Japanese version? How would they handle something like that? What about a "World Masterpiece Theater" show like Heidi, Girl of the Alps? Heidi (the original novel by Johanna Spyri) has had numerous adaptations before and after this one, but this particular one is Japanese. Could we be certain Discotek would also give everyone the original Japanese version of that show as well? Could we be certain that they wouldn't handle it like the 1986 Wizard of Oz series (which only has the 1987 dub created by Cinar)? I don't know about anyone else, but I personally can't take that chance.

Since this is on social media, I won't be able to offer my thoughts on it, but personally, at least for now (and for the reasons I just talked about, among others), I'm going to have to say no.

Also, don't get me started on the possibility that, for some shows, they might start doing "gag dubs" (e.g., Sgt. Frog, Gakkou no Kaidan, Lupin III [2nd series, plus first movie], etc.)...

*For example, their release of the first Cardcaptor Sakura movie, which has both the original version with subtitles, and "that" other version (you know which one I mean).
CosmicCortex

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I'd really like to know where you're getting any of that from, considering that all of their Lupin dubs have been extremely faithful. From what I understand, the separate language sets are just an idea to recoup the cost of a dub, since they aren't a huge company like FUNi or Viz and besides Lupin, they don't have a lot of big titles to their name to help make back their losses. Even offering this olive branch is a pretty big deal for them.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:12 am Reply with quote
For Lupin III, I'm referring to the Geneon dub of the 2nd series and first movie that makes it look as though it takes place in the present day, with the movie dub referencing the then-recent war on terror, with the "American president" portrayed as being a Bush (Jr.) sound-alike,

In any case, I'm focusing on the long run. It's true that Discotek isn't a big company, but neither was Funimation at first. I repeat, I can't take that chance. Everything I said before still stands.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:19 am Reply with quote
@TheHTRO

If I understand your rather long post, you feel that if Discotek dubs any shows that they will start on a slippery slope that will lead to them adopting all of the disliked practices of companies in the past. Is that correct?

I think you are panicking unnecessarily. There is no evidence to suggest that even if Discotek does start dubbing that they would adopt such fan unfriendly abuses. Certainly our experience with both Funimation and Sentai shows that this is not something that happens automatically. I strongly suspect that the days when you could crap up an anime and try to peddle it as a kid's cartoon are long gone. In the absence of an outlet what would be the profit in doing such a thing?

Regardless, even if they did start bastardizing shows (which could only be done with the approval of the rights holders) what do you propose to do about it??
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@TheHTRO

If I understand your rather long post, you feel that if Discotek dubs any shows that they will start on a slippery slope that will lead to them adopting all of the disliked practices of companies in the past. Is that correct?

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Again, I can't take that chance.

Quote:
There is no evidence to suggest that even if Discotek does start dubbing that they would adopt such fan unfriendly abuses.

Yet, at the same time, there's no evidence to suggest they wouldn't. I refer again to their release of the 1986 Wizard of Oz anime, which had three Japanese episodes uploaded to their YouTube channel, but their release ended up being dub-only anyway, despite many requests for the Japanese version.

Quote:
Certainly our experience with both Funimation and Sentai shows that this is not something that happens automatically.

Exactly. It could happen over time. As I also said, I'm focusing on the long run, here.

Quote:
In the absence of an outlet what would be the profit in doing such a thing?

"A wider audience"? "More exposure"? "One group or another made us do it"? They could come up with all sorts of "reasons" (which, of course, would just be excuses).

Quote:
what do you propose to do about it??

I propose that we do the best we can, and if they don't listen, well, you know...

Oh, and for the record, some (though admittedly not all) anime are "kid's cartoons" (yes, even the original Japanese versions). The problem is, etc., etc., "They think we want everything to be (North) American", etc., etc., "they think we're stupid/we don't know any better", etc., etc., "regardless of age", etc.

Having said all that, however, some shows are vague in some ways, but of course, that doesn't give some companies the right to "macekre" a show, no matter what the justification is. Editing a show for broadcast is one thing, but completely changing the show is another, but I go on. The point is, Discotek is a small, unknown company like Funimation (who originally wasn't an anime company) once was. For right now, I just feel that Discotek should keep doing what they're currently doing, so they don't forget who they are and where they come from, especially since their Wizard of Oz release shows that they might consider more dub-only releases one way or the other if they were to start either making their own dubs or re-releasing previously existing ones, including the "macekred" ones, which I don't want to happen, and neither do others.

In short, I just don't want history to repeat itself. That's all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2