• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - Why Do So Many Manga Artists Avoid Being Photographed?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
It's different for people in the public eye, ranging from mega celebrities to small business owners, than for private people. It's about striking a balance between being a professional wanting to promote your work and create a connection with fans & potential customers and having a private life.

I do think that people shouldn't have to be self paparazzi on social media in order to make a living but it's utterly ridiculous to go to a public event and walk around with your head covered. Or to refuse a classy shot by a publication you trust. Books have author photos, for heaven's sake.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
They saw the movie Misery.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
I.... don't know why people don't get this.

I'm a writer/artist and I don't want my photo taken. It's not because I'm ashamed of my looks or anything. I just... don't want to be recognized when I'm walking down the street. Why is that hard to understand?

How is a photo better for publicity for you drawings, than, you know... one of your drawings?

I don't post photos of myself online at all, actually. I survive, I don't know why people have a problem with this.

I think the question is more along the lines of why mangaka and LN writers in particular don't want their photo taken, even at events.

Most Western creators aren't shy about their pictures being out there at all.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:39 am Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
#861208 wrote:
I.... don't know why people don't get this.

I'm a writer/artist and I don't want my photo taken. It's not because I'm ashamed of my looks or anything. I just... don't want to be recognized when I'm walking down the street. Why is that hard to understand?

How is a photo better for publicity for you drawings, than, you know... one of your drawings?

I don't post photos of myself online at all, actually. I survive, I don't know why people have a problem with this.

I think the question is more along the lines of why mangaka and LN writers in particular don't want their photo taken, even at events.

Most Western creators aren't shy about their pictures being out there at all.

The answer and logic is still the same. A photo is a photo, the risks remains.

Coming to events don't 'scares' them because they usually isn't alone, and it's pretty difficult to tell who's who unless they introduce themself. With a photo, you can easily tell who they are, that's the annoying part.

Also, author photo in books are optional too. As far I know, you can put a photo of your dog instead of your face. Unless in the US has different rule.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
Meongantuk wrote:

Coming to events don't 'scares' them because they usually isn't alone, and it's pretty difficult to tell who's who unless they introduce themself. With a photo, you can easily tell who they are, that's the annoying part.

Also, author photo in books are optional too. As far I know, you can put a photo of your dog instead of your face. Unless in the US has different rule.

In the US and other Western countries, creators have no issue at all with their photos being out there. Most of them use social media to advertise their works and freely post photos of themselves.

It's a little curious as to why the culture is different in Japan.
partially

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:26 am Reply with quote
There is being camera shy, and then there is actively avoiding any kind of exposure. Plenty of western authors are camera shy, they don't put their photo in their book and the like. The difference though is that despite not putting their face everywhere they can, camera shy western authors generally aren't that wary of their appearance. They will go to conventions and signings and the like, and they won't hide away. And if you desperately want to know what they look like, invariably with a bit of searching you can find a photo of them.

Japanese authors though, particularly manga ones take it to the extreme. If they are in public and at events they will often rug up to avoid their full features being seen. It is quite bizarre really. And even the extremely popular authors you can often find that not a single public picture seems to exist for them, or they are much harder to find. Japanese celebrities aren't different to western celebrities in terms of exposure. It is only with authors that the huge difference in attitudes shows.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:34 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Japanese authors though, particularly manga ones take it to the extreme.

Here is exhibit A, Katsuhisa Kigitsu (木々津克久) the mangaka that created Franken Fran in what seems to be a public event:

Different shirt, same helmet:

some live action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JA9_9Y5ktY&t=20s
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:06 pm Reply with quote
^^^^

Shocked
I think his case is more of..... uh, being eccentric rather than being obscure.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:47 am Reply with quote
Instead of speculating, why doesn't someone simply ask them? Wink
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:33 am Reply with quote
This reminds of an interview I saw featuring Horikoshi (creator of BNHA) and he was wearing a full face gas mask the entire time. There’s only one photo of him I saw that showed his face and it was from a con. He looks like Aizawa if anyone is curious.

Maybe if also depends on degree of fame? I’ve seen a lot photos of Araki (creator of JoJo) and Toriyama (creator of DBZ) for example. If you create anything as famous as these two have, it must be more difficult to try and keep private.

As an amateur artist, even I don’t like the idea of my face being plastered all over social media. And this is may be more of an anime-community thing, but I know a lot of artists and even musicians who’d rather keep as much of their real faces out of social-media as possible, using avatars instead. And this should be respected, regardless if you understand their reasons. So while it’s stronger in Japan, it’s not exclusive to them.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:49 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Instead of speculating, why doesn't someone simply ask them? Wink

They did? Several very good reasons were given in the article. But even if they were stupid reasons, it doesn't matter, their wishes should be respected. Period.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I wish people had that attitude toward everyone, not just manga creators. Why is it so hard to respect someone's expressed wishes not to be photographed? Instead of complying, people turn it into a gotcha game to see if they can catch you off-guard. If they do, then they have to show you the picture to brag in your face that they got you. Everyone's paparazzi these days.

It does not matter why someone doesn't want to be photographed. That they don't should be reason enough not to photograph them.

I quite agree with this. It is sickening to see that it's all just some "OMG, look who I photographed today!" game to so many people.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
As an amateur artist, even I don’t like the idea of my face being plastered all over social media. And this is may be more of an anime-community thing, but I know a lot of artists and even musicians who’d rather keep as much of their real faces out of social-media as possible, using avatars instead. And this should be respected, regardless if you understand their reasons. So while it’s stronger in Japan, it’s not exclusive to them.

But then if you use an avatar you get called an "anime nazi" or a coward for not wanting to post your real name and face. Then said people who use their real name for their Twitter handle and post tons of personal life info and pictures all over the web complain about trolls "doxxing" them. I dunno what parents teach their kids these days, but back in the 90s it was "Dont' give out your real name and address to strangers on the internet"

I imagine it's just a narcissism thing. Most Japanese creators are pretty humble and consider themselves normal people. Meanwhile you got American comic book writers who sell only like 5000 copies per issue yet act like they're the hottest thing in the industry and are the revolutionary voices of a generation and culture.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:46 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
This reminds of an interview I saw featuring Horikoshi (creator of BNHA) and he was wearing a full face gas mask the entire time.

For those wondering what he meant:

TBT I am surprised the mangaka of such a popular franchise as my hero academia would still do that since I imagine editors must keep telling him people want to meet him at events and the mask clearly gets in the way of interaction.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
But even if they were stupid reasons, it doesn't matter, their wishes should be respected. Period.

The simple truth is that they abide by the mangaka wishes because they can be hit with a lawsuit otherwise, meanwhile outside japan there is no such thing; so if you plan to become famous, better get a nice comfortable mask because you will need it since nowadays everywhere you go, everybody is armed with a camera in their smartphone and they are trigger happy Anime hyper
animalia555

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:57 am Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
Meongantuk wrote:

In the US and other Western countries, creators have no issue at all with their photos being out there. Most of them use social media to advertise their works and freely post photos of themselves.

It's a little curious as to why the culture is different in Japan.

I don't now about anyone else but I am not sure I would even want to publish under my own name. What if you hit it big with a super work and then any time you try to publish a work afterwords it is constantly compared to it. It would make it hard to publish anything ever again in it's own right. Even if the following work is good, it wouldn't matter because it would be constantly be compared to the super work. Another problem with having your real name and face published is then everything you say and do is being but under the microscope and even the most innocuous comment you have is being scrutinized for possible double meanings and triple meanings. I can imagine it being hard having to live that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3