• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - Why Do So Many Manga Artists Avoid Being Photographed?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I can understand where they're coming from. I dislike having a picture taken, and have never uploaded into the interwebs any mugshot of mine. Pretty much the same for my real name. In fact if one does a search on my name, they won't find any pictures of me, nor any webpages having my name fresher than mid-nineties (maybe; even the last pages might be gone by now).

Also, here's the game director, Yoko Taro, of Nier and Drakengard fame:

mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
I don't now about anyone else but I am not sure I would even want to publish under my own name. What if you hit it big with a super work and then any time you try to publish a work afterwords it is constantly compared to it.

Then you have won. The real tragedy for mangaka is doing a new series that completely falls of the radar and no one talks about it anymore (and sometimes it gets canceled). There is a HUGE list of mangaka that have had their creation animated, sometimes they even get a movie but no one know the manga they did afterwards (i.e. no one knows the name of the manga Naoko Takeuchi or Akira Toriyama did after their world famous series without googling it).

Quote:
Another problem with having your real name and face published is then everything you say and do is being but under the microscope and even the most innocuous comment you have is being scrutinized for possible double meanings and triple meanings. I can imagine it being hard having to live that.

Forget hidden meanings, any opinion you publicly express down the line is a liability since the more famous you are, the higher the chances someone disagrees and will bring back said comment at the most damaging moment.
animalia555

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
animalia555 wrote:
I don't now about anyone else but I am not sure I would even want to publish under my own name. What if you hit it big with a super work and then any time you try to publish a work afterwords it is constantly compared to it.

Then you have won. The real tragedy for mangaka is doing a new series that completely falls of the radar and no one talks about it anymore (and sometimes it gets canceled). There is a HUGE list of mangaka that have had their creation animated, sometimes they even get a movie but no one know the manga they did afterwards (i.e. no one knows the name of the manga Naoko Takeuchi or Akira Toriyama did after their world famous series without googling it).
Quote:
Another problem with having your real name and face published is then everything you say and do is being but under the microscope and even the most innocuous comment you have is being scrutinized for possible double meanings and triple meanings. I can imagine it being hard having to live that.

Forget hidden meanings, any opinion you publicly express down the line is a liability since the more famous you are, the higher the chances someone disagrees and will bring back said comment at the most damaging moment.
That's kind of what I meant.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
I imagine it's just a narcissism thing. Most Japanese creators are pretty humble and consider themselves normal people. Meanwhile you got American comic book writers who sell only like 5000 copies per issue yet act like they're the hottest thing in the industry and are the revolutionary voices of a generation and culture.

I don't follow American comic book writers/artists, so I don't know how many of them are that narcissistic.
At one time, I complained about how awful the storytelling in majority of American comics and my illustration instructor pointed out that writer/artists are just putting out story on comic book format in hope get noticed by Hollywood and hope to start a career as bona fide screenwriter or as concept designer. I think getting noticed by Hollywood makes them to brag about how awesome they are even though the comic itself sold few thousand copies.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
At one time, I complained about how awful the storytelling in majority of American comics and my illustration instructor pointed out that writer/artists are just putting out story on comic book format in hope get noticed by Hollywood and hope to start a career as bona fide screenwriter or as concept designer. I think getting noticed by Hollywood makes them to brag about how awesome they are even though the comic itself sold few thousand copies.

Your instructor is correct. That is pretty much Mark Miller's entire MO. Making a quick, cheap book and then rush to get a movie deal and focusing on that is a common tactic for comic writers.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Your instructor is correct. That is pretty much Mark Miller's entire MO. Making a quick, cheap book and then rush to get a movie deal and focusing on that is a common tactic for comic writers.

There is something more primal in all of this. In the west bragging is an obligation, as someone once told me "the hen will make sure everybody knows she has laid an egg, no matter how small". Meanwhile in the east bragging is akin to bad manners, it is rude, you must wait for other people to say you are great and then you must be humble about it (even if you are thinking "please, praise me more").
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:59 am Reply with quote
I wonder if these privacy laws could apply even if manga-ka would want or outright demand that photos be taken of them. By this, I mean they are not wearing anything that would cover their face outside of wearing shades or hats.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:57 am Reply with quote
Huh? If they demand people take their picture how would privacy laws apply in any way? Are you suggesting that appearing in public with your face exposed is consent to be photographed? It's not. The law in Japan agrees. The law elsewhere unfortunately doesn't.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:11 am Reply with quote
At least in the US, it's a matter of "reasonable expectation of privacy". If you're in public, you have none.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:16 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Huh? If they demand people take their picture how would privacy laws apply in any way? Are you suggesting that appearing in public with your face exposed is consent to be photographed? It's not. The law in Japan agrees. The law elsewhere unfortunately doesn't.

What I mean is that they might state on Twitter on their official website that they state "not only am I alright with being photographed, I prefer it!"
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Removed soapbox troll and replies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:58 am Reply with quote
There's two views on fame at work here. In the West Celebrities run around with what we assume are their real names and their personal lives often become half of the entertainment. Celebrities then are shocked, and I mean shocked, to find out marketing their personal lives has consequences. And then bemoan the market and demand a force of nature should change.

In the East celebrities are highly manufactured to some degree as well, including tweeting pictures of whats for breakfast and what not. However there tends to be a far greater care in general for realizing that shoving out your entire personal life to also be consumed as media has a blowback. Many artists then decide to keep as much of their personal life out of view. They are aware of the market that will gladly capitalize on the success or misery in their personal market, and accept they can't will away the market forces and do what they can to minimize exposure.

I'm not saying its "All people in one group does this and all of the other does the opposite" its a trend with many exceptions obvious enough. Hell, open up any news site and you see people getting fried or roasted alive for their personal lives. Eastern Artists, in this case Japanese, accept how nature, human nature, is.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:25 am Reply with quote
Here is a question. Why are these people who ask questions on these
'answerman' lack common sense ? Are they 12 year olds ?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3