• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: FLCL Progressive

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
The, uh... sadomasochism element is certainly a new one for FLCL. It certainly puts a new twist on things. In this case, Haruko seems to be using Ide as bait for Hidomi, almost as if she's having him toughen up as to endure enough brutality to turn Hidomi on so that an N.O. Gate opens. The style of the show still seems a little muted, though, so I have mixed feelings about this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
we love lain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised the reviewer found the premiere ep stiff on the animation front when it was anything but and yet found this week's ep to be more abundant in animation when THIS was the ep that felt like it was cutting costs (sans a couple of neat visuals throughout)
DreamedLint

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I like that the reviewer is already resorting to "subvert our expectations" to describe FLCL 2. I guess that's the new lingo, along with "Big Mood." I agree that it's good to distance itself from overt and meaningless references to the first series, but I think the series should fit into a tone or aesthetic that feels akin to the original. It's a sequel, it is actively inviting comparison. Saying that it's wacky and confusing and therefore is FLCL is the kind of gross oversimplification that I've become so annoyed with when people talk about FLCL.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
A no-nose nosebleed looks a bit strange.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
For those wondering about the below-par animation, this episode's animation was outsourced to a completely new studio called Production GoodBook and had only two key animators and one 2nd key on staff.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Ditto on the subdued animation quality. Some people may disagree with me on this, but I still feel Studio Trigger should have been involved with the animation process. Kill la Kill had more interesting visuals and a characteristic Gainax insanity which this new FLCL lacks.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What makes this all work so well, pushing this episode from good to great, is how it utilizes that unique FLCL style to subvert our expectations.

Well you can speak for yourself here but it did nothing to subvert MY expectations. Animation quality dropped. Plot still feels like an imitation more than them trying to do anything unique.Episode 3 is the half way point. Things will need to get better fast to really have a chance at being considered a legitimate sequel in regards to quality.
RangerDanger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I think it’s already becoming apparent from what I’ve seen around the Internet (not just here) that this is becoming like a “Damned if you do, Damned if you don’t” situation.
*Becomes similar to the original* Some people respond, “Why is this just an imitation, it must do something unique.”
*Becomes something different* Some people respond, “This isn’t true FLCL and that’s why it’s not worth people’s time.”
Oh well. Personally, I’m really enjoying it, but I’m also waiting until it ends before forming more of a detailed stance on it.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:43 pm Reply with quote
As a normal anime, FLCL: Pro is pretty okay, but it tries too hard to be FLCL.

If they got rid of the dead air, upped the pacing and added a little craziness, then it would've been a true successor to the original.
emory

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:51 pm Reply with quote
At the end of the episode they credit Production GoodBook for the animation work. I've never heard of them before, and on ANN their only credit is Miss Hokusai.
we love lain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
What makes this all work so well, pushing this episode from good to great, is how it utilizes that unique FLCL style to subvert our expectations.

Well you can speak for yourself here but it did nothing to subvert MY expectations. Animation quality dropped. Plot still feels like an imitation more than them trying to do anything unique.Episode 3 is the half way point. Things will need to get better fast to really have a chance at being considered a legitimate sequel in regards to quality.

I don't see how the plot is an imitation of the original; what plot details in this ep did you find to be a simulacrum of the original because i don't know if i can really see much validity to that statement? That aside, I appreciate the angle progressive is trying to hit with its take on flcl. Contrary to what others are saying, the show does flirt with certain aspects that define flcl brand without trying to be just an imitation. The problem that seems to be occurring (not that some of the complaints aren't justified because they are such as the animation quality this week) is that the people who want these sequels to feel like the original are actively looking for that DNA and any traces they find that don't immediately jump out to them as being like the original, they are quick to label as "just a pale imitation" or "it's trying too hard." I think it's fine to have an expectation of a show that carries the title of a revered work or franchise; but that work should also be given a chance to stretch its legs and do its own thing. It should be evaluated on that premise and how those things tie back to the core fundamentals of the title or franchise it's borrowing its reputation from. Since when can't a title that borrows from something well-known not be allowed to be different? There's a difference between emulating a tone and aesthetic and doing something different in an attempt to reinvent the tone of the previous work. 3d mario games are essentially different from 2-d mario; they're not paced the same way, they don't play the same way, and the objective and overall feel of the games are arguably alien to its 2d counterpart. However, there's still a feeling of mario-ness to these 3d renditions because they still respect the basic fundamentals of Mario: jumping, fighting simplistic but fun bosses, exploration, coin collecting, and an outlandishly infectious world. This is a perfect example of a franchise that shares it's title with the works that came before it, representing the tone and aesthetic of its predecessors but in a different way that can be recognized as being a part of that franchise, but not in the same direct way. This is what flcl 2 does by taking the basic tenets of flcl and having away at it from its own perspective. It's the merits of that perspective from the approach of storytelling that we should be analyzinf.

The original flcl was more than being wacky, weird, and confusing: it was about nostalgia and self-indulgence (the good kind). It was about nostalgia for childhood, nostalgia for feelings of sexual frustration and apathy nostalgia for anime and animation, nostalgia for action movies and music, anachronistic fads, vehicles, culture, etc. all artistically cultivated and channeled in telling a surprisingly sentimental tale of a young boy learning to be more honest with himself. It's was an anime made to be enjoyed even if you didn't get it, while allowing you to dissect its spoils if you wanted to so that it can appreciate for all the crap crammed into it. FLCL is a damn near masterpiece, but that's what the original flcl is on a deeper level. Our sequel doesn't have to be that; it's okay if it doesn't achieve that level of deeper greatness. What it needs to do is take the basic principles of flcl: it's music from the pillows, its story about adolescent angst, it's allegorical imagery and sporadic storytelling, it's idiosyncratic in-world logic, and give us it's own intimate identity and layer of depth (if it can hopefully). The series should be evaluated on how well it utilizes the basic flcl tenets while also being appraised for the identity it creates on its own. Our evaluation of these new sequels should be based on whether 1. the show is good on its own and 2. how does it pay proper respect to the rudimentary assets of flcl. There are moments that this sequel actively tries to subvert our expectations of the original; I don't think we should frame people who argue this to be the case as those who are just apologizing for the show failing to capture the spirit of the original. What we should being discussing is whether the subversion works; does it amount to anything beneficial for the story that is being told by this new flcl and its overall tone.

I'm not going to sit here and lie to people that this flcl feels just like the original because it doesn't (i have my criticisms). Sometimes i think that works to this sequel's advantage and sometimes it doesn't. This is definitely a more muted flcl: as for whether that's intentional or a result of incompetence is up for debate (one thing for sure is that Haruko's portrayal is not as electric in this sequel as it was in the original). As of right now, I will say that there were things I was hoping the sequel would capture that it hasn't, which has ultimately left me disappointed; things that i think would have really made this successor to flcl a juggernaut of creativity, but perhaps i'll write a more analytical essay on that another day (right now i'm only interested in hashing it out in the comments). Regardless, i've still had a good time with this sequel, mostly because it's been interesting to see it unravel into what it is. I have a feeling i already know what my score will be for this sequel when it's all said and done but im waiting to see if it has any other tricks up its sleeves. If anything, I kind of like Hidomi a little bit more now. I think there needs to be a bit more characterization to sell me on her but i did appreciate what this ep did with her "character."
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
At the end of the episode they credit Production GoodBook for the animation work. I've never heard of them before, and on ANN their only credit is Miss Hokusai.

I did some digging and they actually did production coordination work on several anime, it's just that the contributors to this site are too lazy to actually add them all.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:13 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
For those wondering about the below-par animation, this episode's animation was outsourced to a completely new studio called Production GoodBook and had only two key animators and one 2nd key on staff.

That's a shame. I figured that since Adult Swim made the decision to make this sequel that this was going to be a passion project, so why would they skimp on the talent? They pulled off a stellar final season for Samurai Jack, and gave it enough funding to easily be the most visually impressive entry in the series, so I can't help but scratch my head here.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:35 am Reply with quote
Waiting for subs.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:21 am Reply with quote
I'd say the big issue I've seen is that the original was very much like A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, The Zelmenyaners, or Catcher in the Rye in largely telling its story and having symbolism by sketching an intimate portrait of its characters, with all the diversions and backtracks that entails, while this version is more like Scarlet Letter, Huck Finn, or Heart of a Dog, where every scene and line has a very deliberate purpose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11