• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: FLCL Progressive

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Definitely liked episode 2 a lot less than I did #1. First scene was great, eerie, captivating and puzzling. And then it just kind of...went downhill from there.

Hopefully this has more to supply in keeping things interesting, because #2 ain't a good representation at all.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
DreamedLint wrote:
I like that the reviewer is already resorting to "subvert our expectations" to describe FLCL 2. I guess that's the new lingo, along with "Big Mood."

What do you mean by that? Is there something I'm missing here? Because when I see the phrase "subvert one's expectations," I usually wind up liking it. I'm always looking for mold-breakers in anything I come across. (And I've seen that phrase for decades.)

FLCLGainax wrote:
Ditto on the subdued animation quality. Some people may disagree with me on this, but I still feel Studio Trigger should have been involved with the animation process. Kill la Kill had more interesting visuals and a characteristic Gainax insanity which this new FLCL lacks.

Yeah, there's very little of the wild animation that goes on here. All of it is centered on either Ide or Haruko and none of it on Hidomi. It is certainly going in a different, more subdued direction, and really, deranged animation wouldn't work on someone like Hidomi, but I think what bugs me is that what little there is in this episode also feels out of place, as if i was put there because it wouldn't be FLCL otherwise.

Then again, perhaps this was also intentional: The world has become more subdued, and it's only Haruko who still behaves in the ways of old. In the original FLCL, Haruko kind of ropes every character into her exploits, some more directly than others, and as a result, everyone gets animated like Haruko. In FLCL Progressive, it feels like Haruko has only been able to do so for the students in her class minus Ide's friends, with Hidomi indirectly resisting, and so she's still animated in much the way Naota and such were animated at the beginning--that is, without Haruko in their lives. Haruko's force of will, which made her the center of attention everywhere, is no longer effective against this new generation.

RangerDanger wrote:
I think it’s already becoming apparent from what I’ve seen around the Internet (not just here) that this is becoming like a “Damned if you do, Damned if you don’t” situation.
*Becomes similar to the original* Some people respond, “Why is this just an imitation, it must do something unique.”
*Becomes something different* Some people respond, “This isn’t true FLCL and that’s why it’s not worth people’s time.”
Oh well. Personally, I’m really enjoying it, but I’m also waiting until it ends before forming more of a detailed stance on it.

If the people who made this show are smart, they'll already have known that. Anywork of fiction that winds up with classic status will become like this with anything new that comes out. Anything that achieves a dedicated fandom will too. Both of those factors will turn the fiction into the metaphorical 50-foot slide in the backyard, creating expectations that are both mutually exclusive and impossible to actually achieve.

we love lain wrote:
3d mario games are essentially different from 2-d mario; they're not paced the same way, they don't play the same way, and the objective and overall feel of the games are arguably alien to its 2d counterpart. However, there's still a feeling of mario-ness to these 3d renditions because they still respect the basic fundamentals of Mario: jumping, fighting simplistic but fun bosses, exploration, coin collecting, and an outlandishly infectious world. This is a perfect example of a franchise that shares it's title with the works that came before it, representing the tone and aesthetic of its predecessors but in a different way that can be recognized as being a part of that franchise, but not in the same direct way. This is what flcl 2 does by taking the basic tenets of flcl and having away at it from its own perspective. It's the merits of that perspective from the approach of storytelling that we should be analyzing.

I ought to point out that if you dig far enough into where Mario fans gather, you will find some people who can't stand the 3-D Mario games and those who can't stand the 2-D games. I'd say the reason New Super Mario Bros. was such a hot seller is much the same reason as why Super Mario Odyssey is a hot seller: Because fans of that type of Mario, in that Mario game's particular style, had been waiting for quite a while for a good Mario game in that spirit. (Stuff like Super Mario 3-D World, meanwhile, annoy people on both sides for having 3-D Mario gameplay with 2-D Mario progression and stage design.)
DreamedLint

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
DreamedLint wrote:
I like that the reviewer is already resorting to "subvert our expectations" to describe FLCL 2. I guess that's the new lingo, along with "Big Mood."

What do you mean by that? Is there something I'm missing here? Because when I see the phrase "subvert one's expectations," I usually wind up liking it. I'm always looking for mold-breakers in anything I come across. (And I've seen that phrase for decades.)

I was making a cheeky reference to reviews of The Last Jedi and subsequent defences of poor media that used "subversion of expectations" to dismiss complaints from fans. Regardless of how you feel about Last Jedi my only real point is that I wanted a more accurate phrase to describe the episode. It's certainly doing something different from original FLCL, and that has some folks (like me) complaining, but it's more than it not meeting our expectations. I don't want to detail every gripe I've made so far, but I would have liked the reviewer to address characters acting unbelievably stupid, (not silly, mind you, but straight up stupid. Scene where Ide hands his loaded gun to a sketchy stranger and is surprised to get shot by it.) the lack of visual and auditory impact (weak sound effects, very quiet music, and all the visual complaints people have sited so far), and as for breaking molds or doing new things, I can't help but find that contradicting the motivation to make a sequel from FLCL, basically riding the name and clout of a cult classic to hype up a new series instead of investing all this amazing new talent they're supposed to have in something actually original.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
I liked episode 1. I felt like episode 2 became a mess as soon as we left the school. Haruko somehow convincing all of her students that her doodles in the yearbook were real things they did was pretty funny, but I honestly couldn't tell you what the hell was going on for the rest of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
k_dawg_3484

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:13 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:

The animation, however, is bland and has none of the chaotic, experimental vibe of the original.

That's what's really getting to me. That spastic GAINAX animation flair is a key part of the original. It's complements and enhances the other key aspects that define the original: strong music, crazy enigmatic writing, and memorable charismatic characters.

This looks about as white bread as you can get on the animation front.

Also, yes, the music is The Pillows, but it's pretty muted, so I think it does not actually bring that enhancement that the original had with swelling Pillows choruses at the right moments.

The writing is this strange mix of not derivative enough of the original and also not ballsy enough to step out on its own and go a different direction. This mishmash is largely why episode 2 was such a mess, and why I, amazingly, found a FLCL episode...boring.

And with the characters, I think even the first or second time watching the original I could remember all the character names. The characters in this one have potential, but I still can't remember most of their names, and I certainly don't care much about them so far.

The writing and characterization has room to get better, and maybe The Pillows will get some better moments. But the animation is what it is, and as much as I love other stuff I.G. does, they clearly were not right studio to do this if this is what they came up with.
DreamedLint

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:16 am Reply with quote
Perhaps it was a bad idea to watch episode 3 at 5:00 in the morning with a headache, but that was just the worst. It's odd because I actually dug the animation for once, though the extent to which Haruko went off model was a little much for me, but that's just me.

Everything else though...
We're hammering home that tsundere thing. I still hate it.

Hidomi's lack of character really needed an episode with her comatose half the time.

My man Ide's just swingin' (the bat) away. No hesitation. No growth. Just a great guy who
fights for love and justice with no discernable flaw.

"I guess that's what they call adolescence." I heard that line in the trailers and hoped to god it was taken out of context or exclusive to the trailer but nope, there it is. In all it's stupid glory. I've said before that FLCL was never exactly subtle, but it definitely wasn't insulting. Also, am I missing the connection it has with Ide freaking out over Hidomi? Why is he even saying that during that scene? Oh, wait I forgot it's FLCL so nothing needs to make sense.

I won't pretend I know where they're going with this Jinyuu + Haruko thing, but I do know I don't like it. We're already scraping against retcon territory with the exchange (I presume was) about Atomsk. The Medical Mechanica name drop was delivered with so much gravitas. It exists purely to tickle the fans. Get them excited for the old important thing to come back. "Remember Medical Mechanica?!" MM hasn't been mentioned for the whole series. So newcomers are just kinda left in the dark.

Also, it's a beach episode.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote
^ Unless I missed something in last night's episode, I didn't get the impression there was any retcon. Jinyu's explanation for Haruko chasing Atomsk would have more credibility than anything assumed by Amaro in the first series. spoiler[He falsely assumed Haruko was in a love relationship with a human-like being, but it actually turned out to be a giant bird.]
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
DreamedLint wrote:
We're hammering home that tsundere thing. I still hate it.

You've got good reason to, by all definitions Hidomi is more a kuudere than a tsundere.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked "Stone Skipping" a good deal more than Episode 2. Something about Ide in this episode that's starting to get me t olike him more, whereas he felt and looked incredibly bland and generic in the first two episodes. Aiko was also hilarious, checking off everything on the "ideal otaku girl" list...and the fact that she was doing it on purpose was awesome too.

A few more characters show up who could be important, for that matter, and it looks like Aiko will be one of them, as I think she appears in the credits.

The animation is still not nearly up there with the original FLCL though. It's as if Production I.G. doesn't know how to make animation like that even with the animation director of the original, or it's a deliberate decision of some sort. The pacing of this episode is also as slow as ever, which is disappointing because part of the appeal of the original FLCL, and a key part of its memorability, was its lightspeed pacing.

DreamedLint wrote:
I was making a cheeky reference to reviews of The Last Jedi and subsequent defences of poor media that used "subversion of expectations" to dismiss complaints from fans. Regardless of how you feel about Last Jedi my only real point is that I wanted a more accurate phrase to describe the episode.

What if it's possible that "subversion of expectations" is the critic's genuine opinion? The way you phrased these sentences, it sounds like you find it's impossible to like FLCL Progressive or The Last Jedi and that the critics who give these things positive reviews are lying to themselves.

I mean, you could use phrases like "pleasantly surprised" or "unpredictable," but you'd be purposefully limiting yourself.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if making both of Ide's classmates partially non-Japanese was to appeal to an American audience. Mori's blonde and Marco's obviously Latin. Their family names, though are written in kanji.
DreamedLint

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:43 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
^ Unless I missed something in last night's episode, I didn't get the impression there was any retcon. Jinyu's explanation for Haruko chasing Atomsk would have more credibility than anything assumed by Amaro in the first series. spoiler[He falsely assumed Haruko was in a love relationship with a human-like being, but it actually turned out to be a giant bird.]

I know. Have some faith in me, my dude. There's a part 2 to Amarao's misconception, however. spoiler[ He assumes Haruko used him in the past to try and get to Atomsk because she was in love with him, and thus imagines he's a muscular Adonis when talking to Naota. In reality Haruko isn't in love with the giant bird, she just wants to exploit his rediculous NO and super power. "That power's MINE, Takuun!!" - Haruko episode 6. When she's fighting Naota she never gives any indication that she's fighting for a lover, just a tool she wants. Her lovey-dovey gaze for Atomsk-Canti at the end of 5 was a misdirection and she was more excited to be that much closer to her goal. ] Jinyuu's thing feels like a retcon because it's implying that she felt differently about the relationship when FLCL original made it very clear what her deal was. Now maybe that's just how the Jinyuu half of Haruko felt before they split, but then the retcon is Haruko being whatever half-n-half being Progressive is trying to make her now, and that recontextualizes all her previous actions.

leafy sea dragon
wrote:
What if it's possible that "subversion of expectations" is the critic's genuine opinion? The way you phrased these sentences, it sounds like you find it's impossible to like FLCL Progressive or The Last Jedi and that the critics who give these things positive reviews are lying to themselves.

I mean, you could use phrases like "pleasantly surprised" or "unpredictable," but you'd be purposefully limiting yourself.

I'm not sure how I gave the impression I thought it was impossible for someone to genuinely like FLCL 2 or the Last Jedi, but let me try and elaborate. I'm more perterbed by the overuse of the phrase rather than its use period. After a while "subverting expectations" became less of a way to describe the work itself and more of a way to dismiss complaints from fans. Implying they were too butthurt because it was different from the old thing they like and nerds hate it when their precious nostalgia gets trampled on.

I've since seen other people somewhat confused at the use of "subverting expectations" in the review for various reasons. What bugged me personally about this use of the phrase is it doesn't mean anything to me. I wasn't going into this with high expectations. I've been vehemently against the idea of sequalizing FLCL from the moment they announced it 3 years ago. Subverting my expectations would mean the show being great, justifying its own existance, and magically expelling all of my misgivings. As for the author of the review, he's already thrown FLCL original under the bus for the vague reason of it being outdated (visually? The story? The setting??) and hasn't made it clear what expectations it was subverting. Being subversive is more than being different or surprising, but he showed no evidence of the episode being anything but different from the original and somewhat unexpected. (Like the shantytown that's next to Mabase) If using more accurate terms to describe a show in one's review is a limitation, then it's a good limitation.

FLCLGainax wrote:
I wonder if making both of Ide's classmates partially non-Japanese was to appeal to an American audience. Mori's blonde and Marco's obviously Latin. Their family names, though are written in kanji.

No! It's those gosh darn Shonen Jump Weekly's ruining my childhood with their diversity quotas! Boycott FLCL Progressive! (sarcasm/ joking)[/spoiler]
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I quite enjoyed Episode 3. It was definitely more slow-paced for FLCL standards, but the things on display this week were still engaging. Aiko was pretty humorous to see and some characters are displaying more personality to them, which is nice. The animation is more vibrant compared to last week’s and I’m looking forward to seeing what will come next.
we love lain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:57 am Reply with quote
DreamedLint wrote:
Subverting my expectations would mean the show being great, justifying its own existance, and magically expelling all of my misgivings.

No; something subverting your expectations doesn't mean that at all; it only means that it went against what you were expecting. It's because the term has such a nebulous connotation is why people are able to use it so loosely to dismiss criticism regarding media that make harmful changes to its own established principles.However, if you're saying that a show that subverts YOUR expectations means that it's great, then i can sort of understand that argument, even though i still think that expectation misrepresents what the meaning of "subversion" is
DreamedLint

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
we love lain wrote:

No; something subverting your expectations doesn't mean that at all; it only means that it went against what you were expecting. It's because the term has such a nebulous connotation is why people are able to use it so loosely to dismiss criticism regarding media that make harmful changes to its own established principles.However, if you're saying that a show that subverts YOUR expectations means that it's great, then i can sort of understand that argument, even though i still think that expectation misrepresents what the meaning of "subversion" is

You're completely misunderstanding me. I'm referring to my expectations for this show, specifically, in this one specific context. I came into this expecting the show to suck. Going against that would mean the show not doing the things its already done that bug me. It's part of what makes the term ambiguous in this case as again, he didn't make it clear what we were made to expect and how it subverts that.

Of course I don't think the actual definition of the phrase is somehow just a blanket term for greatness, come on now.
we love lain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
DreamedLint wrote:
I came into this expecting the show to suck. Going against that would mean the show not doing the things its already done that bug me. It's part of what makes the term ambiguous in this case as again, he didn't make it clear what we were made to expect and how it subverts that.

Haha...see...but now you're just being cheeky, so of course the intent of your initial comment doesn't come off as clear.

Quote:
Of course I don't think the actual definition of the phrase is somehow just a blanket term for greatness, come on now.

You'd be surprised how many people use that as a term for perceived greatness, along with other terms like "deconstruction," "reconstruction," or "unexpected"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11