• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sailor Moon SuperS Part 1 Limited Edition BD/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:33 pm Reply with quote
The 90s anime has never been a faithful adaptation of the manga, but SuperS is when the anime starts diverging more than it ever has before. It's disappointing considering the Dream arc is arguably the best arc of the entire manga, but I still find SuperS enjoyable as its own thing. In fact, it held up better than I expected on my Viz dub rewatch. And we're not even to the good half of the season yet.

While the mechanic episode isn't one of my favorite fillers, I do appreciate how it did something different with Ami instead of the standard "My life is all about studying!" focus episodes she's gotten in every other season. I've often thought that Ami and Mamoru get some of their best episodes this season.

whiskeyii wrote:
Weirdly, I find this half of the season hardest to watch as an adult. As a child it never bothered me, but nowadays I can't shake the strange impression that the "mirror-peering" scenes are intended to be a very kid-friendly version of something akin to sexual assault, at least as far as the voice direction is concerned. Something about those scenes always struck me as jarring and dissonant, and I always get this twinge of unpleasantness when I watch it. I think it's that, by and large, the victims just seem to strike me as far more distressed than they do in other "oh no, someone save me~" scenes in previous seasons.

Given Ikuhara being the director, I think that's very much intentional. It reminds me a lot of his work in Utena. In fact, while S is widely heralded as the season that birthed Utena, I see a lot of similarities between Utena and SuperS too. Alternating between absurd comedy and squicky topics like rape, repetition as an intentional directorial choice, the heavy exploration of adolescence, etc.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:00 pm Reply with quote
While SuperS is my least favorite of the original anime, and while I do feel a lot of the filler episodes are filler here, to me it's actually aged well compared to, well, the OTHER Sailor Moon anime. I agree, the Amazon Trio were some of the best villains of this season, and yeah, the best episode of all the bunch was the one with Minako and her two timing stuff, LOL.

While the Dead Moon Circus is not my favorite group of villains, they probably were the creepiest, hell, the scariest one I'd say is that candy bunny PeroPero:

(C'mon, how is some cute bunny head who can change her face like that not scary looking?)

Interestingly the first episode I ever saw from Sailor Moon was from SuperS, the episode with Makoto and her author friend Tomoko (who interestingly kinda looked like Shizuka Nakamoto from that somewhat obscure Graduation OVA). Fortunately she and the others get new attacks next season, but yeah, I don't know why they decided to shaft the Inners to the sidelines here, but it only really happened until they got their SuperS forms in my eyes. At least the manga version included and developed them, I hope that the Crystal movies will treat them better too...

This set also has one of the rare times I dislike/hate a Sailor Moon episode; the one with Diana appearing, not only did it have one of the worst monster of the days, it made Luna look like a huge hypocrite if you take the S movie into consideration.

I too used to think that Usagi's maturity slid here, but to be fair, I could understand her behavior at points (her getting pissed at Rei accidentally peeping, if I had a girlfriend and I found out someone did that, even by accident, I'd be pissed too), but now I agree with what Cutiebunny said, and considering how she did mature more in Stars (and she still tended to act childish at points in the manga too), just because one acts like a child at times doesn't mean they haven't grown nor matured.

One thing I don't get though:

" Other extras include galleries, promos, clean songs, and three interviews: one with the “royal family,” one with all the Sailor Guardians except Mercury (usually absent from these)"

Did they exclude Mercury from the Viz interviews and such? If so, I say why? She's just as important to the team as the others.

That thing with Supergirl I checked.................................... what. Shocked

(Fortunately it never went that far in the anime, and I believe the manga either, it's been a while since I read that arc).

What I found way better than the SuperS anime was this two part live action fan film: Dead Moon Circus. I don't know if I can post links of it here, but I will say: if you can find it, I'd recommend watching it, it's REALLY good.

@whiskeyii

I gotta agree, when I used to watch this, my mom and sister said they'd always get uncomfortable feelings seeing that, and after reading about it on some random website (in defense of SuperS, saying how it's actually one of the more mature and disturbing feeling Sailor Moon seasons rather than "cute/sugary") I can understand why. I agree, the second half is better and easier to watch nowadays.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Did they exclude Mercury from the Viz interviews and such? If so, I say why? She's just as important to the team as the others.

I'm sure Viz wanted to include her, but she most likely turned them down. I'm not sure if she's shy or just extremely busy nowadays, but Kate (Viz Mercury) hardly ever appears at cons, cast interviews, etc. Not just for Sailor Moon, either. She's that way for almost everything she works on.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:02 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I don't know how old Helios is tbh.

IIRC, in the materials collection art book Takeuchi in her notes said Helios is supposed to look like a 7th grader. I think Chibiusa is in 4th grade at that time so based on that they might be a 3-4 years apparent age difference between them. But in the manga Chibiusa iis 900 years old and it’s implied that Helios has been around since the time of the Silver millennium, which was even further back in time, so their actual age difference might be around a few hundreds to thousands of years. Anime hyper;;
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:23 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:

While the mechanic episode isn't one of my favorite fillers, I do appreciate how it did something different with Ami instead of the standard "My life is all about studying!" focus episodes she's gotten in every other season. I've often thought that Ami and Mamoru get some of their best episodes this season.

I also enjoy the mechanic episode because it shows more aspects of Ami's character outside of her obsession with studying. SuperS in general gives Ami a lot more diverse interest like a later episode where we find out about her interest in music and writing song lyrics.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:37 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:

Most of Viz's interviews were taped on the weekend of conventions, most of which Kate Higgins (Mercury) never attended. The only times she appeared at a Sailor Moon Panel for Viz were at Anime Expo in July 2014 (which her appearances in the season 1 & R sets came from) and Anime NYC in November 2017 (which you can find on their YouTube with these four videos) so it's more of an issue on Kate's end than anything.

The same can be said for Veronica Taylor (Pluto) except they showed pre-recorded video messages with her on two occasions (Anime Expo 2015 and 2017 which for the latter, it was because she was in Ireland for MCM Ireland Comic-Con that weekend) and she did a few interviews with them elsewhere for R part 2 & Crystal season 3.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:33 am Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I don't know how old Helios is tbh.

IIRC, in the materials collection art book Takeuchi in her notes said Helios is supposed to look like a 7th grader. I think Chibiusa is in 4th grade at that time so based on that they might be a 3-4 years apparent age difference between them. But in the manga Chibiusa iis 900 years old and it’s implied that Helios has been around since the time of the Silver millennium, which was even further back in time, so their actual age difference might be around a few hundreds to thousands of years. Anime hyper;;

I do remember Chibi-Usa's age for sure but Yeeeesssshhh...
Thank you for the clarity but dang lol
zfunk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:06 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
Sailor Sedna wrote:

I'm sure Viz wanted to include her, but she most likely turned them down. I'm not sure if she's shy or just extremely busy nowadays, but Kate (Viz Mercury) hardly ever appears at cons, cast interviews, etc. Not just for Sailor Moon, either. She's that way for almost everything she works on.

She is the Hayden Walsh (Starfire) of the group.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 am Reply with quote
@1dbad

Oh, I see. She probably has a busier life than the others then...
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:26 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
This season doesn't deserve all the fan hate it gets. It's rough around the edges, yes, and not as good as S, but it's not bad by any means, and on balance it's better than season 1 and arguably Stars.

This is the season where the show's weird sense of humor really comes to the forefront, so while it has the least complex storyline out of all of them, it has some of the most rewatchable individual episodes, and SuperS eps tend to be the ones I come back to the most. It also helps that the Dead Moon Circus are the best villain group in the entire series.

Of course, if you dislike Chibi-Usa that'll greatly diminish your enjoyment of this season. But I've found that most of the hate she gets tends to come from western fans who remember her behavior in the original DiC dub.

while the dub version of chibi usa is much better than the DIC, haters will find a way. one of which is not of the fault of the VA is using way too much of the "flora" persona for chibi usa during the usual spit spat with usagi in superS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Having seen SuperS, I actually don't think it's a bad season. Personally, I thought R was the weakest season overall, and that SuperS does have a lot going for it. Also, Pegasus's new voice is SO MUCH BETTER than Cloverway's voice actor's take on him. The original English voice was far too old. Chris Niosi absolutely nailed Pegasus for sure, no contest. Very Happy

The only character I found annoying in SuperS was PallaPalla, and her Japanese voice was way too shrill and ear-grating for me. Here's hoping Xanthe Huynh manages to make her more tolerable.
zfunk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
The only character I found annoying in SuperS was PallaPalla, and her Japanese voice was way too shrill and ear-grating for me. Here's hoping Xanthe Huynh manages to make her more tolerable.

Well I love the character of PallaPalla, they do the anime trope of being the most child like of the group and having the biggest breasts of the 4 of them.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:19 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Also, Pegasus's new voice is SO MUCH BETTER than Cloverway's voice actor's take on him. The original English voice was far too old. Chris Niosi absolutely nailed Pegasus for sure, no contest.

I liked Robert Bockstael personally. He voiced Prince Demande in Sailor Moon R, and he was Sauron in the 90s X-Men, which is awesome!

Quote:

I bet she'll do great. Having heard her in Trails of Cold Steel II as Altina, I have no doubt in her ability.
zfunk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I might be wrong, maybe Jun Jun has the biggest boobs. They are two anime tropes, the most child like person has the biggest boobs, but another trope is the tom boy person has the biggest boobs in the group.

Anyway when is part 2 coming, I want an announcement soon.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
FireChick wrote:
Also, Pegasus's new voice is SO MUCH BETTER than Cloverway's voice actor's take on him. The original English voice was far too old. Chris Niosi absolutely nailed Pegasus for sure, no contest.

I liked Robert Bockstael personally. He voiced Prince Demande in Sailor Moon R, and he was Sauron in the 90s X-Men, which is awesome!

I think Robert Bockstael is fine voicing older men, like Demande. But Helios' physical appearance is that of a boy in 7th grade (Usagi, in comparison, is in 9th grade at this point and is on the cusp of going to high school in the 90's anime) maked the voice very disconcerting, especially for people who are not aware that Pegasus' true form is that of a young boy. I was aware of Pegasus' secret, after having seen Super S in Japanese on VHS tapes, but I was so shocked by Bockstael's voice when the Cloverway Super S dub aired on Cartoon Network that I remember nearly falling out of my chair. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3