• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Light Novels Not Yet In English

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:52 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
If the book is taking inspiration from the Eastern campaign, then I still think the racial discrimination interpretation stands as the views during that time towards Slavic people would have considered them a different race than their oppressors.

Of course the racial discrimination interpretation stands, and of course the definition of white has changed in various places-- but because races are socially determined, while it may be correct to analogize in a US context nearly any type of dominant fraction racism to white supremacy, that's incredibly blinkered in the context of a novel written by Japanese for an audience of Japanese in Japan.

Race and racism are socially determined. If you insist that the novel, because it draws inspiration from Nazi Germany, is only about white supremacy, you are treating the Japanese as moral infants and denying the struggles and discrimination that ethnic Koreans, Chinese, and others have faced from Japanese in places where the Japanese have been dominant. It may be possible, with effort, to attempt to claim that the Nazi form of racism is just white supremacy despite its particular contours since races are defined differently, but it begins to stretch the definitions of terms beyond that that allows clear communication if you claim that discrimination done by the Japanese in Japanese towards other Asian "races" (by their definition) is white supremacy.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:24 am Reply with quote
WHERE'S Sunday without God!?

HUH!?

HUUUUUUUUUUUUUH!?

............maybe the post author hasn't read it.

Well, if that's the case, you are missing out, man. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5