• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Valve Comments on Steam's Content Policies, Promises to Allow Everything That is Not Illegal o

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zimmer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
"So if you don't want to see anime games on your Store, you'll be able to make that choice"

Something about this statement just sounds funny to me. Like, "Don't worry, guys. We'll get rid of that shit one way or another."
Slashman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
This certainly sounds like an improvement, especially since individuals are in a better position to decide what content they don't want to see than a company acting as a gatekeeper. That said, at most I think Steam will roll back to allowing censored eroge and the game maker can provide information for a patch. I just have a hard time seeing them going any farther than that, and they're probably figuring people won't complain since they backed off.

I think people were pretty happy with this in the first place.

The censored version would be the default and then an official post from the devs would say how to unlock the adult content. It seems like common sense but then we all know how common that actually is...
An Average Aspie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:53 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I wonder what Jim Sterling take on this will be?

oh he's doing the usual. Gonna make a vid on it according to his Twitter but I think the wave of "skeptical positivity" with this news will push his dis button once uploaded.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:50 am Reply with quote
My only concern is the "trolling" part. It sounds like it could be their backdoor in case they ever do want to remove something, since it's such a vague term.

Predictably, this is not going well with most mainstream video game sites as they push for censorship usually. A lot of them are having meltdowns over this and are saying they wanted more censorship out of this controversy, not less.

-Stuart Smith
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The company will implement new systems for customers to override recommendations and hide content they do not want.

Yeah, that would be nice ... I marked like 1k games as "not interested", but they are still all over my Store Page. Getting rid of that would help me lots in finding games I may actually want to buy.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:24 am Reply with quote
On the one hand, I hope this opens things up more for more games featuring erotic content on Steam, with less concern from devs that their games can be approved and then suddenly reversed.

On the other hand, Valve's statement about some of this is a bit BS. They claim nothing automatic happened, no flagging systems were abused or anything, but then how did games like Kindred Spirits, which went through a rigorous review process, suddenly get told to remove vague content from it?

In addition, "illegal" is a pretty big standard. I mean, hate speech is legal in a lot of places and circumstances. If someone makes a game called "Conversation Therapy Simulator" that's all about running a camp for "curing" queer kids, will that be allowed? Or will that be considered "trolling"?

Ultimately this seems like Valve is just gonna take even more of a hands off approach than before, but still potentially be open for abuse and other issues. So mixed feelings about this.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:22 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

On the other hand, Valve's statement about some of this is a bit BS. They claim nothing automatic happened, no flagging systems were abused or anything, but then how did games like Kindred Spirits, which went through a rigorous review process, suddenly get told to remove vague content from it?

I think they meant automatic removal by bots rather than being flagged then having a human review it. And that makes sense, bots couldn't been selective like this only humans with certain biases and prejudices can.

As for illegal, notice their wording: what they--Valve--deems illegal, not what is actually illegal. And I bet they will still NOT allow adult content nor allow links to patches or allow content delivered over Steam that can be unlocked in a patch as usual before this blog statement. That's because somewhere in the world it could or just might be illegal.

And I don't trust Valve at all. A couple years ago, they explicitly told VN game developers that yes, patches are allow. Then they reversed that decision later. For anime games, that have the superficial image of being risque as opposed to western games which have much more explicit content hidden within, they'll likely still come down harder.

They can be lenient now then on a case by case basis, be inexplicably strict later.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:09 am Reply with quote
More Unity assets flips for trading cards please
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:32 am Reply with quote
Great news for everyone. That is what a major victory looks like. I bet the group who thought they "won" because Steam is removing certain games is SEETHING right now.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
On the one hand, I hope this opens things up more for more games featuring erotic content on Steam, with less concern from devs that their games can be approved and then suddenly reversed.

In addition, "illegal" is a pretty big standard. I mean, hate speech is legal in a lot of places and circumstances. If someone makes a game called "Conversation Therapy Simulator" that's all about running a camp for "curing" queer kids, will that be allowed? Or will that be considered "trolling"?

Ultimately this seems like Valve is just gonna take even more of a hands off approach than before, but still potentially be open for abuse and other issues. So mixed feelings about this.

One of the Sono Hanabira games is still removed from Steam,though
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
My only concern is the "trolling" part. It sounds like it could be their backdoor in case they ever do want to remove something, since it's such a vague term.

Predictably, this is not going well with most mainstream video game sites as they push for censorship usually. A lot of them are having meltdowns over this and are saying they wanted more censorship out of this controversy, not less.

-Stuart Smith

Oddly, some of those websites were the same that complained about Steam removing LGBT games. Can't we just allow both LGBT games and school shooter simulators? If you don't like it, don't play it or refund it if you did happen to buy it.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:31 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Oddly, some of those websites were the same that complained about Steam removing LGBT games. Can't we just allow both LGBT games and school shooter simulators? If you don't like it, don't play it or refund it if you did happen to buy it.

Pretty safe to say it was never about 'customer choice' or 'freedom of expression'. They specifically complained only because their LGBT stuff got friendly fired. If it was just otaku and loli stuff that got hit, they would have probably sided with Valve from the start.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2