• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fate/Grand Order Game's New Event Set in 1945 Stirs Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Where are people getting all this stuff about occupying territory? Was it in a stream or something?
The in-game announcement doesn't say anything like that; it sounds more like they're just bringing in a bunch of the exact same stuff that was already in Koha-Ace.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
dark_bozu wrote:
Speaking about this "controversy", one of korean redditors posted this today, and this post explains a lot.

There's zero evidence to support that claim, so it's more harmful than not to post it. Get evidence, then share it.

There's zero evidence about "controversial plot" of event, yet people complain. I could understand the claims about MINE's twitter posts, but in this situation - I'm speechless.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
Where are people getting all this stuff about occupying territory? Was it in a stream or something?
The in-game announcement doesn't say anything like that; it sounds more like they're just bringing in a bunch of the exact same stuff that was already in Koha-Ace.

Japanese tweets is where I saw it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
MisterLuck wrote:
So Battlefield V gets a pass I guess or are the Japanese the only ones who can't say anything about WW2.

Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure Battlefield 5 isn't intended to rewrite or revise the U.S.'s and other country's roles in the wars. Maybe omit or downplay certain things like the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the Holocaust but still.

Chester McCool wrote:

Isn't that game being criticized for being about handicapped transwomen of color being on the front lines of D-Day?

No the game is being criticized by guys who don't like the idea of playing as women in the game's single player because apparently it ruins the immersion and takes liberties with history.....after many other games like it that ruined immersion and took liberties with history.

Chester McCool wrote:
Sounds like it has its own issues.

Yeah whiny 20-30 year old guys who know full well that they are (or were) only playing this game for the multiplayer.....where you still get to play as women.

Ialdaboth wrote:

Precisely. I think more and more people are pissed by the hypocrisy of americans lecturing and virtue signaling like crazy, given their own quite remarkable track record in colonization,
genocide of native populations,

Which to be fair we got from the British and most of the country doesn't actually ignore or try to justify especially the descendants of the very people who suffered through that.

Ialdaboth wrote:

I mean, for instance the treatment of American military history in American pop-culture is toxic as hell. I don't think FGO come close to the type of stuff that comes out from Hollywood.

Overly patriotic yes toxic I haven't really seen any of this.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
dark_bozu wrote:
Speaking about this "controversy", one of korean redditors posted this today, and this post explains a lot.

There's zero evidence to support that claim, so it's more harmful than not to post it. Get evidence, then share it.

There's zero evidence about "controversial plot" of event, yet people complain. I could understand the claims about MINE's twitter posts, but in this situation - I'm speechless.

The basic plot line is evidence that they're being insensitive, at best. And the South Koreans are right to be touchy about the subject/time period. If you read my other post, you will see I do think people are reacting a bit too early, since we haven't seen the full plot line. But I also think that this era simply shouldn't be touched by Japanese unless they're going to (finally) acknowledge that they were not only wrong in what they did, but also acknowledge the crimes they committed against innocent civilians. I defend Japan a lot. Way too much. My right-wing friends often call me a Japan apologist because I hate the fact that we nuked Japan twice. But at least we don't even try to hide the fact that we nuked them. I mean, it's impossible to, but it's also impossible to hide the crimes they committed but they still try to and most Japanese don't even acknowledged they crimes happened. Staying out of this time frame really would've been the smartest choice.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
OtherSideofSky wrote:

Japanese tweets is where I saw it.

Like, official tweets, or just people rumoring stuff?
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:

To quote the FGO subreddit's live feed, the game mechanics are as such:
Quote:
"It will be mission based where you will be taking over enemy's base and open new spots." and "Clear your mission and a new spot will open. Continuing it will allow you to get closer to your enemy's territory."
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I checked Japanese twitter about this event yesterday. There wasn't a large response but the few that I saw were like 90% racist "KOREANS ARE STUPID AND SERVICE SHOULD BE STOPPED", "KOREAN PEOPLE ARE EVIL" "KOREANS HAVE NO BRAIN"

Welp, I could tell you one thing - 90% of people are idiots.

Quote:
The basic plot line is evidence that they're being insensitive, at best

Oh please, there's ton of games, movies and books about WWII - this is not something to be insensitive about. It would be another story if author would somehow offend Koreans in plot, but right now there's no point to complain. I mean, they probably would even mention anything about koreans - right now it looks like a battle between imperial army, nazis, chaldea team and... dunno, aliens Laughing
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
OtherSideofSky wrote:

To quote the FGO subreddit's live feed, the game mechanics are as such:
Quote:
"It will be mission based where you will be taking over enemy's base and open new spots." and "Clear your mission and a new spot will open. Continuing it will allow you to get closer to your enemy's territory."

Does the subreddit's live feed have a source on that?
Either way, that sounds like a garbled description of how most of FGO works and mentions nothing about other countries. If there are going to be factions, I'd assume that they're different characters in the event fighting each other (like in the previous Guda Guda event, or the racing event last summer).

If some of the stuff people are talking about does turn up in the event, I'd be disappointed and offended by it, but so far all I've seen are claims without reliable sources.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like nothing compared to the light novel thing.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:

Is official live-stream is good enough source for you?

Kougeru wrote:
But I also think that this era simply shouldn't be touched by Japanese unless they're going to (finally) acknowledge that they were not only wrong in what they did, but also acknowledge the crimes they committed against innocent civilians.

Nope, I don't think so - this is straight up censorship. Like I wrote, unless they offend anyone with an actual story or justify massacre, it's fine. I mean, DelightWorks and Type-Moon aren't idiots and they won't write something that offends koreans or chineses, because they are a big and important part of community with their own servers.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
OtherSideofSky wrote:

Yes, thank you. Although unfortunately it will be a while before I can get to someplace where I can watch it myself and find out what words they actually used. (No offense to the subreddit, but those lines scream "rushed translation.")
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
This sounds like nothing compared to the light novel thing.

Exactly.

This time, no mention of realistic event just to make one sounds like a kendo badass, just era reference; players are playing as the “good guys” to stop the revisionist mages’ last ditch effort to turn tables of WWII ( by the way, this event’s writer has wrote a similar route before that had none of the sensitive contents. He is trustworthy at least for now)

Stop history revisionists? That is political correctness being done right for once.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
dark_bozu wrote:
OtherSideofSky wrote:

Yes, thank you. Although unfortunately it will be a while before I can get to someplace where I can watch it myself and find out what words they actually used. (No offense to the subreddit, but those lines scream "rushed translation.")

You're welcome. Here's link to part with announcement of new event.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
From what little info there is out there atm, my bigger concern is what are the Nazis doing there? Because it sounds like the Japanese military will be your opponents, but I can't tell if you're also fighting the Nazi team for the Grail, or fighting with them against the Japanese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5