• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fate/Grand Order Game's New Event Set in 1945 Stirs Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
dark_bozu wrote:
OtherSideofSky wrote:

Does the subreddit's live feed have a source on that?

Is official live-stream is good enough source for you?

Yes, thank you. Although unfortunately it will be a while before I can get to someplace where I can watch it myself and find out what words they actually used. (No offense to the subreddit, but those lines scream "rushed translation.")

Well, yeah, it was someone watching the stream and posting updates on what they were saying.

Gimme a few minutes, i'll get you a link pics of the part where they describe the gameplay and whatnot. You might need the google Translate (android) function where you can tl by just pointing your camera...

EDIT: https://imgur.com/a/7SYyxtR Here it is. After this we only see them showcasing the NP's for the 3*/4*/5* new servants and the PV in the news post, then announcing that the event will start on the 13th.

If anyone watches the stream linked above and only wants to know about the event stuff, skip to 1:45:00. Before that it's them announcing Fate/Extella Link stuff, the Fate/Mahjong tiles + the VA's and some of the staff playing with them and Fate/Grand Order FES stuff like booth placement and such.

EDIT 2: @Engineering Nerd We can def trust the writer. Someone on the FGO jub made a lengthy post on him. https://ff.reddit.com/r/grandorder/comments/8pajpz/fgotrivia_keikenchi_the_author_of_koha_ace/?utm_content=comments&utm_medium=hot&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=grandorder

TL;DR for people who don't wanna read:He's definitely trustworthy since he's a TYPE-Moon staff who worked extensively on FGO (wrote some character's personalities/etc and even Events. The event this news piece is about, is the 3rd part of a whole. He wrote what came before.

Last edited by AksaraKishou on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
From what little info there is out there atm, my bigger concern is what are the Nazis doing there? Because it sounds like the Japanese military will be your opponents, but I can't tell if you're also fighting the Nazi team for the Grail, or fighting with them against the Japanese.

Maybe it's something similar to america chapter where you were fighting against Edison and Medb armies.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
The only thing honestly to complain about is MAYBE a lack of Korean' themed servants as it would be a passive aggressive means to indirectly snub another nation.
To be fair considering what they tend to do with Fate servants it might be a wise decision for them to avoid any figures from Korean history. I mean even with the best of intentions it could easily cause problems.

Kougeru wrote:
Listening is best move to make here.
Listen to what? The event hasn't been released yet so the complaints are based on speculation.
Mojave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I saw one translation yesterday of the announcement that phrased it in a way that was essentially "Reverse what happened in real life and lead Imperial Japan to glory!" If that translation was accurate, then yes, all the outrage makes perfect sense and is quite justified. However, I have been unable to find that translation today or any other sources that phrase it in a similar way, so its possible that was an inaccurate translation and has been taken down. If that's not what any of the announcements said, then the level of outrage doesn't make as much sense.
Trendo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Mojave wrote:
I saw one translation yesterday of the announcement that phrased it in a way that was essentially "Reverse what happened in real life and lead Imperial Japan to glory!" If that translation was accurate, then yes, all the outrage makes perfect sense
Nope it would not
Everyone that played FateGo knows, that chaldeas mission is to correct the false timeline to the right.
In the Event the story plays as "Japan will win the war" and its your mission to stop that, otherwise it would cause a false singularity.
So....yeah, the outrage is stupid

Last edited by Trendo on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
青白

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I am gonna make a video game that puts Hitler as the symapathetic protagonist.
Rednimue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Again, as I said in the [NEW LIFE +] article:

SHD wrote:
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
Spoke too soon. FGO will start a new event related about Japan getting back to power in 1945 next week. And the shitstorm has already started.

https://twitter.com/PuroonM0410/status/1004375385587384320
https://twitter.com/hashtag/FGODirectorsShouldApologize?src=hash

And rightly so? I mean, holy crap, who even thought this was a good idea even in a Japan only game - never mind an international one. There's history and then there's "for god's sake guys".

And this is not about ...

But then you hear no one complaining about those historical strategic games, like Iron Heart, where you can literally change the outcome of WWII and Win the war with the axis ... Confused

I understand the heated debate around the cancellation of [NEW LIFE +], there are good reason behind it ... But this is the text book definition of overreaction ...
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
The sad part is your supposed to stop Japan from making a nuke from the holy grail. Koreans are truly the most sensitive right now.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
OK, I just watched a recording of the live stream, and I'm not seeing most of the things that people are talking about.

They do talk about liberating territory, but it's accompanied by what is clearly a map of Tokyo covered in colored blocks presumably representing different factions. That seems to rule out claims that players will be occupying territory outside Japan right off the bat.

I was watching on the subway, so train noise might have made me miss something, but I didn't hear anyone on the stream name any of the factions involved or give any other details about what the event story will be about. That being the case, it's hard not to consider most of the claims being thrown around in this thread and on Twitter pretty groundless until the event actually comes out.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:
The sad part is your supposed to stop Japan from making a nuke from the holy grail. Koreans are truly the most sensitive right now.

They have pretty good reason to be. Japanese media (and Japan in general) has an abyssal track-record of depicting anything like this. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the game treats this the same way other time-travel shows treats something like "stopping the Lincoln assassination", with lots of "should we really do this?" and "yes, it is painful but we must restore the timeline". I definitely don't expect them to acknowledge anything especially bad that the Japanese army has done.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Rednimue wrote:

But then you hear no one complaining about those historical strategic games, like Iron Heart, where you can literally change the outcome of WWII and Win the war with the axis ... Confused

I understand the heated debate around the cancellation of [NEW LIFE +], there are good reason behind it ... But this is the text book definition of overreaction ...

Did you mean Hearts of Iron IV,which is banned from Steam in China.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:48 pm Reply with quote
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the game treats this the same way other time-travel shows treats something like "stopping the Lincoln assassination", with lots of "should we really do this?" and "yes, it is painful but we must restore the timeline". .

Taking into account that the game's more or less about time traveling and restoring timelines + te fact that the story, as of now, is well over the word count of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy (start multiplying those words and you'll probably reach the current word count on JP. PS: There's 6 or 7 new full blown stories coming, each set in a different age just like Part 1 of FGO) and i would say that they have a good track record on how to handle that kind of stuff.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Needless to say, posts have been deleted.

Leave out the racist and/or vindictive comments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rednimue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Rednimue wrote:

Did you mean Hearts of Iron IV, which is banned from Steam in China.

Exactly that game, I've never heard anyone complaining about It to the level of this FGO controversy ... If someone is so offended by the contents of something they should just ban the product from their country (like china did) or censor It (like germany did with all the nazi Iconography etc ...) and let anyone else enjoy the full version of the product and not push to remove things you don't like (or even outright cancel it) to the level of compromising the vision of the developers/artists behind It.

This doesn't seem the case for FGO (yet), we'll see what happens ...

Last edited by Rednimue on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
natchu96

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:51 pm Reply with quote
GudaGuda events have always been meme heavy pieces of meta humor that treats the fourth wall as something that doesn't exist, even more so than basically every other event in the game, and this story is something they've joked about for years, really.

Honestly this might not be a singularity at all as Nobunaga keeps making herself out to have been from another world, but that alone in my opinion kind of already makes the point that this story, if they actually somehow take it seriously instead of unleashing meme upon meme, is utter nonsense even compared to the history established by canon and is worth the history-rectifying main character's attention.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5