• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fate/Grand Order Game's New Event Set in 1945 Stirs Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:31 am Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
I cannot agree with the practice of preemptively judging an unpublished work guilty of any offense.

So you buy every game you see the trailer for regardless of how you feel about it? Because if not, you are preemptively judging a game based on how it is marketed. This is the same thing.

Quote:
Your example of the portrayal of historical figures is also poorly chosen, because we already know that no person who was alive during or in any way associated with WWII or 20th century Japanese colonialism will even be in the event as major characters (or probably at all).

So? They can still whitewash the historical event itself depending on how they write it, and they typically feature elements from the time period in some way. So what if the Japanese army or these grail-seeking nazi-group is lead by some 19th century samurai instead of a 20th century general? If they portray their goals sympathetically then they are still whitewashing their colonial history.

Quote:
If you want a relevant pattern of FGO dodging history, you should instead point to the fact that there has never been a story or event scenario in which the player travels to the time and place of a historical conflict and finds the historical participants in that conflicts present.

That's...blatantly untrue. We meet Gilles the Reilles in France, Jack the Ripper in London and Nero in ancient Rome.

Quote:
They go to the Hundred Years War and find both the France and England routed by dragons. They go to North America during the American Revolutionary War and find that both the American and British forces already wiped out by the ancient Celts. They go to the area around Jerusalem at the height of the Third Crusade and find both the crusader and Muslim forces already wiped out by the ancient Egyptians and the Knights of the Round Table.

You are shifting goalposts. Messing it all up with fantasy elements is not the same thing as not featuring any of the principal elements from the event in question. They can also do plenty of whitewashing of the history even without any of the central players involved, as I pointed out before. It is all in the writing, not in the selection of servants.

Quote:
Based on that precedent, I expect this upcoming event to not feature any controversial figure and possibly not even to feature WWII (that map of Tokyo is at night, but it doesn't appear to show any damage from bombing, nor were there any military elements in the trailer).

Again, irrelevant. Just the fact that they have chosen that time and place for the setting already guarantees that they will have something to say about it, even if it is only in the dialogue. If they simply chose that time and place as a backdrop and plan to completely ignore any discussion or mention about the factions that actually fought the war (which they won't because we already know that there is a group of nazis trying to build a grail-bomb or something in the mix) then that in itself would be a form of whitewashing.

Quote:
So, if your argument is that any work set in this time period that doesn't specifically focus on wartime and colonial atrocities is offensive, then this event will probably be offensive because FGO has never to my recollection stopped to remember a historical atrocity not committed by the US against native Americans.

That's kind of my point, remember? FGO doesn't have a great track-record of treating history with much respect and when we are talking about an event that is so recent and majorly influential on current politics, that is a much bigger problem than usual. Hence the current controversy.

Quote:
When it comes to portrayals of Japan's role leading up to and during WWII, however, we will have to wait and see what the event story actually contains before it will be possible to criticize with any credibility.

Not really. All of the "criticism" so far just amounts to people being sceptical about FGO's ability to handle a sensitive topic with the respect and responsibility it deseves based on how it is marketed so far. I would love to be proven wrong here, but it wouldn't really make the current criticism any less valid.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
Fair enough. I hadn't considered some of those points.

Demanding an apology for something that hasn't been seen yet still rubs me the wrong way, but I definitely get the strong case for being trepidatious. It's not like FGO hasn't done things that I take issue with before (like two out of three ancient Indian men having super pale skin).
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
^Maybe because India is a very diverse place? It's like how North Africans are different than sub-Saharan Africans, with mixture in the Sahel. However, North India was a very different place in ancient times (i.e. Aryan) before Mughal and conquest, which resulted in mixture with the Dravidians from the south and other groups, hence why they're browner today.
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:23 pm Reply with quote
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:
OtherSideofSky wrote:
I cannot agree with the practice of preemptively judging an unpublished work guilty of any offense.

So you buy every game you see the trailer for regardless of how you feel about it? Because if not, you are preemptively judging a game based on how it is marketed. This is the same thing.

Quote:
Your example of the portrayal of historical figures is also poorly chosen, because we already know that no person who was alive during or in any way associated with WWII or 20th century Japanese colonialism will even be in the event as major characters (or probably at all).

So? They can still whitewash the historical event itself depending on how they write it, and they typically feature elements from the time period in some way. So what if the Japanese army or these grail-seeking nazi-group is lead by some 19th century samurai instead of a 20th century general? If they portray their goals sympathetically then they are still whitewashing their colonial history.

Quote:
If you want a relevant pattern of FGO dodging history, you should instead point to the fact that there has never been a story or event scenario in which the player travels to the time and place of a historical conflict and finds the historical participants in that conflicts present.

That's...blatantly untrue. We meet Gilles the Reilles in France, Jack the Ripper in London and Nero in ancient Rome.

Quote:
They go to the Hundred Years War and find both the France and England routed by dragons. They go to North America during the American Revolutionary War and find that both the American and British forces already wiped out by the ancient Celts. They go to the area around Jerusalem at the height of the Third Crusade and find both the crusader and Muslim forces already wiped out by the ancient Egyptians and the Knights of the Round Table.

You are shifting goalposts. Messing it all up with fantasy elements is not the same thing as not featuring any of the principal elements from the event in question. They can also do plenty of whitewashing of the history even without any of the central players involved, as I pointed out before. It is all in the writing, not in the selection of servants.

Quote:
Based on that precedent, I expect this upcoming event to not feature any controversial figure and possibly not even to feature WWII (that map of Tokyo is at night, but it doesn't appear to show any damage from bombing, nor were there any military elements in the trailer).

Again, irrelevant. Just the fact that they have chosen that time and place for the setting already guarantees that they will have something to say about it, even if it is only in the dialogue. If they simply chose that time and place as a backdrop and plan to completely ignore any discussion or mention about the factions that actually fought the war (which they won't because we already know that there is a group of nazis trying to build a grail-bomb or something in the mix) then that in itself would be a form of whitewashing.

Quote:
So, if your argument is that any work set in this time period that doesn't specifically focus on wartime and colonial atrocities is offensive, then this event will probably be offensive because FGO has never to my recollection stopped to remember a historical atrocity not committed by the US against native Americans.

That's kind of my point, remember? FGO doesn't have a great track-record of treating history with much respect and when we are talking about an event that is so recent and majorly influential on current politics, that is a much bigger problem than usual. Hence the current controversy.

Quote:
When it comes to portrayals of Japan's role leading up to and during WWII, however, we will have to wait and see what the event story actually contains before it will be possible to criticize with any credibility.

Not really. All of the "criticism" so far just amounts to people being sceptical about FGO's ability to handle a sensitive topic with the respect and responsibility it deseves based on how it is marketed so far. I would love to be proven wrong here, but it wouldn't really make the current criticism any less valid.
omg nobody cares when this series parodies events in history. My god are both of you dolts.One of you Seriously getting offended over a game and the other not putting the simple argument that this series is known for parodies of history. [expletive] hell grow the fudge up.
Mistaken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:27 am Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:

Oh please, there's ton of games, movies and books about WWII - this is not something to be insensitive about. It would be another story if author would somehow offend Koreans in plot, but right now there's no point to complain. I mean, they probably would even mention anything about koreans - right now it looks like a battle between imperial army, nazis, chaldea team and... dunno, aliens Laughing

i agree with this. i don't see the problem. it's in fiction after all, what do these people expect? this is a non issue. it's 1945, move on FPS, what happened happened, no-one can change that.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:05 am Reply with quote
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:
omg nobody cares when this series parodies events in history. My god are both of you dolts.One of you Seriously getting offended over a game and the other not putting the simple argument that this series is known for parodies of history. [expletive] hell grow the fudge up.

Pretty sure this thread wouldn't exist if nobody cared. Get lost if you think it is such a stupid topic. You are not adding anything of substance.
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:22 am Reply with quote
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:

Pretty sure this thread wouldn't exist if nobody cared. Get lost if you think it is such a stupid topic. You are not adding anything of substance.
The message above yours otherwise shows why this is such a stupid argument to get mad over. And once again; really nobody cares except critically dumb people who take this ww2 thing way to seriously like if they never played a ww2 game.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:25 am Reply with quote
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:

The message above yours otherwise shows why this is such a stupid argument to get mad over. And once again; really nobody cares except critically dumb people who take this ww2 thing way to seriously like if they never played a ww2 game.

Question: Have you ever seen a mainstream WWII game where you are play as and sympathize with the nazis? Because I guarantee you that there would be just as much if not more controversy over that.

Also, apparently "critically dumb" means "thinks about anything critically".
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:29 am Reply with quote
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:

Question: Have you ever seen a mainstream WWII game where you are play as and sympathize with the nazis? Because I guarantee you that there would be just as much if not more controversy over that.

Yes and even better imma describe the event. Ww2 Japan trying to make nukes only to be stopped by you omg revelating. I mean going against imperial japan to fix the timeline and stopping them omg so much sympathizing. God do your research before you try to act smart.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:04 am Reply with quote
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:

Yes and even better imma describe the event. Ww2 Japan trying to make nukes only to be stopped by you omg revelating. I mean going against imperial japan to fix the timeline and stopping them omg so much sympathizing. God do your research before you try to act smart.

Already addressed this in previous comments. Not repeating myself. Try to keep up or please stop talking to me.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:28 am Reply with quote
OK, where are people getting this "nukes" thing from? I've seen multiple people post about it in this topic, but I've seen no evidence of it in the actual game.

I'll admit that I haven't finished the event story yet, but everything so far has been about trying to escape a weird pocket of space-time where only imperial Tokyo exists.
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:37 am Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
OK, where are people getting this "nukes" thing from? I've seen multiple people post about it in this topic, but I've seen no evidence of it in the actual game.

I'll admit that I haven't finished the event story yet, but everything so far has been about trying to escape a weird pocket of space-time where only imperial Tokyo exists.
http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Strange_Tales_of_the_Imperial_Holy_Grail this is what the event is based off. Practilly super bomb or nuke.
Mistaken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote

Already addressed this in previous comments. Not repeating myself. Try to keep up or please stop talking to me.

how freaking hypocritical for you to say "please don't talk to me" as if HE approached you. no sir, YOU approached him, YOU have to deal with what you started. don't try to act like he started treading on your waters because he didn't.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:04 am Reply with quote
Mistaken wrote:

how freaking hypocritical for you to say "please don't talk to me" as if HE approached you. no sir, YOU approached him, YOU have to deal with what you started. don't try to act like he started treading on your waters because he didn't.

That's...pretty blatantly false. I was having a conversation with some other guy (which ended on good terms) before he started a new one by quoting me (and calling us both "dolts" for caring in the first place). Seriously, go back up and check if you don't believe me. Besides, I'm not obliged to do anything. If he wants to play dumb and force me to repeat the same thing over and over again then I will not pretend that it is going to be a worthwhile discussion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5