• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation's Black Butler II License Expires

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Whis-pur wrote:
I feel like I'm the only one who likes Season 2. It's far better than S1 at least. The first one was so boring.

I tend to agree, though I did enjoy the first season. If viewed as a sort of elsewhere story, the second season is quite good, and personally I loved the ending. An unpopular opinion, but you are definitely not alone. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:02 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
curtisd88 wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
More importantly, Shiki is set to expire on the same day.

Unlike Black Butler II, that actually is a show you should try to buy before it goes out of print.

Shiki is so underrated. Bought it during the Right Stuf BF sale a year ago after watching. Snagged when I knew the license would expire eventually.

Any fan of shiki should grab a copy while they can, the save edition is the only blu ray currently available in the market and once it is gone aniplex will sell in the hundreds rather than under 20 dollars as well as the fact it will probably be in parts. anyone who is still thinking of getting it. GET IT NOW>

Annnddd...one-click ordering, Shiki Part 2. Thanks for the heads up, guys. I guess I missed that announcement.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:19 am Reply with quote
Okay, is it just my imagination, or have a lot of anime licenses been expiring lately? First Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, then Maria-sama ga Miteru, then Rose of Versailles, and now, Black Butler II. (I see people mentioning Shiki, as well, but I think I missed that announcement.) In FMA and Black Butler's cases, you could say that it's because of Aniplex, but something just isn't sitting right with me....
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:51 am Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Black Butler is one of those shows that really needs a more manga faithful reboot given how all over the place the current adaptation is.

I agree. Later anime adaptions have redeemed themselves and are much more faithful to the manga. Unfortunately, I don't really like the approach they took. Making one arc a proper TV season, another arc an OVA series, and another arc a movie. You're right, it does seems all over the place.

They should have given it 1 cour or 2 cour adaptions, then waited a few months until they got another season. It's the approach Weekly Shounen Jump has been using with their newer shounen manga, and it actually works quite well. Unlike the other filler infested trainwrecks that they have.

I also agree, I loved the first season but at that time I hadn't read the manga. Even though I'm now up to date with the manga I still enjoy rewatching the first season as I love the characters and considering they were making most of it up I enjoyed the byplay between Sebastian and Ciel. Season two was a waste of time, I didn't like the ending either.

I'd definitely like to see the public school and Emerald Witch arcs animated.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
MischievousMelody wrote:
Okay, is it just my imagination, or have a lot of anime licenses been expiring lately? First Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, then Maria-sama ga Miteru, then Rose of Versailles, and now, Black Butler II. (I see people mentioning Shiki, as well, but I think I missed that announcement.) In FMA and Black Butler's cases, you could say that it's because of Aniplex, but something just isn't sitting right with me....

Not only because of Aniplex, but because the distributors just choose not to renew them. Especially if they don't think the title is profitable anymore.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
MischievousMelody wrote:
FMA and Brotherhood expired because Aniplex wanted complete control over their works. I assume the same thing is true for Black Butler. Maria is several years old and Nozomi probably thought they weren't going to make any more profit off of it than they already have to make it to worth it to renew it and Rose of Versaille is also several years old and Shiki is probably too niche to be renewed. I'd be concerned if we suddenly lost something big like Utena but licenses don't last forever and all the titles that have expired so far are either old, niche, or Aniplex, so its not really that many titles we've lost. And you can still watch FMA on Crunchyroll and Netflix.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'd be concerned if we suddenly lost something big like Utena but licenses don't last forever and all the titles that have expired so far are either old, niche, or Aniplex, so its not really that many titles we've lost.

Revolutionary Girl Utena is one of the best anime series ever made, but it is not a big title because it is niche, old and not that popular. I love Utena to death, but I will not be surprised if Nozomi loses the licence soon. I would be concerned if Funimation lost the license to something actually big, like Attack on Titan.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:35 am Reply with quote
curtisd88 wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
More importantly, Shiki is set to expire on the same day.

Unlike Black Butler II, that actually is a show you should try to buy before it goes out of print.

Shiki is so underrated. Bought it during the Right Stuf BF sale a year ago after watching. Snagged when I knew the license would expire eventually.

I feel exactly the opposite. I kept hearing raves about the show. When I finally watched it, I was horribly disappointed. It was just another generic vampire series that you could figure out the entire plot from episode two.

Also, there is no need to be concerned over the number of licenses expiring. This has always happened. It’s just more noticeable these past few years as companies actually announce it prominently now, and the streaming rights expire. Previously, you may not now a license expedited until the DVDs went out of stock.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:49 pm Reply with quote
And here is the official confirmation regarding Shiki:

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1008148434036150272
Mistaken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:22 am Reply with quote
holy cow, a masterpiece and a trash story die with each other. so sad since shiki is so freaking good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2