• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2018 (First Half) [2018-05-31]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
One piece and attack on titans numbers are kinda close; with a little luck and the 3rd season it might actually surpass one piece by the end of the year.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
With the anime premiering in January, I wonder just where The Promised Neverland’s placement will be on this type of list a year from now. I knew it was a popular and successful series, but I didn’t know that it was doing this well. Shocked

Last edited by Joshua Zarate on Wed May 30, 2018 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:57 pm Reply with quote
2018, not 2017.

Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
One piece and attack on titans numbers are kinda close; with a little luck and the 3rd season it might actually surpass one piece by the end of the year.

First half of 2017, One Piece sold 5,969,851 copies. Second half would've been 11,495,532 - 5,969,851 = 5,525,681. This half-year is 3,110,049??? The hell kind of drop is that?

And conversely, when did The Seven Deadly Sins get so popular?
2017.1: 1,881,062
2017.2: 1,711,509
2018.1: 2,769,915
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:23 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
2018, not 2017.

Nekelen Tinsley wrote:

First half of 2017, One Piece sold 5,969,851 copies. Second half would've been 11,495,532 - 5,969,851 = 5,525,681. This half-year is 3,110,049??? The hell kind of drop is that?

Going by the dates that this data was collected One Piece only had one volume be released during that time period.
MalaRezzy

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:09 am Reply with quote
It's looking good for The Promised Neverland also good stuff from My Hero Academia & Horikoshi. Proud of him:)
-SP-

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:56 am Reply with quote
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:

Attack on Titan definitely will not surpass One Piece

Surprised to see that Black Clover is doing better than both One Punch Man and Tokyo Ghoul:re
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:09 am Reply with quote
Well if people doubted Black Clover being popular and doing well...there you go lol.

It's awesome seeing Haikyu, MHA and Black Clover doing so well.
superdome1

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:39 am Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:

Attack on Titan definitely will not surpass One Piece

Surprised to see that Black Clover is doing better than both One Punch Man and Tokyo Ghoul:re

I think it’s a bit deceiving in regards to the numbers. Some series like BC, Haikyuu, and SDS have had 3 volumes out since December 2017. And I believe SDS and Haikyuu had their 3rd release in April, and BC has the first 2 weeks of May.
This probably includes backlog as well. While series like TPN, TGre, and MHA have had 2 volumes. One in Jan/Feb and one in March/April, plus backlog. Their November
numbers are only counted as the last 10 days of sales to the present. OPM has had 2 releases as well, 1 in Dec and 1 in April. So these are a bit skewed. If you look at individual volumes, OPM, TPN, and TGre have significantly better sales than BC. I think it’s just BC got a bit lucky due to its release dates and some bit of backlog from its initial anime release.
Tarik Loq

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:51 am Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
2018, not 2017.

Nekelen Tinsley wrote:

Going by the dates that this data was collected One Piece only had one volume be released during that time period.

Yes and given the fact that digital sales aren't included.
superdome1

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:59 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Well if people doubted Black Clover being popular and doing well...there you go lol.

It depends on “popular”. Looking at Black Clover’s individual volume sales, it barely enters the top 50, despite having a volume release in December 2017 plus an ongoing anime series. Food Wars still outsells it, it just didn’t have a release in December to compete.
To me, you have to look at both lists to determine popularity. It is doing better than before definitely, but the low volume numbers compared to its competitors are a bit telling at this point.
MeliodasWarrior

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:11 am Reply with quote
Good to see The Seven Deadly Sins surpassing My Hero even tho I love both series.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:22 am Reply with quote
How old are you guys? To those people saying that "there is no way Attack on Titan will surpass One Piece" clearly you do not remember back in 2013 when that exact thing happened. Attack on Titan has beaten One Piece before and it can do it again. Saying it won't lacks an understanding of history.

Lastly, and I always feel like I have to say this, Volume Sales does NOT mean a manga is better than the manga it outsells. Looking at some of your comments, I wonder if you guys understand that.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:43 am Reply with quote
superdome1 wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:

It depends on “popular”. Looking at Black Clover’s individual volume sales, it barely enters the top 50, despite having a volume release in December 2017 plus an ongoing anime series. Food Wars still outsells it, it just didn’t have a release in December to compete.
To me, you have to look at both lists to determine popularity. It is doing better than before definitely, but the low volume numbers compared to its competitors are a bit telling at this point.

I mean even with it latest volume out, which would remove around 250k, it would still be in the top 10. Of course a few series in jump outsell it, but It's still a great seller. I'm just happy to see it up there.

We will see by the end of the year how everything shapes up.

Edit: I'm super happy to see that MHA is in the top 5 even with 1 volume less then most. Very cool.
Bloodstrain

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:48 am Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
How old are you guys? To those people saying that "there is no way Attack on Titan will surpass One Piece" clearly you do not remember back in 2013 when that exact thing happened. Attack on Titan has beaten One Piece before and it can do it again. Saying it won't lacks an understanding of history.

Actually you don't seem to understand. One Piece has only released 1 new volume in this timeframe while AoT has released 2. If you look at volume sales OP volumes still sell double what AoT does. Also in 2013 AoT still sold 2 million less the OP. One Piece has been in 1st for 10 years.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote
MalaRezzy wrote:
It's looking good for The Promised Neverland also good stuff from My Hero Academia & Horikoshi. Proud of him:)

Same! I'm so glad to see them high on this list with some of the heavy hitters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2