• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: I Want to Eat Your Pancreas Film Reveals New Visual, Additional Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:10 pm Reply with quote
This will break me... ;x
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:00 pm Reply with quote
A Walk To Remember the anime, ey. Well, hopefully this is better written than a Nicholas Sparks novel. Personally, I don't automatically give points just because a character has cancer, so I'm hoping this has a good story and doesn't just use the illness as a crutch.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:51 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
A Walk To Remember the anime, ey. Well, hopefully this is better written than a Nicholas Sparks novel. Personally, I don't automatically give points just because a character has cancer, so I'm hoping this has a good story and doesn't just use the illness as a crutch.

I agree with you, to the extent of how powerful the character drama needs to drive a story like this, particularly when you already 'know' the outcome in a physical sense. That strange title can lead to a very different impression, at least.
merr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:13 am Reply with quote
They really need to work on that title if this gets localized. Either leave it untranslated or adapt into something like “I Hate Your Guts.” Anything is better than what they’re calling it now.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
They really need to work on that title if this gets localized. Either leave it untranslated or adapt into something like “I Hate Your Guts.” Anything is better than what they’re calling it now.

The title is actually sort of significant to the story. It's explained at basically the very beginning that the girl saw a documentary about how people in the olden days ate an animal's organs when they got sick. So one of the first things she says to the boy after he finds out about her illness is that she wants to eat his pancreas. And this phrase actually gains a lot more metaphorical/emotional weight as the story goes on and they get to know each other more.

And I'm pretty sure it's meant to be strange and bizarre, in both Japanese and English.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Your suggestion makes absolutely no sense. The original title "Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai", your title is 4Kids-level of localization.
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:

It's the title it has. In japanese it has about the same "that's a weird title" impact that you're complaining about in english, which means the english title matches and is thus a good translation of the japanese title.

Changing the title would be an effort to change the work. Not an attempt to replicate the impact of the japanese work but to distort the creators' intent because you think you've got a better idea: exactly the 4kids localisation you're complaining about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1