• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Magical Boys

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Surprised there's no mention of Pretear, or as I've referred to it before, Snow White and the Seven Magical Boys.
gilnokoibito

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote
The Shugo Chara boys getting no love? I also wonder if a certain someone from Sailor Moon would count? And as far as manga, Oto x Maho is stunningly good despite its trap card.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Are you kidding me? Absolutely no mention of Shugo Chara!, when Peach-Pit actually approached the topic of magical boys seriously, unlike the awful parody on this list. Really? The only magical girl series that has actual gender equality in it, unlike Sailor Moon. I knew this place was bias, but this is ridiculous. How do some of these things even qualify as magical boy series? It's a stretch.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:49 pm Reply with quote
gilnokoibito wrote:
The Shugo Chara boys getting no love? I also wonder if a certain someone from Sailor Moon would count? And as far as manga, Oto x Maho is stunningly good despite its trap card.
You could argue that, but if you could argue that, well, they mention Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne in the DNAngel blurb and really, there's no way you couldn't call Chiaki/Kaito Sinbad a magical boy. he's even got his own mascot and transformation item.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:19 am Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Are you kidding me? Absolutely no mention of Shugo Chara!, when Peach-Pit actually approached the topic of magical boys seriously, unlike the awful parody on this list. Really? The only magical girl series that has actual gender equality in it, unlike Sailor Moon. I knew this place was bias, but this is ridiculous. How do some of these things even qualify as magical boy series? It's a stretch.

Shugo Chara is a magical girl show that has a magical boy in it. Same as CCS and a few others people have mentioned here. This was about shows centering on magical boys, that's why the entries are labeled as just the anime themselves, not such and such character from such and such anime, like I usually do. In all of them, the magical boy is the main character.

I'm uh, not sure about the 'bias' part of your post? What kind of staff-wide favoritism is there evidence for that, uh, revolves around magic boys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:34 am Reply with quote
I read the first ten volumes of Saint Seiya a while back -- only stopped because that was all the library system had -- and it left me wondering just how much influence it had on Sailor Moon. Especially when the reincarnation stuff came up.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:14 am Reply with quote
I'm going to El-Hazard in the new poll. I don't know what superpower I'd get if I went there but I'm certain the condition for using it would be that I had to refrain from making puns. I love puns.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:38 am Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
Surprised there's no mention of Pretear, or as I've referred to it before, Snow White and the Seven Magical Boys.

I'd exclude it on technically, since the males of Pretear are more magic weapon than magic user, sort of like a reverse-action Touken Ranbu.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:28 am Reply with quote
How about Kämpfer? The main character is a magical boy. He has the transformation scene, the "cute" mascot and is even caught up in someone else's war.
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:30 am Reply with quote
in your poll, kyou kara maou's main setting is called Shin Makoku. it looks sad just having the show title Sad

also, nyanko-sensei isn't a cat boy... or even a cat.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this list is about shows where magical boys are the main focus, not shows where the main character is a girl but there's some magical boys hanging around. Otherwise I'm sure the Sailor Starlights would've been mentioned (though they're sort of opposite to Mahou Shoujo Ore so it's sort of hard to say if they're magical boys or girls)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Ayumu is BEST Magical Boy....it's ridiculous anyone would possibly question this. Rolling Eyes

But yeah, Syaoran should DEFINITELY be on this list; he's also way better than the others mentioned here. As in, he's a magical boy who is treated seriously.

But if we're going to list anime that is neither parody OR "magical girl anime with a side magical boy" there's Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok.

HELLZ YEAH ♥
peno

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:

Nobody got transported to the Pokemon world, though, did they? Isekai is supposed to be about getting transported to or trapped in a different world from your own native world (at least as I understand the definition). All the characters in Pokemon already live there, which would make it a fantasy world, but not an isekai world.

I know I am a little late to this debate, since the poll is not active anymore, but when I saw your post, I had to react. You must understand that there is no one single unified Pokémon world, just like there is not one single unified Digital world in the Digimon franchise. In Pokémon franchise there are many alternate versions of Pokémon world for different game, manga and anime lines. For example, in anime, we already have two different versions of Pokémon world, one for the main anime and another for movies 20 and 21. Then there are Origins, Generations and Mystery Dungeon anime spin-offs, each with their own unique Pokémon world.
And Mystery Dungeon is where your statement about no one being transported to Pokémon world is wrong, since the main premise of Mystery Dungeon franchise is about human being transported to version of Pokémon world where (supposedly) no humans live and being turned to Pokémon. And that, BTW, is my ideal Isekai world. Seriously, being turned to (hopefully strong) Pokémon and exploring dungeons is my ideal about spending life in alternate world Wink

spoiler[And, personal note, I just happen to write a fanfic about three Japanese elementary school boys from world similar to our, except no Pokémon franchise exist there, being thrown to the main anime (or maybe the alternate M20/21, I didn't fully decide yet) Pokémon world and had to adapt on living there as well as try to find a way back home (and hopefully introduce Pokémon franchise to their world, once they'll get back Laughing )]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2