• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Rising of the Shield Hero Novel 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:55 am Reply with quote
You forgot the most important thing. Keel is a girl!! Laughing Kids are fun
seltzermx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
You realize he's asking them to voluntarily become slaves so he can use his boost to make them stronger so they can defend themselves in the future. It's being used as a tool not as actual slavery. Has nothing to do with the western equivalent of slavery. It's not "problematic".
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
seltzermx wrote:
It's being used as a tool not as actual slavery.

O ... kay?
seltzermx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
seltzermx wrote:
It's being used as a tool not as actual slavery.

O ... kay?

There is a difference between:

1) You are enslaved; you obey all orders; are worked to death; not fed; raped; brutally killed on a whim.

2) You willingly join as a "slave"; you gain xp and skills 50x faster than anyone; you are fed; you are not raped; you are protected.

The slavery in the novel (only the one used by Naofumi) is merely a tool used to empower the weak kids so they aren't taken by the actual slavers again. It's not promoting the message "OMG look how good slavery is". There is a difference.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
seltzermx wrote:

There is a difference between:

1) You are enslaved; you obey all orders; are worked to death; not fed; raped; brutally killed on a whim.

2) You willingly join as a "slave"; you gain xp and skills 50x faster than anyone; you are fed; you are not raped; you are protected.

Most slave masters throughout history have fed their slaves and helped them get strong. That's kinda the point.

And there are other types of slavery than chattel slavery as practiced in early America. Many forms allow the slave to enter someone's service "freely" -- though often the alternative was starving in a ditch. Just read the rules for slavery in the Old Testament -- it's pretty much what you're describing in (2), but of course the in actual practice the masters had plenty of room to abuse the system. Indeed, given the legal status of demi-humans in Melromarc, it's not clear that any of Raphtalia's people have any real alternative but to serve Naofumi.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the slave-buying is an annoying step back for Naofumi. Why can't he just hire the kids instead?!

The kids also felt undeveloped to me, with few, if any, having much individuality. I hope they come into their own a bit more in future volumes.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
oh boy, will they.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:02 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I agree that the slave-buying is an annoying step back for Naofumi. Why can't he just hire the kids instead?!

The kids also felt undeveloped to me, with few, if any, having much individuality. I hope they come into their own a bit more in future volumes.

You're missing the point as to why he took them as slaves. With the Slave curse on he can make them MUCH stronger then they otherwise would be because of all the growth buffs his shields provides which will make them more viable for fighting in the waves.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:31 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
You're missing the point as to why he took them as slaves. With the Slave curse on he can make them MUCH stronger then they otherwise would be because of all the growth buffs his shields provides which will make them more viable for fighting in the waves.

Thermian argument.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:13 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:

Yes, the author constructed the story to justify Naofumi's actions. An author can construct a story to justify anything. And those decisions can be criticized if they justify problematic actions.
the green death

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:03 am Reply with quote
Unrelated to the (IMO gross) slavery aspect of this series: while skimming the article to avoid most spoilers it sounds like the series isn’t going to be another book length fight scene. However adding more and more characters may serve to keep the most interest characters like Raphtalia in the background
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1