• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Switch Game Has All Previous Playable Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xavon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
AngryMoM wrote:
It has everything you could want in a smash game.

Bah, not even close.

Give me TIfa, Midna (form shifting), and Chun Li, and it'll be getting closer.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
It is an enhanced port of Smash 4, let me explain why:
    • New gameplay mechanics
    • Huge move changes and balancing for old characters
    • New Characters
    • New Stages
    • Different Logo

spoiler[I have just described the changes from Street Fighter IV to Ultra Street Fighter IV. This is an Ultra version of Smash 4, plain and simple.]

You also described the changes between any two games in this series. This isn't a port.
anddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
anddo! wrote:
    • New gameplay mechanics
    • New Characters
    • New Stages
    • Different Logo

spoiler[I have just described the changes from Street Fighter IV to Ultra Street Fighter IV. This is an Ultra version of Smash 4, plain and simple.]

You also described the changes between any two games in this series. This isn't a port.

• The Smash 4 announcer returns for this game. (https://twitter.com/XanderMobusVO/status/1006652458104307714/photo/1)
• The 3D graphical assets are identical to Smash 4.
• Ridley's announcement splash screen is in the same style as the Smash 4 announcements. (https://i.imgur.com/Y7Kc0iq.jpg)
The very fact we're debating about this at all fundamentally proves it's questionably similar to Smash 4, because it absolutely is Smash 4. It's the MK8 "Deluxe" version of Smash 4 disguised as a new game.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I’m just really hoping the Inklings and Ridley aren’t the only new characters. That would just be sad. There are so many characters that deserve to be in the game.
Sulfy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
I’m just really hoping the Inklings and Ridley aren’t the only new characters. That would just be sad. There are so many characters that deserve to be in the game.

I suspect there'll be at least a couple more additions, plus DLC is another route they can go.

To me, this new iteration feels like Monster Hunter Generations - not a port but it's not *that* big of a jump up in terms of changes in fundamentals (e.g. MH4 --> World).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

Every character is deserving yet everyone of them is not going to be in the game for one reason or the next.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:57 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I don't see why being a port or not matters. The reason people would be concerned is because they want new or changed content with the most recent graphical and physical capabilities. Port or not, this game clearly has those, and any lack of truly improved graphics is because Smash Bros really doesn't have much to grow on with its already stylistic approach.

Reusing assets from Smash 4 is smart. They can add in a full new roster without spending too much time remaking a crapton of characters they remade just a few years ago, focus more on balancing the gameplay (like the new techniques that make certain competitive skills easier to pull off) and physics engine, and add in new characters and stages and, most importantly, new features.

It's not like I don't understand those who are disappointed that it doesn't look completely different, but I feel like Wii U Smash was a great game, so building upon that is less risky (for both the developers and the fans) and just a better idea overall. To me, I'm far less worried than I'd be if they started from scratch again.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Really glad to see it's a new game and not a port. I mean it's obvious from how they originally revealed it that it most likely wasn't one, but it's good to see that it's not.

The most exciting reveal (aside from it not being a port) was actually Leaf being an alternate of Pokemon Trainer. It's about darn time she gets to show up again.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Daisy Ridley!! Star Wars collab confirmed!?

Super Robot Wars reuses assets all of the time and the games are still fantastic (I know little to nothing about Super Smash Bros)
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Fingers crossed for Simon Belmont, Ragna, or Klonoa.
Florete

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:10 am Reply with quote
"Link's getting a new moveset based on Breath of the Wild!"

Link has one altered move. Wink

Yeah, to me this seems like an enhanced port, and that's a good thing in my book. It's clearly more similar to Smash 4 than any other Smash game was to the previous iteration, meaning they're trying to build more than recreate.
Stabman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:57 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:
anddo! wrote:
    • New gameplay mechanics
    • New Characters
    • New Stages
    • Different Logo

• The Smash 4 announcer returns for this game. (https://twitter.com/XanderMobusVO/status/1006652458104307714/photo/1)
• The 3D graphical assets are identical to Smash 4.
• Ridley's announcement splash screen is in the same style as the Smash 4 announcements. (https://i.imgur.com/Y7Kc0iq.jpg)
The very fact we're debating about this at all fundamentally proves it's questionably similar to Smash 4, because it absolutely is Smash 4. It's the MK8 "Deluxe" version of Smash 4 disguised as a new game.

That's some pretty shoddy reasoning.

There's no rule that a new Smash needs a new announcer or a new splash screen (the splash screen especially does not need to be new since it's not going to be used much).

Determining something to be a port because of graphical asset reuse is bull. Many sequels reuse assets from previous games, touching them up if they need to. In many cases it's stupid of them not to reuse assets, this game in particular being a prime example considering the small difference in power between Wii U and Switch.

There's one other small matter that kind of invalidates your argument:

Nintendo themselves...
acknowledging that this game...
is a NEW GAME and is not a port
SamTheNayru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:44 am Reply with quote
AngryMoM wrote:

Except for a story mode similar to Subspace Emissary...

Smash WiiU bored me pretty quickly. More fighters is good I guess, but I'm not that much of a competitive player. Brawl had Subspace, which definitely made the game worth 60 euros. As for WiiU, I ended up not playing that too much because of the lack of single player options.
I'll probably skip Ultimate. It's not an Ultimate version for me without some single player options. Heck, even Mario Tennis is getting a story mode now. I was really hoping Smash would get one again too.
Stabman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:41 am Reply with quote
SamTheNayru wrote:
AngryMoM wrote:

Except for a story mode similar to Subspace Emissary...

Smash WiiU bored me pretty quickly. More fighters is good I guess, but I'm not that much of a competitive player. Brawl had Subspace, which definitely made the game worth 60 euros. As for WiiU, I ended up not playing that too much because of the lack of single player options.
I'll probably skip Ultimate. It's not an Ultimate version for me without some single player options. Heck, even Mario Tennis is getting a story mode now. I was really hoping Smash would get one again too.

What makes you think Ultimate isn't getting some kind of single player campaign/options?
We don't know anything about that particular aspect of the game yet.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:00 am Reply with quote
Just saying, but gone are the days when people would still play Melee by the time Ultimate comes out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3