• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Gundam Plot Coherency Scale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:01 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
And in that second sentence you perfectly dismantled your entire counter point. If a term is not adequately defined, it will always be possible to say that the criteria are not met. It would just be a he said / she said situation which goes absolutely no where.

Sure. I agree it's not airtight. The point is spoiler[the (probable) intent behind the clause, and that it's not about Newtypes or psychics but instead Spacenoids in general.]

SilverTalon01 wrote:
That doesn't make sense though and undermines the entire point of the box. spoiler[Now I agree that they killed him because he was a liability, and maybe he did know who hired him. However, what you're suggesting is infinitely more damning than some clause nobody even knew would ever matter. This creates a massive issue if he could prove that. Why would the blackmail even involve the box at that point? If you could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the entire Federation government was created through mass assassination, that would likely have caused immediate revolt and withdrawal. Him having any proof of that completely trumps the existence of the box, and while it is possible that he could have had such proof, that would just dump on the story even more.]

Those aren't separate things, though. There are essentially two elements to the contents of the Box: spoiler[the missing clause, and the fact that the Laplace Incident was perpetrated by factions within the Federation government. The former only becomes especially relevant in the 0096 part of the story, where the goal is to "correct" the Universal Century; before (and even during, for pretty much anybody other than Cardeas and Syam) all that matters is the Federation false flag attack aspect. Laplace's Box is both of these things, and the clause isn't what's being used as blackmail; it's the motive behind the stuff being used for blackmail.]
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:37 am Reply with quote
It's been a while since I've watched Unicorn, and I only watched the TV series version, so maybe this is wrong or changed from the OAVs, but didn't spoiler[that last article suggest that given the rise of what Newtypes could be considered, *all rulership (of space?) should be turned over to them*?]
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I have to disagree a lot with IBO, IBO made sense for the first season then the second season had a lot of moments that didn't make a lick of sense to me. Especially McGillis thinking one Gundam would just make everyone bow to him or something. Orga's thinking was also majorly off from the first as well. I just thought the second season was inconsistent with the first and largely incoherent in spots.
Oh and sudden living mobile armor attacking everyone at one point in season 2. Something that was never even mentioned as being a thing in season 1.

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
docsane wrote:
Also, for the record, the "Moon Moon arc" in ZZ is two episodes. Two. How is that an "arc"?

There is a two parter at the first part of the show with them but they show up later in the show near the end so maybe he's counting those also?
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Good lord that's a flood of replies. Seems this article was a bit of a divisive one, lol~

Really makes me wonder though with all of this back & forth, how likely would a "modern" anime fan around age 16 or younger take to some of the older Gundam shows given how old/dated they are now? The industry sure has changed over the last few decades since a lot of these were released and younger fans certainly might not find the hand-drawn stuff as endearing.

Kicksville wrote:
Siiiiiiggghhhh
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
Hmm hmm hmm.......I've gabbed a bit in the past on the subject of the Gundam Z, ZZ, & Char's BluRay releases about Char likely being Tomino's self-insert character and a lot of that tying into his general IRL depression.

Really made me wonder when I saw Reconguista in G if his age combined with a lack of a proper insert character ultimately is what contributed to the show's near-schizophrenic pacing and characterisations.

I understand G-Reco isn't the easiest show to follow, but writing it off as "Tomino is a craaaaaayyyzzyyyyy old person!!!" is just a frustrating to me as going "This one sucks because Tomino was depressed" or whatever. I mean, like, I get it, not caring for the show because of its presentation, but it seems like people always go to such extremes when blaming Tomino for things. Why isn't "I didn't like the writing" enough?

...and like...I really shouldn't, since it's not like this'll change anyone's opinion, but the pedantic nerd in me has to bite since there's a "why" in there (I can't help iiiiit Anime cry)

That's on me as I was trying to abbreviate what was pretty much an entire analytical essay into a tldr blurb.

Depression should read more as "a young man's posturing about the tragedies of the world around him and his helplessness in wanting to change them". All of the angst and youthful ideology that comes with that.

Note that I didn't say "Tomino is a crazy old person", I intended the comment more to imply that the show is lacking any sort of lightning rod/anchoring identity/character/concept/personality. The show reads in a lot of ways like a creative person going "Uhoh, this might be the last time I get to make something - let's use ALL OF IT" ....and then proceeds to try and realise every single concept or desire they've wanted to write about over the course of their career but with lack of focus and oversight. I'd reference The Silmarillion since it's not as easy a read as say The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings.

It's not to say that I dislike any of them - it's just that I'm tempting to armchair-rationalise the writing of a fantasy world in the same way people can dive in & comb over Tolkien works - knowing a lot about the writer in turn informs you more about the world they created.

Most of the Universal Century shows have Char at the center of them. Same as Setsuna was in 00. Much as Gandalf and The One Ring were recurring elements in Tolkien's works. Even if some Gundam shows are a little strange (Turn A), they usually had a fairly okay cast tying them together, but Reconguista never struck me as having that big moment where I as a member of the audience felt like I was living in that world through any one (or multiple) of the cast, and I'd say the same of The Silmarillion - though that may be due to my personal taste.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
To be fair on my part, I should've specified, I am thinking not only of your specific reply but also years and years of people going "It's because Tomino is depressed" or "Grouchy old man Tomino" or whatever else, to dismiss things they didn't like. I remember it all the way back to the old days of Gundam.com (the good ol' days, where people argued about whether model kits were more adult than action figures!)
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
Note that I didn't say "Tomino is a crazy old person", I intended the comment more to imply that the show is lacking any sort of lightning rod/anchoring identity/character/concept/personality. The show reads in a lot of ways like a creative person going "Uhoh, this might be the last time I get to make something - let's use ALL OF IT" ....and then proceeds to try and realise every single concept or desire they've wanted to write about over the course of their career but with lack of focus and oversight. I'd reference The Silmarillion since it's not as easy a read as say The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings.

Like...that's a fair opinion. But then why even bring up his age at all? Yeah, you're not obligated to write an essay every time or anything...but you get what I mean about people bringing up his alleged state of mind or age or whatever else all the time to dismiss deliberate writing choices, right? It seems like if you're going to say you didn't like something, with anything else one would say "I didn't like it", whereas it seems like the default position with Gundam/robot fans is "Tomino was too old and sad".

So...like...sorry to single you out here over years of pent up fandom frustration. I am just too old and sad. ;_;
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Don't ever say you doubt the power, consistency, and practicality of the Neo Holland Gundam
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
Don't ever say you doubt the power, consistency, and practicality of the Neo Holland Gundam

Never forget that Japan's idea of an American Gundam is one that rides a surfboard, has revolvers for it's main armament, and looks like a football player whose shoulderpads turn into boxing gloves. Gundam Maxter is the best Gundam possibly in all of mecha anime. And let's not forget that it's piloted by a boxer whose mother sang him "America the Beautiful" as a lullaby

God I love G Gundam so much
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:59 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Why link SEED and Destiny when you separate out series like the orignal Gundam and Zeta?

Also, I really disagree with the placement of SEED and BF Try. Seed was incredibly coherent to the point it was probably too simple. There has been real life talk about the issues surrounding designer babies. A new generation raised on jealousy and hatred towards the designer babies discriminates against them to the point that they almost all flee to make their own community (totally happened to groups in history). Fanatical terrorists start a war by massacring civilians. The war developments make sense as well. The more moderate factions lose power to the nationalists. Yeah, Kira being there where Strike was and just happening to know Athrun is awful convenient, but the same is true of 0083 which was ranked coherent.

The only real issue the author seems to have with SEED is the neutron jammers, but why? They made some tech, and the same people found a way to counter it. Sure, how they work may not be totally unrealistic. Neither is the fusion reactors powering these suits in some of the coherent series.

How exactly does this lose in coherency to a story where the entire second half of the story is about getting this magical Gundam which will somehow make everyone bow down before it and do what the pilot tells them?

Try should be unlinked and bumped down. BF had some basic consistency with how it works. Try is basically the G Gundam of Build Fighter. I think the fact that G Gundam is way down there pretty well explains why Try is up too high.

Strong agree with every point made here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4