• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: Survey: Tell us about your favorite anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
They aren't American. Not sure how not being American makes them untrustworthy. Europeans often put their currency behind the number.

Legal recourse. If my information were inappropriately handled and sold off to XYZ, I’d want to be able to do something about it. That becomes a lot more difficult when different countries are involved.

And “I know the people” who work or own this company does not make it trustworthy. If anything, that makes it even less so because now there’s an agenda.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Legal recourse. If my information were inappropriately handled and sold off to XYZ, I’d want to be able to do something about it. That becomes a lot more difficult when different countries are involved.

ANN isn't American.

Last edited by Tempest on Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
NormanS wrote:
Message to the survey creator: Looks like one of the options in one of the questions has an anime title with a wrong picture associated with it. It's saiunkoku monogatari but it has the Baka no test picture. image

Now that's a travesty. Saiunkoku Monogatari deserves better than that.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Who is the "Anime Fan Research Group"? This survey is the only hit a google search returns on the name.
If I thought up a fancy name and paid for an ad, could I collect personal data on all you guys too? Very Happy

I used to be on the Internet Survey community for a while (lots of customer surveys, offering Amazon and Domino's cards, although check http://www.surveypolice.com to weed out the cheap or disreputable ones), so I could go into this one with a few experienced grains of salt...

First flag was that a large number of them seemed to be Viz series, although I didn't count--
So even though I technically didn't WANT a "New series or update" of Ranma 1/2, Urusei, Maison Ikkoku (you couldn't do a new Maison except for a remake, that revival Ranma episode for the Rumik World exhibit wasn't bad even without the original Kuno, but that revival Urusei episode was...wow, the new kids don't get it), I first wondered whether the mysterious patron was Viz trying to get a handle on which shows either to revive or dip a toe into the new waters of "Co-production". Figured it was safer to say yes on those, just to keep some data on customer interest, maybe for, ahem, which series to put on Blu-ray next. (Also said yes on new Slayers, although Slayers Revolution was good, but too otaku-era corrupted.)
Although they supposedly want to find out our, quote, "favorites", somebody's sure going Remake-happy, and if it's a US company asking, no points for why. Confused

I remember one survey that was sounding us out about a possible movie remake (can't say which, so you'd just have to ask my lil' friend...), and followed with "What other classic action franchises (sic) would you like us to remake next?: The Godfather, Pulp Fiction, The Dirty Dozen, The Magnificent Seven?"
IOW, they didn't really know, they just thought they had a new cottage-industry remaking SOMETHING.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Uh not sure about this.

I could say what my favorite anime are but I think everyone here already knows what they are.

Besides, I think AoT and DBZ are only ones I would pick...
Oops, just told everyone again! Razz
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:

ANN isn't American.

Technical thing here: While the ANN staff is multinational, the founder of ANN (jsevakis) is American. So, ANN is American-made.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:09 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Tempest wrote:
ANN isn't American.

Technical thing here: While the ANN staff is multinational, the founder of ANN (jsevakis) is American. So, ANN is American-made.

From the FAQ:
Quote:
Anime News Network, Inc. the corporation that maintains ANN is a Canadian corporation.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:49 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
When doing this kind of public research, it's common to obfuscate the name of the people behind it. If Section 23 were to ask you "Would you be interested in a remake of XYZ," then Section 23's competitors would instantly learn what Section 23 is looking into as potential new business. Likewise, if a well known Hollywood studio were to ask the questions, it might affect your answers. Many survey companies (google surveys for example), do anonymous surveys, and don't even inform you that they are being paid to run the survey. ANN always informed our readers when we are being paid for something... TBH, it didn't occur to me that I could just leave the name blank.

That's been my experience with Internet surveys, even for some of the movie-related surveys where you very much DO know the source it's coming from--
The actual knocking on Internet doors is contracted by independent agencies, the companies are only interested in the numbers...Now, who exactly is interested in so many "Remakes" and "Updates", that's the million-yen question.

Thought Viz might have a hand in it, but the series picks seem to be across the board, so might be some independent licensor who wants to get into "anime" but doesn't have a handle on what are the "classics" and what aren't.
Look, whatever it is, just say you want more Maison and Urusei Anime smile , even though the only graphic they could find for the latter was the Blu-ray from last February.
D-Rock

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:02 am Reply with quote
Would love to see more of Fullmetal Alchemist, which would most likely be based off of Brotherhood. I was thinking either a prequel centering around Roy Mustang before he joined the military, or a sequel focusing on the Elric brothers' children. Hiromu Arakawa must be involved or it's a no-go. Only she could pull it off.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Yes, the website was founded by an American. But here is the current technical reality: The corporation is Canadian. Founder of the corporation in Canadian. Ownership of the corporation is 0% American. Mind & management are 0% American. The staff is majority non-US based.

If someone doesn't trust non-American companies, they probably shouldn't trust us. I have no idea why they wouldn't trust companies based on that alone, but that's their prerogative.

I do personally tend to be more trusting of companies from countries with higher privacy standards, ergo Europe > Canada > USA. However this doesn't mean I automatically distrust companies simply because they are American.

The company behind this survey has chosen to remain anonymous. That is a very legitimate reason to not trust them with your PII. Not trusting them because you suspect they are not an American company (quite possibly, they are an American company with research staff), is ... a bad kind of nationalism.

Last edited by Tempest on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Seriously though. Not to mention a lot of them are extremely recent or in one case already has a remake(HxH). I could see a few of these, particularly the recent ones, having room for a continuation, but remakes and reboots of many, unless there is a guarantee of a complete adaptation... isn't something I'm interested in.
I know it is bizarre, with the Madhouse version there was 2 new arcs they animated, one being pretty long. If they did another version now it would be just the same thing, more or less.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Dicku-kun wrote:
It's kinda random as some don't need a remake/modernization (ongoing animes/recent ones like SAO) but man this just reminded me that we need to get a Deadman Wonderland reboot or Reborn in the future.

I thought this way for a second, but technically the question was "a new animated series was created or modernized"

This could easily also mean sequels for more recent stuff.

My main issue with this that Gunslinger Girl wasn't an option
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
It escapes me why fans of older titles would want remakes rather than license rescues. A noteworthy work needs no renovation to retain its value—as opposed to its lucrativeness or accessibility—whereas a pedestrian or compromised work is unlikely to be much better for being spruced up. We lose in both cases!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Warukyure

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about any of you, but I am EXTREMELY angry over the fact that Saiunkoku Monogatori's picture from the 4th Batch is actually a picture of Baka X Test.

Like WOW, thats pretty bad.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping that at the end, they would give us the option of writing in a few names. There are a quite few of older series that I would love to see remade.

Outlanders is screaming to be remade into a TV series. If a success, they can follow up with Caravan Kidd, and finally, Drakuun.

Gall Force is another good option for remaking.

Adapt the Orion manga into a movie, too.

Need to find some falling stars to wish upon........
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5