• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J-Novel Club to Suspend [New Life+] Novel Sales After July 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Ok, first of all, people in here need to cool it with the Quote Pyramids of Giza, and second of all please tone it down a notch in general
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Ok
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Folks gotta calm down and remember: This is not as radical a change as it may seem. The laws haven't changed. No one has banned free speech, either in Japan or in America. Publishing companies have always had the right to refuse to publish anything, and they cancel series all the time. The only difference here is that low sales didn't directly cause the cancellation (although it was probably a factor, as I'm sure companies consider how many readers they stand to lose if they let a controversial author off the hook.)

So if the laws haven't changed, what HAS changed? The culture, and people's attitudes. The public -not everyone, but enough people- have decided they don't want to put up with MINE's brand of racism, and it's the job of a mass-market publisher to respond to the public.

What's happened here isn't Orwellian, in fact in a way it's very democratic. The people spoke, the publisher and anime studio listened. And ultimately, no one is entitled to their own anime or book series. If you don't agree with that cancellation, that's fine, but it doesn't mean anyone's rights are in danger. I didn't agree with them taking One Piece off Toonami but that doesn't mean my rights (or Eiichiro Oda's) have somehow been violated.
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
^
Series isn't cancelled but suspended. It's going to comeback as soon as the controversy dies down. It seems people forgot the meaning of "suspension." So no real loss which people from both sides missed.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love how everyone is up in arms about the evil Chinese dictatorship conspiracy and ignoring the fact that the JAPANESE seiyuu set to work on the anime decided to pull out from it before it even got canceled

{Edit}: A mod just said for everyone to tone it down a notch. Yet you blatantly ignored that warning and made an insulting rude post to poke at another user and keep the flames going. Do it again and you're on moderation. ~ Psycho 101
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:15 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Gotta love how everyone is up in arms about the evil Chinese dictatorship conspiracy and ignoring the fact that the JAPANESE seiyuu set to work on the anime decided to pull out from it before it even got canceled

Both sides seem to miss the seiyuus and staff dropping out.(Though most of the outrage is from non-japanese.) Unfortunately. Also the director is famous so it's really only a matter of time before he gets another job. Hence the argument.(Watsuki got his job back from something just as bad.)
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:
Both sides seem to miss the seiyuus and staff dropping out.(Though most of the outrage is from non-japanese.) Unfortunately. Also the director is famous so it's really only a matter of time before he gets another job. Hence the argument.(Watsuki got his job back from something just as bad.)

The director is not famous. MMO Junkie is the only anime he's ever directed aside from a smattering of jobs as an episode director.
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:

The director is not famous. MMO Junkie is the only anime he's ever directed aside from a smattering of jobs as an episode director.
"Not Famous." Is the key animator for Akira movie, some Naruto movies, and other movies. I'm pretty sure skill like that won't have to look hard for some agencies to hire him.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:
"Not Famous." Is the key animator for Akira movie, some Naruto movies, and other movies. I'm pretty sure skill like that won't have to look hard for some agencies to hire him.

Slight correction. He was one of ~69 key animators for Akira (by my count), ~60 for Naruto the Movie: Legend of the Stone of Gelel, ~76 for the Naruto Shippūden movie, and ~61 for Naruto the Movie: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow. By that measure, and based on my past impressions, I'm going to throw out a guess that "key animator" isn't exactly a position of note.
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:

Slight correction. He was one of ~69 key animators for Akira (by my count), ~60 for Naruto the Movie: Legend of the Stone of Gelel, ~76 for the Naruto Shippūden movie, and ~61 for Naruto the Movie: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow. By that measure, and based on my past impressions, I'm going to throw out a guess that "key animator" isn't exactly a position of note.
Hm. Thanks for the info. Key Animator in my opinion is still a noteworthy role for the hard work, but thanks for the info.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
^I mean, it's a more notorious work than "in-between animation", but it's pretty far down the ladder in the production hierarchy unless you're Yutapon or someone of the like. MMO Junkie was his directorial debut
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Ok.
Zapdos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
#TheGreatestP4P wrote:
Zapdos wrote:

If they don't care then why they cancel the anime and even suspend the LN? Your argument totally contradict with reality and not making any sense at all.
notice how no fan is getting angry and how this is primarily composed of tweets when he was young and dumb which somebody with no life had to find. No fan is getting mad. The anime got cancelled because the people on it only saw the tweets and nothing else. Primarily it got canceled because of politics and notnthe fans who otherwise would've not cared.

Fans who are not Chinese or Korean would not care but the Chinese market does.[/quote]Chinese market doesn't care when novels that contain real racism in it's content against japanese exist in their country and are striving. Once again, the only side that is mad is the stalkers who went on his/her twitter and started a fire like if they don't also have the same tweets from years ago. (Political nutjobs in short)[/quote]

Chinese market care which is why the anime is cancel and novel suspended in the first place. Anime production is not going to cancel an anime just because the Twitter but because the Twitter reveal author's racism to the world(China included), only then they decided to cancel. It's the PR with China that they worry about, not Twitter.

Last edited by Zapdos on Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Uh, unless I missed something Motonaga Keitaro was set to direct the New Life+ anime. The guy who directed Net-juu no Susume was Yaginuma Kazuyoshi and is completely unrelated to this.

And to be fair, given the staff and seiyuu all announced their termination the same day, chances are they were probably told by the studio the show was going to go under before the public was told. It would also be their agencies decision, not theirs, technically. I wouldn't use them as proof the Japanese were just as upset as China was.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Please read the quoting guidelines.

If you ignore mod warnings don't be surprised if your posts are deleted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6