• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Anime to Watch With Your Dad [2018-06-16]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickPG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
The only recent anime I could imagine my late father enjoying would be 'Silver Spoon', as a farmer he would have found the realistic trials and tribulations hilarious.
re the current poll; Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim isn't a joke name it's part of the real name of the doctor/alchemist Paracelsus, more fully Philip Theophrastus Aureolus Bombastus von Hohenheim.
Rubyleaf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:11 am Reply with quote
This list amuses me because, well... my dad loves Ghibli movies. Especially My Neighbor Totoro, he actually counts that as one of his all-time favorites because, I quote, "Totoro is relatable". Basically, cute monsters and he's on board anyway.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:48 am Reply with quote
also good suggestions for the scifi dad would be Yamato 2199/2202 and the LOGH remake and original OVA series
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Nyghtwynd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
LuckyAstei wrote:
also good suggestions for the scifi dad would be Yamato 2199/2202 and the LOGH remake and original OVA series

I have my dad reading the LOGH novels right now, and once I can buy the anime (new one since the old ISN'T AVAILABLE FOR CANADIANS) I'll get him to watch that. He's already enjoyed Bebop and Steins;Gate.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote
My father would not watch Anime

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I think we can all agree that all these anime could be replaced with 1: keijo.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...what?!

Even with all the warning in the article, Food Wars is the last thing I would want to watch with my dad. I am sure tht applies to many others as well.

I would switch to a much tamer cooking show instead Wink
peno

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Neither would mine, sadly. Which is quite an irony, since I was introduced to the world of anime by my best friend's father, who, more-or-less, forced us to watch with him Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon on German and Austrian TV. Needless to say neither of us really understood what's going on, since we hardly knew basics of German language, but his dad was great in explaining us as much as he could about the story and we were impressed with the animation and that made both of us anime fans. BTW, he's still enthusiastic anime fan even now, in his mid 60s and the three of us still get together from time to time to watch anime Wink
On (un)related note, I was able to get my mom watch a few Detective Conan episodes and while she found the main premise of teenager being turned to kid weird, she still liked the investigations in the anime. So I consider that slight success.

On the last pole, I am not really surprised by the first two places, though I honestly expected them to be reversed as I consider Digimon to be a little more popular anime amongst otaku Laughing
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Kudos to whomever added Marvel Frozen and Shott Weapon from Aura Battler Dunbine to the list! If they didn’t, I had fully planned on doing so!
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

at least you had one. mine got killed from smoking too much before he even knew what the term anime was. though if he was alive i would bet he would watch crayon shin chan since its similar to simpsons with its raunchy take on comedy and the MADHOUSE 2011 version of thundercats since he was an uber fan of mummraa the ever living during the 80's!

also , just what in the hell is Theldesia!?

unless that is a brand new world for the future chapters of the light novels for log horizon, i have ZERO recollection of the anime series let alone the manga mentioning that place!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I started watching anime with my dad(73 this year) when Monster was on The SyFy(ugh) Channel. He hated it. Then I tried Master Keaton and he didn't like it much either. Then I tried Trigun...in Japanese...he loved it! It turned out my dad is a total "Dubs Suck" kinda guy. Since then he has built up his own sizable anime collection. Some of his favorite animes are Trigun, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Excel Saga, Cowboy Bebop, Planetes, Last Exile and Ranma 1/2. We are currently watching Gugure Kokkuri-san which is hilarious.
olgita

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:37 pm Reply with quote
My dad got into anime when he was watching with me one of the episodes of FMA:Brotherhood (it was on TV). When it ends he was like "Wait, it's over? I wanna know what happens next!" - So we watched the rest of it Smile From that time I showed him Attack on Titan, Darker Than Black, Ghost in the Shell and the first Godzilla anime film on Netflix (since he is big fan of the Godzilla) Very Happy I want to show him Akira, Blame!, Death Note and Cowboy Bebop in the future Smile
Marzan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
My dad quite enjoyed the Rurouni Kenshin OVA's and Macross Plus. Short but good is the key with him. Trying Akira with him next.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I know for a fact my father wouldn't even dare to watch any of these. Maybe except for Psyco Pass. I really do wanna push it and say Tiger and Bunny but I know my little brother and I would keep making jokes about how 'in love' the two main characters are. Funny. My brother doesn't like BL, nor GL but he does know for a fact that those two will be together. Doesn't matter on romantic or platonic. Anyway, the only anime I have so far watched with my dad where all of the 4kids dubbed animes. Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, and I do know there is another..... He does like the dragon ball series. My father also raised us with a lot of old school anime like Astro Boy, Kimba the White Lion, and Speed Racer (he LOVES that one the most)

Engineering Nerd wrote:
Hmmm...what?!

Even with all the warning in the article, Food Wars is the last thing I would want to watch with my dad. I am sure tht applies to many others as well.

I would switch to a much tamer cooking show instead Wink

Basically. I would never watch Food Wars with my dad. One of the things he gets about anime and dislikes the most is the ecchi fanservice. I don't really blame him at times. (At times. Can't say fully since I like Free! + Kill la Kill).

But!

I do know my father does like anime with moe. That I can say we both have a guilty pleasure of liking.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
As a dad in his sixties, I'd like to suggest Bartender. Few anime cover the life issues of older adults like this one. Plus you can watch it all for free at YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBC27A43F92EC79F9
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3