Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Anime to Watch With Your Dad [2018-06-16]


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Joshua Zarate
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 12 Jan 2017
Posts: 1632
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Quote:
I'm curious as to why "Chi" and "Chichi" were on the list of weird names. Am I missing something or was someone just trolling?


Chichi is a little weird because on the one hand it means "Father" in Japanese, but on the other hand it means "Breasts" in Japanese. Knowing Toriyama and his naming schemes, he was thinking of the latter.

Don’t you mean Chichi means “Breasts” in Spanish, because that’s also what that word means?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Lactobacillus yogurti



Joined: 17 Aug 2011
Posts: 609
Location: Latin America
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
Quote:
I'm curious as to why "Chi" and "Chichi" were on the list of weird names. Am I missing something or was someone just trolling?


Chichi is a little weird because on the one hand it means "Father" in Japanese, but on the other hand it means "Breasts" in Japanese. Knowing Toriyama and his naming schemes, he was thinking of the latter.

Don’t you mean Chichi means “Breasts” in Spanish, because that’s also what that word means?


Chichi many mean breasts, but it can also mean milk. In the Latin American dub of DBZ, Chichi was renamed Milk because in some countries, chichí can mean urine, as said by young children, and among some of the low-culture people, used in plural may mean breasts too. So they played it safe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 12512
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
I think "Tiger & Bunny" is also appropriate to watch with dads that are fans of the live-action comic book-based movies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jose Cruz



Joined: 20 Nov 2012
Posts: 1683
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Rubyleaf wrote:
This list amuses me because, well... my dad loves Ghibli movies. Especially My Neighbor Totoro, he actually counts that as one of his all-time favorites because, I quote, "Totoro is relatable". Basically, cute monsters and he's on board anyway.


Ghibli movies are like the safest most universally appealing anime titles ever, specially films like Kiki's Delivery Service and Only Yesterday which are relatable slice of life titles but lack the exaggerations that are common in currrent TV slice of life anime.

When I showed my Neighbor Totoro to my dad he was quite impressed by it and he said: "ohh, the Japanese know how to make good movies too".

Besides Ghibli's films I would think of the following 5 titles for my dad to watch:



Remake of classic soccer title with pretty universal appeal although it's shounen-esque over the topness might alienate my dad.



Hyouge Mono is a good title for a more intellectual dad. Although it's focus on Japanese history and tea ceremony might alienate less intellectually curious people it is basically the anime show made for the intellectually sophisticated middle aged man.



Historical anime always has a big appeal to non-fans. So In this Corner of the World certainly is among the most universaly appealing animations I ever watched, indeed it was popular even among the superconservative film critics of Kinema Junpo.



A rare example of a popular mainstream adult anime title. It has a very wide appeal, in fact I would say anime fans will not find it appealing because it's visual style is very boring and doesn't look very vibrant but for middle aged people it is the perfect anime.



Golgo 13 is like the anime that was consciously made for the middle aged man, as it was popular among young people in Japan around the 1970's so today is among the most popular manga titles for readers over the age of 50 and 60, it's animated adaptations obviously carry over it's style and appeal.

I also would advise against showing Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha to people over the age of 50. Although that is kinda of obvious I tried to make my family watch the movies but they couldn't handle it. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 4147
Location: Virginia, United States
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:52 pm Reply with quote
They forgot to include, Fan Service Dad. They too exist.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
peno



Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 273
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:01 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:



A rare example of a popular mainstream adult anime title. It has a very wide appeal, in fact I would say anime fans will not find it appealing because it's visual style is very boring and doesn't look very vibrant but for middle aged people it is the perfect anime.

What exactly is this anime? I don't recognise it, to be honest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fuuma_monou



Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 1576
Location: Quezon City, Philippines
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:19 am Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:



A rare example of a popular mainstream adult anime title. It has a very wide appeal, in fact I would say anime fans will not find it appealing because it's visual style is very boring and doesn't look very vibrant but for middle aged people it is the perfect anime.

What exactly is this anime? I don't recognise it, to be honest.


It's Space Brothers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
peno



Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 273
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:19 am Reply with quote
Thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raiyou



Joined: 01 Sep 2007
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
No one mentioned One Punch Man? That's easily my number one "dad" or "non-anime person" anime gateway. It's funny, stylish, fast moving, and not nearly as stuck in normal anime tropes. Also the older protagonist is usually more relatable. Highly endorsed by my father, 63 for the record. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group