• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon GO Game Offers Friends, Gifting, Trading Features

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In order to trade, friends must have a minimum player level of 10 and be within 100 meters of each other.

Well that ruins the whole thing for people not living in big cities where the game is still popular. I only like 3 people that still play locally.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:09 am Reply with quote
What I could see happening is people posting a "I'm going to Country X next month, who wants my regional?" occurring on larger Pokémon sites.

I plan on doing that when I travel internationally later this year. I might also post a sign on my bag too in case someone has a regional that I don't yet have.

I don't like the stardust cost being so high. Getting regionals is already hard enough, but to make players spend 1 million on it for something that they don't have...? Wow.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
This game should never have been released without trading. It's an integral part of the franchise.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
While I'm glad this system is getting implemented, I'm not going to be able to enjoy it. My friends are all online and live far away from me, and locally I know no one that plays PoGo, so if everything is going to be reliant on being within closer range to each other, then there's no point for me to even try and play with the new features.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
In order to trade, friends must have a minimum player level of 10 and be within 100 meters of each other.

Well that ruins the whole thing for people not living in big cities where the game is still popular. I only like 3 people that still play locally.

I think it ruins the whole thing, period. The main reason people would want trading is to get the regionals and complete the pokedex, but if the person needs to be within 100 meters then that's not possible. I guess I'm glad I spoofed all over the world to get the regionals months ago instead of waiting for this useless feature.
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I don't like the stardust cost being so high. Getting regionals is already hard enough, but to make players spend 1 million on it for something that they don't have...? Wow.

I thought the same thing at first. After rereading the article and carefully checking the picture I realized it's a legendary Pokemon and friend level 1. The price decreases with an increased friend level. I received and email update today with the same picture except they are friend level 4 and the price to trade is 40,000. Still expensive but significantly cheaper.

While not surprised at the hate here (pretty par for the course with Pokemon Go updates) I'm personally really excited about this update! For the people thinking that a feature that would just automatically let you trade anything with any player around the world is the answer ...you aren't getting what this game is about or how it has to be balanced to keep things exciting and difficult to obtain. If that was the case everyone would pretty much immediately be able to obtain a 100% pokedex through messaging hackers and pros online which is ridiculous.

It's making sense now why these features took time to roll out and how some actual thought had to be put into their implementation as to not break the game. As for people whining about regionals still being difficult to catch or the range (again to prevent instant 100% pokedexs worldwide) I suggest you get out there and try to make some friends in public or the online communities Niantic themselves have endorsed like the games original philosophy intended.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
3rdImpakt wrote:
If that was the case everyone would pretty much immediately be able to obtain a 100% pokedex through messaging hackers and pros online which is ridiculous.

While that is, of course, the reason trading has all those restrictions... I'm not sure it's going to work as intended. There doesn't appear to be anything stopping a spoof-bot from spoofing to your location so it can trade something to you. Limits on number of trades per day just encourages creating even more bots. The re-rolled IVs (though I'm not entirely sure it actually is that, and not just reducing the mon's level) and "special trading" will limit people's attempts to use spoofbot armies to catch and sell Pokemon to people (selling perfect-IV mons will be impractical at best), but only to some extent... there will definitely be a market for regional-exclusives home delivery. Niantic could ban people for friending bots/spoofers, but that's pretty risky because you don't necessarily know whether the person you're trading with cheats (many players both spoof and physically go to places).

Trading is a long-overdue feature considering it's been a main attraction in Pokemon games since the very first ones. I have to be a bit cautiously pessimistic about it, though, since Niantic's attempts to crack down on cheating have, more often than not, mainly hurt non-cheaters. There's also the trickier issue of what actually counts as cheating--scanners, when they existed, were officially considered cheating, but practically every active player in my area was using them. Whether this very complicated trading system will actually make the game better, or worse, remains to be seen.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:19 pm Reply with quote
@3rdImpakt I disagree, I think the high stardust price and the time limits are enough to prevent people from "instant 100% pokedex". The game currently has 15 legendary/mystic pokemon, and 15 regionals. That means you'd need 3,000,000 stardust just to get one of each at friendship level 1 (since we're talking about "instantly").

100k stardust means you have to catch 1000 unevolved pokemon just to trade 1 super rare. I've been playing casually -but daily- for a year and a half and I only have 8000 pokemon caught. Even if they'd enable the trade to happen across all players -and therefore finally making it possible for people to get regionals-, only the most hardcore players would be able to "instantly" fill their pokedex -and the most hardcore players have most likely already achieved that anyway.

Finally, "going outside and meet your community" is pretty much worthless in terms of getting regionals unless every community has at least one person that has traveled to New Zealand, and Thailand, and Australia and Africa and Europe and over the Americas etc etc. Which is already quite unlikely in general, now think about not megaurban areas that barely have one pokestop in many miles. Like kotomikun says, the distance restriction only encourages spoofers who could actually make bank out of trading regional pokemon with minimal effort, whilst physical players would be left with no other option to obtain these regionals
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Also some people are really shy or have personal health issues that make it hard for them to just go up to random strangers and make friends. And to be frank, I wouldn't trust anyone who wanted to be friends with me just to get my Pokemon.
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
@Crowley
@Kotomikun

You guys are right. I didn't think my message through in regards to the stardust cost and "instant" pokedexs. I also understand how it could be hard for people to find and meet people who have regionals.....but I still do think they are supposed to be super hard, almost once in a lifetime catches and trades. I think that's a strength of Pokemon Go over the other games and one I appreciate. Some Pokemon really arr near impossible for people to obtain and I think that's cool.

If you're super hardcore, there are always online communities where you might be able to find someone within a bus ride or car ride to meet someone. I know it might seem inconvenient, but again, I think the inability to simply add and trade with people online is what makes this game special and different compared to the other games.
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Also some people are really shy or have personal health issues that make it hard for them to just go up to random strangers and make friends. And to be frank, I wouldn't trust anyone who wanted to be friends with me just to get my Pokemon.

From my experience with the game, everyone I've met while raiding is extremely friendly and the community is great. You can befriend someone you meet just to trade Pokemon, you don't have to "trust" them to some crazy extent. Obviously there are bad eggs in any community but this is again, a strength of the game. In needing to be out in public and actually meeting people it promotes this non-toxic behaviour by not really allowing that level of anonymity.

If anything I think this game has created a lot of beautiful moments for people and allowed some who were normally too shy or suffer from anxiety disorders and the like to meet fellow fans and create special friendships and memories. For the ones you're implying are too extreme to leave the house or talk to people at all, maybe Pokemon Go and Niantics philosophy of the game isn't for them. Thats fine, there are lots of other games out there. I personally feel as though this game is a bridge for those people though, and certainly helps more with these types of innovative gameplay philosophies than hurts.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:13 am Reply with quote
I'm not even talking about extreme cases but for a lot of people with anxiety, it can be hard to just go up to someone you don't know and start talking about your hobbies with another person. There's also a social aspect to online play that's being missed where you're not really able to share in the Pokemon GO experiences with any of your long distance friends. If someone wants to use online to cheat to catch all the Pokemon and miss out on all the social aspects of the game, that's on them to make that choice for themselves. For me I don't even really care about having a complete Pokedex but I was just looking forward to being to able to interact with my long distance friends especially with battling. The only Pokemon GO gyms in my area are churches that I'll never go to so I've never gotten to experience the battling aspect of the game, so there's an equal disadvantage into being fully able to experience the social aspect of the game by not having an online option depending on where you live.
sputn1k

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:33 am Reply with quote
Sadly this further promotes multi-accounting in the game. Requiring star dust for transactions and randomizing the stats of traded Pokemon will put of some multi-accounters from assembling their top line-up on their main account easily, but the friend system buffs and trading discounts fully work in favor of multi-account offenders.

They should have really banned multi-accounters aggressively from the beginning, instead of completely ignoring reports by users about it.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
Most players in my area have multiple accounts, on multiple devices. If I have 2 phones, why shouldn't I be able to play on both of them? Having extra people available for raids is extremely useful, and I'm working hard to get my alt (ironically, my original account, but early log-in problems made me get a new one) into a more decent fighting level.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, friends are live... for level 40 only. I'm more than a bit pissed right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1