• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Kado: The Right Answer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
The ending outright ruins the show. It was so out of left filed it was basically a Deus Ex Machina. Everything was solved because lol-plot.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On that note, the show's conclusion is generally where things go south, with last minute story threads and leaps in logic hampering the experience enough to make the show less recommendable. It never becomes outright bad, but Kado's clumsy denouement is enough to take a potentially great show and make it “decent”, instead.
I think this is true for the conclusion of every min-arc, too. For instance, the Wam storyline's already-tenuous ideas about how world politics worked ended with a dud with spoiler["everyone can make it now, lol jk" and no actual implications of the consequences of it were considered.] As with a lot of SF, it seems like it was a lot better at raising questions than actually engaging them.
Temuthril

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
The first eight or so were some of the best fictional entertainment I'd seen in quite a while. I was completely hooked and watched them all in a row.

The rest was irredeemable garbage in comparison. I'm really curious as to what happened in the production team.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
The new movie version does a pretty good job of salvaging the ending. Still an noble failed experiment overall but Toei deserves credit for trying and hopefully learning from it.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of the few people who liked Kado's ending, because of its strong anti-acculturation message. It was never about negotiations.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I preordered Re:Zero from Crunchyroll months ago, and although they have sent me a shipping confirmation, USPS says they still haven’t received the package! I guess I won’t be receiving what I payed for on release date Sad
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:28 pm Reply with quote
From the article section regarding Re:ZERO:
Quote:
The full series is available on Crunchyroll, and the first episode is available dubbed on Funimation.

Funimation's streaming schedule shows that episodes 2-12 will be available tomorrow (Tuesday, June 19, 2018).
Skydrop

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I really think at the first start this show was planned for 24 episode or more and had to cut to 12 episode in the middle perhaps due to low popularity because first 8 episode was pure exceptional!
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:46 pm Reply with quote
It was great until the ending, the ending is so awful that it pretty much ruins the anime.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:49 am Reply with quote
Regarding Kado
Quote:
On that note, the show's conclusion is generally where things go south, with last minute story threads and leaps in logic hampering the experience enough to make the show less recommendable.

There should be a review of the movie version which changes the ending.

Regarding Seven Mortal Sins, it's useless to watch the streaming simulcasted version since it was censored, I also hope Funimation includes the 19 fanservice short episodes in their BD release.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The first episode of [BanG Dream!] got some decent ratings in the Preview Guide, but it didn't make the cut for our streaming reviews.

I've got to think it would be a different story today, with all the people I see on anitwitter playing the Bang Dream! mobage (myself included). I'll be interested to see if there's more of an audience here when seasons 2 and 3 arrive next year.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:55 am Reply with quote
I was about to say, the BanG Dream IP is really started to pick up lately thanks to the localized mobage. Hell, the Android version is already getting half a million downloads as of now. I wouldn't be surprised later down the line, Sentai will go back and dub the show.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It never becomes outright bad

Yes, yes it does. Those last 3 episodes were pathetic and ruined what was up to that point a great show.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:28 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Quote:

Yes, yes it does. Those last 3 episodes were pathetic and ruined what was up to that point a great show.

I heavily disagree those last few episodes were what made it such a good sci-fi. I don't understand your logic. It all made sense to me and was quite enjoyable to see that awesome twist.

I'm sure many of you will claim to like sci-fi but not this but that doesn't make any sense since these types of things happen all the time in sci-fi and it doesn't make it any less enjoyable because of that.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Quote:

I heavily disagree those last few episodes were what made it such a good sci-fi. I don't understand your logic. It all made sense to me and was quite enjoyable to see that awesome twist.

I'm sure many of you will claim to like sci-fi but not this but that doesn't make any sense since these types of things happen all the time in sci-fi and it doesn't make it any less enjoyable because of that.

Really? That twist made sense to you? spoiler[Sure Yaha's sudden heel-turn is forgivable, as he was already untrustworthy, but Saraka suddenly being an alien protector of earth was just ridiculous. There wasn't even any lead-up to it, like someone just wrote themselves into a corner. On top of that, we're supposed to believe all Yaha's "gifts" were removed without consequences, when he literally changed human beings on a molecular level? I won't even mention the whole godchild asspull in the last episode.]

Last edited by v1cious on Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2