• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell is Happening in Darling in the FRANXX?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
The 'bizarre martyrdom' and 'that sucks' line isn't a cry for FranxX to be more political, but for it to be more coherent, as well as bemoaning that FranXX managed to offend the reviewers' political sensibilities, even if it did so by accident.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda surprised how many comments are about the "heteronormativity"/gender/"political" stuff though considering that only comes up briefly in this article. Most of it is about how FranXX is just a poorly-written show in a broader sense, like unconvincing and bland relationships, tired plot twists, etc. That isn't about politics at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
as well as bemoaning that FranXX managed to offend the reviewers' political sensibilities, even if it did so by accident.

Well, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Why bring up your political sensibilities at all in a critical analysis of a show?
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:
as well as bemoaning that FranXX managed to offend the reviewers' political sensibilities, even if it did so by accident.

Well, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Why bring up your political sensibilities at all in a critical analysis of a show?

Because it is apart of the show, that was a central theme for most of it. As such is entitled to critique. How is that hard to understand?
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Like if someone can't even bring up their political objections as a brief aside, like "oh on top of [X thing about plot/characterization/etc.] I also don't like [Y thing about ideology]" without some of you getting mad, don't you think that's more on you than the writer?

I think some of you might find this article interesting and helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:

I would prefer these articles was less about politics and more about other parts of the show.

But this article hardly talks about straight up politics. Like, at all. At most, they say the show is too confused in its writing to even spouse any specific political ideology. More than half of the discussion is how the alien twist came out of nowhere and served no purpose other than to thrash the show's own worldbuilding and supposed themes.

I agree this one in particular have less, but i was talking about most of the articles about Franxx

Wtv wrote:

You can't ignore politics when analysing a show that sells itself as a story about gender and sexuality. And if the show has a message to tell and that message offends people, they'll hardly enjoy it. Some people feel attacked by a simple review here already, what do you think someone would feel when they just want to watch an action show and that show keeps telling the way they live their life is wrong?
I probably wouldn't care, maybe you neither, but some people are more sensible to things like that and you should understand it. Point is, the show brought politics themselves. Everything is political, but some shows try to make a stronger point about it, while some don't even realize the message they bring.

Anyway, no one is saying you should hate the show, and I don't see any part of the review saying you're a bad person for liking it, because people see things in different ways. And even if you disagree with their point, you can argument, or just think "that's an absurd" and go away. What make no sense is trying to decide the way they approached the subject or that they shouldn't have written about it, like people are doing here. They're no even defending the show, they're just saying "you said heteronormativity, so you're wrong".
I disagree with a lot...like, a lot of texts I read here, but I would never say they shouldn't be written, and the few times I posted something about it, I gave my reason why.

I just would like a less political opinions and more about other aspects. Like in other sites. But like i said before, that don't stop me to read the reviews on ANN and respect the opinions of the ANN reviewers, even if i don't agree with some of them and think they are too political. But that is just my opinion.
Wtv

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the claim that it is a "bizarre martyr narrative for heteronormativity by accident", and that that sucks pretty hard, is a claim that the show should be more pointedly political than it currently is (and, might I add, political in a very specific [i.e., "progressive"] sense). Pretty strange thing to demand imo.

I wonder why ANN keeps analyzing the show like this?

Maybe because the show has this weird plot about how heterosexuality is a forbidden love as if heterossexual people actually suffer for that? And it's not even an allegory to anything.
Maybe because the show has homossexual characters and fails in validate or respect their feelings?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
What's a part of the show is heterosexual love. Why would you demand that the show be something other than what it is just so that it conforms to your political beliefs? Why can't we just let things like this be what they are?

But it's not a show strictly about heterosexual love? It very pointedly contains a closeted-to-open gay character who participates in a charged, emotional scene where she confesses to the object of her affections, and gets gently shut down.

It's not hard to see why people who care a lot about LGBTQ+ issues would focus on a scene and character like that. It's not like Ikuno or her scene with Ichigo are a figment of the reviewers' imaginations...
Sentinel_Wraith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I don’t think anyone is annoyed that a show would depict heterosexual love and reproduction in a positive light, but rather that it’s pretty absurd to frame getting straight monogamous married and having babies as a true act of rebellion. The world they’ve created that oppresses those choices (apparently for absolutely no reason) is not reflective of any society on earth right now. It’s comparable to “what if whites were the slaves / minority discriminated against???” in crap stories that just don’t get it.

I’m pretty sure the creators have just flubbed everything up, though, in an attempt to copy/ pay tribute to other shows (mostly Eva) and were only trying to say that relationships and depending on other people is better than living forever all alone, but the messages got mixed up somewhere along the train wreck.

Communist regimes have historically been involved with the disruption of traditional family units and, depending on the countries, have been attributed to repress sexuality and knowledge of it. Considering that APE has a number of similarities with both right and left wing authoritarian governments, it's really not that much of a stretch that the writers would draw from that idea. North Korea still executes people for watching VHS tapes, and simply selling generic crops in a market got people thrown in gulags or executed in China in the past 50 years.

As for the whole issues with childbearing, it may be an issue that seems nonsensical to outside audience but could resonate for viewers at home. Japan's population is going through an aging crisis and there's simply not enough children being born. Within the next hundred years Japan is expected to "... lose 34 percent of its population, the United Nations found."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/02/26/its-official-japans-population-is-drastically-shrinking/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.dc719f46b866

That's actually a serious issue to the long-term survival of Japan. The show is probably referencing how economic and industrial progress has created a culture where children have become seen as an inconvenient, unnecessary economic burden in Japan. This could be where the whole "parasite" metaphor comes into play.

I'm not going to say that all Japanese feel this way or even most do, but I've heard reports from a number of my Japanese professors of the national business culture being hostile or even penalizing to families with a pregnancy. A quick google search pretty much confirmed this with articles from the Guardian, Al-Jazzera, and The Economist.

So, maybe it feels silly to you, but there's an established political and cultural context for this theme.

Last edited by Sentinel_Wraith on Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:54 pm Reply with quote
It feels like most people complaining about the article somehow got stuck on the word "heteronormative" as though it were the only complaint leveled at Franxx when both Steve and Nick explained in detail what other issues they had with the show beyond its vague and seemingly archaïc messages.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
I didn't say it was strictly about heterosexual love...criticizing it for not handling LGBTQ issues the way you want it to is missing the point, and I want to know why it keeps happening.

For the same reason people would criticize it for mishandling any other important issue? People also criticize the show for mishandling 02's relationship with her torture-daddy, Frank. It's bizarre to suggest we should just brush off the show's missteps as "It not handling these X things the way we wanted"; it either did a good job at handling these issues that it went out of its way to place in the limelight or it didn't do a good job of it. It doesn't get a pass when it does poorly and praise when it does well.
Sentinel_Wraith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
1. Ikuno, like Miku, has largely been an irrelevant side character in the bigger scheme. When she came out she was embraced and accepted for who she was. Ichigo may not have returned her feelings, but she also turned down Goro as well. There's absolutely nothing dictating that she couldn't end up with another surviving pistil outside the squad and that she absolutely HAS to be with Ichigo.

2. I've heard of soldiers forgiving or even befriending former enemies that tortured them or killed their squad buddies. It's unusual, but not unheard of. Hiro on the other hand does NOT forgive him, and in the end Dr. FranXX dies all alone with his obsession. It's unclear how much of 002's memories are intact regarding that, because they made a show of how her memories were largely suppressed after she met Hiro. We don't know how much she remembers or how much experimentation she received after she had her last memory wipe.

3. Futoshi has an entire character arc regarding his obsessive and possessive feelings toward Kokoro turning into understanding and protection of Kokoro and Mitsuru's relationship. If you literally just got Zorome's mean spirited fat jokes out of it, that's on you.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Sentinel_Wraith wrote:
[1. Ikuno, like Miku, has largely been an irrelevant side character... Ichigo may not have returned her feelings, but she also turned down Goro as well...

2. I've heard of soldiers forgiving or even befriending former enemies that tortured them or killed their squad buddies. It's unusual, but not unheard of...

3. Futoshi has an entire character arc regarding his obsessive and possessive feelings toward Kokoro turning into understanding and protection of Kokoro and Mitsuru's relationship. If you literally just got Zorome's mean spirited fat jokes out of it, that's on you.

1: I literally said not 3 posts ago that this has nothing to do with Ichigo refusing Ikuno, and explained in detail why that's the case. No idea why you're still talking about that.

2: I am not saying it's impossible for her to forgive him. I am saying it's shit writing to have her do so in a 2-second scene without exploring how god damned grueling it would be to actually do that. Even a half-assed "She forgot everything that happened to her because experiment-nesia!" plot line would have been more reasonable than what they did. What they did was both not believable and gross.

3: Yes, Futoshi had a minor bit of development re: letting Kokoro go. I don't think that excuses using him as a fat joke 95% of the time, nor introducing his eating disorder and then whimsically forgetting it was a thing, but you're welcome to feel otherwise.
Gan_HOPE326

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the politics of the show: yeah, they're there. I seldom have hidden my annoyance with them, though my angle is usually a bit different - I don't see it as strictly heteronormative, I do see it obsessed with the naturalistic fallacy overall, and the general idea that somehow "natural is good", be it sexuality or medicine, which is something I find stupid. However I do find it annoying when this criticism is expressed the way it is in this article - it doesn't sound like the writers are telling the show "I don't like your ideas!", it sounds like they're saying "you have the WRONG ideas!" and that's just a tad bit too patronizing for me. Sure, you have good reasons to think those ideas are harmful, but so those who think the other way think that yours are. Even what is harmful, what has worth, and so on, is an opinion.

Regarding the story itself: completely agree, it's an unfocused mess. It has no theme, no coherence, no logic. Things just happen at random. Zero Two has lost all personality. Dr. Franxx might be the worst case of "tell, don't show" I've ever seen in a character arc, where we're supposed to partially sympathise with a character when he has not shown on ONE single redeeming situation. He's always been consistently awful, he was introduced in episode 1 as the guy who groped Nana and proudly died as a child torturer and generally horrible guy. But as all trainwrecks, there's a certain morbid curiosity about seeing what happens next, and it's almost over now, so I'll stay for these last episodes and see if they will settle on boring mediocrity or if they will manage to top themselves in ridiculousness and shoot for the stars, becoming basically a much more high production values version of Mars of Destruction.
Sentinel_Wraith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Sentinel_Wraith wrote:
[1. Ikuno, like Miku, has largely been an irrelevant side character... Ichigo may not have returned her feelings, but she also turned down Goro as well...

2. I've heard of soldiers forgiving or even befriending former enemies that tortured them or killed their squad buddies. It's unusual, but not unheard of...

1: I literally said not 3 posts ago that this has nothing to do with Ichigo refusing Ikuno, and explained in detail why that's the case. No idea why you're still talking about that.

2: I am not saying it's impossible for her to forgive him. I am saying it's shit writing to have her do so in a 2-second scene without exploring how god damned grueling it would be to actually do that. Even a half-assed "She forgot everything that happened to her because experiment-nesia!" plot line would have been more reasonable than what they did. What they did was both not believable and gross.

3: Yes, Futoshi had a minor bit of development re: letting Kokoro go. I don't think that excuses using him as a fat joke 95% of the time, nor introducing his eating disorder and then whimsically forgetting it was a thing, but you're welcome to feel otherwise.

1. Funny, because I don't see that.

2. Oh, so you know what it's like for a child to forgive the adult that horrifically abused them? As an actual survivor of child abuse, I'm betting you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. How dare you claim authority over that.

3. Futoshi's relationship with Kokoro has been the primary focus of his arc.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8