• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shonen Jump Editors Apologize for Eiichiro Oda's Comments in One Piece Manga's 89th Volume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caramichael

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:49 pm Reply with quote
More than offensive I think it was interesting that he told children to look it up because wether it is shame or pride, this is part of Japanese history. Because of this comment, tens of thousands of kids will look it up and learn more about WW2 and their country.
That's the amount of influence Oda holds today.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote
If you are still fighting a war more than a decade after it ended that crosses the line from loyalty to just being incredibly stubborn. I can imagine that it was just a light hearted joke but apparently some people in Japan still consider Yokoi to be inspirational. Oda did learn the valuable lesson that jokes in the modern world have to be bland so that they will not offend anyone.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Oda's comment amounted to "here's a funny/crazy historical thing that happened, look it up, kids!"

And people are offended by that? People seem to forget that mangaka are artists, and artists frequently toe the line of what's acceptable to say or do. People really need to get over themselves.

Also, do some people seriously regard Yokoi as a hero? If anything, he represents the perfect example of hyper-nationalist indoctrination and what a cancer it is on the human mind. He (or more accurately, what he represents) should be made fun of more.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
I'd say Japan is even more full of nationalist nutjobs than the US, but, well, the past few years and all. Either way that's the most innocuous excuse for a "controversy" I've ever seen, especially when you've had other manga authors being pedophiles and racist scumbags recently.

This post was deleted- LL.

No. You're wrong. It IS a bad thing. PATRIOTISM is not a bad thing. There's a huge difference.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/nationalism-vs-patriotism/2014/02/23/9129d43a-9afc-11e3-8112-52fdf646027b_story.html?utm_term=.dea037d44de2

Patriotism is fundamental to liberty because pride in one’s nation-state, and a willingness to defend it if necessary, is the basis of national independence. Patriotism is the courage of national self-determination.

By contrast, nationalism is patriotism transformed into a sentiment of superiority and aggression toward other countries. Nationalism is the poisonous idea that one’s country is superior to somebody else’s. Nationalism is intrinsically a cause of war and imperialism.

If you really think nationalism is a good thing then you're probably a racist xenophobe.

As for Oda's comment. It wasn't that bad. But I can see see both sides of this. When I first read the story I felt both sad for the guy for wasting so many years of his life, but also amazed he would do that. Both angles are valid. They didn't need to apologize but it's very understandable to see why they did.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
Part of me is worried this will get One Piece canceled...

But my more rational side isn't because if it does get canceled it won't be a while because the only way that would happen is if One Piece isn't profitable anymore... and I don't think that would happen instantly.

If OP ever gents cancelled due to something like that, people would certainly protest. They'd probably just let it go and forget it, the same way they forgot Toriko's author's past offenses.

Toriko author's past offenses were some of the worst I've read related to a manga. Amazing how they looked past that
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
Part of me is worried this will get One Piece canceled...

But my more rational side isn't because if it does get canceled it won't be a while because the only way that would happen is if One Piece isn't profitable anymore... and I don't think that would happen instantly.

One Piece is the best selling manga in Japan. You can look how it compares to other series.
It's not going to be cancelled by something that silly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_manga
Paulo27

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:31 pm Reply with quote
How about you go fudge yourself, Internet?
Shame on companies for actually caving in for this shit, shame on you.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like a whole lot of nothing.

Sadly mountains made out of molehills are common sights in this day and age.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
It's a bit of a tasteless joke, probably wouldn't have gotten as many complaints if it weren't in a manga aimed at kids, since for many of them this might be the first they've ever heard of Sargent Yokoi.

But it's also not a big deal and I doubt it'll go anywhere past the apology. Comparing it to the whole New Life Plus controversy seems really excessive: the author of that work was being openly racist and wrote a story where the protagonist is seen as heroic because he murdered thousands of foreign people. It's not nearly the same situation. Oda's comments weren't racist or hateful, and it's not like Sargent Yokoi is a part of One Piece's actual story. The most that will happen here is that future printings of Volume 89 might remove that comment.
stannisbaratheon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
That has got to be the most innocuous joke I have ever heard. Come on, its been over 70 years. People in America are already making 9/11 jokes. If there is anything I would find slightly offensive about One Piece, it would be Don Chinjao and the very clear reference to China's grudge against Japan for not have any clear sense of empathy for the war crimes they committed. Yasukuni Shrine in Japan is like a pro-hitler/nazi memorial in Germany. Yet Chinjao is mocked for being a lunatic who holds grudges for no reason all the way down to a person's grandchildren.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
To be fair to one piece luffy isn't based on a real war criminal nor did he make highly offensive comments of the others nationalities or tried to justify or said his country is innocent of well-documented war crimes.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I'd say Japan is even more full of nationalist nutjobs than the US, but, well, the past few years and all. Either way that's the most innocuous excuse for a "controversy" I've ever seen, especially when you've had other manga authors being pedophiles and racist scumbags recently.

This is just a guess on my part. I have no statistics to back this up. It's simply based on my impressions (I'm in Japan 25~33% of my time). I'd say there are probably fewer ultra-nationalists in Japan that the US. Unfortunately there's even fewer people who interested in opposing them. The general reaction to people saying horrible things in Japan is to not rock the boat. The result of this is that these ultra-nationalists are not challenged, and some of their opinions slowly worm their way into the general consciousness.
MsVitchDaSecond

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Hmmmm I have a feeling some A$$$hole out there is trying to find an excuse to get butt hurt and start some nonsensical drama.
HOW DAFAQ is this offensive? this is why I hate overly patriotic fools who doesnt have anything better to do.
First China on cancelling that isekai anime and now some A**hole in japan trying to start s#!t with the number one most successful anime of all time
DecimoX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Geez. Such a small joke. If there's anyone who takes patriotism quite as seriously as the diehard USA lovers, it's diehard Japan lovers. Confused

The criticism is not based on patriotism but on respecting another human being. Don't look at everything from western lens

Nationalism is quite dead in Japan since WW2, and exist only in fringes (though they are increasing through internet)
https://www.google.com.pk/amp/s/philebersole.wordpress.com/2017/02/24/who-are-willing-to-fight-for-their-countries/amp/

Last edited by DecimoX on Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
You know what the dumbest part of this is? It wasn't even Oda who said the joke, it was someone else and all Oda did was relay what happened.

People at least had an valid argument in the New life+ debacle but this is just stupid. These butthurt guys got to chill and stop being so damn sensitive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4