• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:Zero Orignal Video Anime Slated for October 6 Screenings

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsVitchDaSecond

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:37 am Reply with quote
PPPPPPLEEEASEEEEE give us a season 2 announcement at the end of the OVA!!
PLEASE White Fox!!!!
Pixel_Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:58 am Reply with quote
MsVitchDaSecond wrote:
PLEASE White Fox!!!!

This. Given the series' success, I find it baffling that we still haven't got a second season. There should be plenty of material available to adapt by now.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:04 am Reply with quote
Pixel_Crusher wrote:
MsVitchDaSecond wrote:
PLEASE White Fox!!!!

This. Given the series' success, I find it baffling that we still haven't got a second season. There should be plenty of material available to adapt by now.

Arc 4 alone could carry an entire second season, Arcs 5 & 6 is a who knows as Arc 6 is still be written.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:18 am Reply with quote
Pixel_Crusher wrote:
MsVitchDaSecond wrote:
PLEASE White Fox!!!!

Arc 4 literally just finished at the end of last year. While I'm sure he a S2 is production it's gonna take longer than that for it to be ready to be announced.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:22 am Reply with quote
Pixel_Crusher wrote:

Sometimes when the publisher of the original material feels the original anime did a good enough job publicizing it, and don't have much impetus to form a production committee for another season.

As odd as it sounds, we might have more of a chance of a second series if the light novel sales started to drop.

That said, I have to admit I would great an announcement of a second series with mixed emotions, given what would happen in the first episode (and in fact, within minutes of where we left off).
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:25 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Pixel_Crusher wrote:

Sometimes when the publisher of the original material feels the original anime did a good enough job publicizing it, and don't have much impetus to form a production committee for another season.

As odd as it sounds, we might have more of a chance of a second series if the light novel sales started to drop.

That said, I have to admit I would great an announcement of a second series with mixed emotions, given what would happen in the first episode (and in fact, within minutes of where we left off).

I'll love it, as its an amazing fudge you to the type of Otaku that obsess over waifus too much.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:11 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Pixel_Crusher wrote:

Plenty of LNs which sell well get second seasons (see OverLord Konosuba as examples). This is only a factor for some Publishers, it's not a hard fast rule or guideline.

AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
Pixel_Crusher wrote:

I'll love it, as its an amazing fudge you to the type of Otaku that obsess over waifus too much.

Not quite sure what you mean here, but Re:Zero is more than just about waifus. The Anime community in general obsesses too much over romance in any popular show that has decent amount of it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:21 am Reply with quote
Sword Art Online is possibly the most popular light novel series and has had multiple seasons, spin offs, and a movie already, so I'm not sure I understand this argument that a light novel being too popular means it won't get more of an anime.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I am convinced we are getting another season of Re:Zero next year or in 2020.

Let me take this chance to mention that apparently CR/Funi's disc release has significant banding issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/8s595f/psa_rezero_bluray_us_and_uk_has_serious_video/
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:

I doubt that was what the author was thinking. It seems to me they were looking for a way to refocus on the main female character without the "Huh, what?" factor of simply sidelining a popular character, or facing the (figurative) mobs with torches and pitchforks that would have been the result of spoiler[killing said character off]. As a bonus, the author gets to once again torture Subaru by snatching away his fleeting peace and victory, and spoiler[ establishing that a reset point isn't always going to be available to fix everything.]

Iron Maw wrote:

Plenty of LNs which sell well get second seasons (see OverLord Konosuba as examples). This is only a factor for some Publishers, it's not a hard fast rule or guideline.

I made no claim that it was, thus my leading with the word "Sometimes"

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Sword Art Online is possibly the most popular light novel series and has had multiple seasons, spin offs, and a movie already, so I'm not sure I understand this argument that a light novel being too popular means it won't get more of an anime.

See my above reply. I didn't make any claim this is always the case, only sometimes.

As to SAO, it sold 36,159 in Japan for the first series, 20,707 for the second. In contrast, Re:Zero sold 11,997. While you might think 12K is a healthy amount, when you factor in the possible drop off of sales of a second series, Kadokawa might not be in such a rush for a second series as long as light novel sales are thriving.

It is like advertising. Some companies think "Spend more, make more", while others expect diminishing returns, and would rather devote that investment to other endeavors (such as boosting a different light novel series).

As an example of how good home video sales don't guarantee another go, look at Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere which sold 21,858 for the first series and 20,950 for the second. Apparently the publisher felt two series were good enough.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:39 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

Yeah, I still don't get why they didn't end the season with "that" it would be the perfect cliffhanger for a justifiable sequel.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:34 am Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:

Yeah, I still don't get why they didn't end the season with "that" it would be the perfect cliffhanger for a justifiable sequel.

Cliffhangers are acceptable if you are going to make another series. By that, I mean already having it confirmed and announced at the end of the last episode.

The publisher of the light novels might not mind it so much having a cliffhanger, but for the company benefiting from home media sales, it could seriously harm interest. Frankly, the publisher of the light novels doesn't itself need a cliffhanger, as people interested in the series know those are going to continue the story well before the anime has a chance to. Even for the publisher of the source material, a cliffhanger could tick off as many people as it attracts.

Re:ZERO had the benefit of having a nice place to stop the story without having to alter the story from the original source.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Xiximaro wrote:

Cliffhangers are acceptable if you are going to make another series. By that, I mean already having it confirmed and announced at the end of the last episode.

The publisher of the light novels might not mind it so much having a cliffhanger, but for the company benefiting from home media sales, it could seriously harm interest. Frankly, the publisher of the light novels doesn't itself need a cliffhanger, as people interested in the series know those are going to continue the story well before the anime has a chance to. Even for the publisher of the source material, a cliffhanger could tick off as many people as it attracts.

Re:ZERO had the benefit of having a nice place to stop the story without having to alter the story from the original source.

I get that but it bumps me... I don't read much Novels and by what you are saying, they aren't interested in a 2 season that is what I got from the ending in the anime, it's a really pity, I'm really interested in the plot Sad
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:

I get that but it bumps me... I don't read much Novels and by what you are saying, they aren't interested in a 2 season that is what I got from the ending in the anime, it's a really pity, I'm really interested in the plot Sad

I also got the impression that aside from whether we ultimately get a second series or not, at the time they had no plans for one.

Before jumps in and says, "Of course not, a second series hadn't been green-lit", let me clarify. Plenty of series that don't have a sequel green-lit end with a hint of more to come, just in case. Some even strongly imply a continuation, without outright promising one (and most never come to be).
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Xiximaro wrote:

I also got the impression that aside from whether we ultimately get a second series or not, at the time they had no plans for one.

Before jumps in and says, "Of course not, a second series hadn't been green-lit", let me clarify. Plenty of series that don't have a sequel green-lit end with a hint of more to come, just in case. Some even strongly imply a continuation, without outright promising one (and most never come to be).

Ok, no choice but wait then, Index got one(thank God) so everything is possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1