• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Beatless Anime Pauses Next Week, Returns With 'Final' 4 Episodes in September

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
Man, that was anime was such a mess. It started out decently, but it gets more confusing in second cour.

Can't agree with this assessment at all. The second cour has actually been very coherent and tightly-plotted (when not engaging in needless recap episodes, that is), including explaining what the real purpose was for some of the things that happened in the first half of the series which seemed innocuous or formulaic. For instance, the most recent episode revealed that spoiler[Lacia wanted an owner not just for the legal considerations but also because having someone else make the "big ticket" decisions allows her to devote processing power elsewhere. (And anyone who's ever agonized for hours or days over a major life decision can probably empathize on that point.)]

I am curious to see what those final four episodes consist of, though, as the way the story is moving has suggested only a couple of episode are left.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I probably would hate this anime if I watched this weekly, but thankfully, I only decided to marathon it on a whim soon after episode 19 came out. I dodged a huge bullet there, 4 recap episodes is just plain ridiculous. It doesn't help that the anime's pace is kind of slow in the first half.

Up to until the last few episodes, I thought that the show overall was decent at best, and I kept watching mostly because I like stories that explore the relationship between humans and AI. The action and animation was generally mediocre, and the pacing is pretty slow. With the most recent 5 episodes or so, I really started liking it a lot as the various pieces start falling into place, and how even seemingly innocuous actions in the first half ended up being foreshadowing. It's definitely a niche anime, but I would recommend it to anyone who wanted to see an anime that portrayed a possible future with AI.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I do think it is worth noting that these recaps were not simply, "oh crap, we're running out of time for the next episode, let's postpone it." it was announced before the show even started airing that there would be four "intermissions" throughout the run. The fact that there is a break coming up is a bit of a surprise, but only in so far as it wasn't announced clearly much earlier. I think the assumption was there to be had that it would take a break of some sort, being that the new anime season is a week or two away, and there were more than two episodes left. It isn't that hard to guess they would have to do something - either force some other series into a delay, or themselves be delayed. It was the latter, as the former rarely, if ever, happens.

As for the show itself, my thinking on what it would be has always been off. I think its sometimes slow pace or appearance of being confusing is on account of the needless effort to shoehorn concepts and terms they don't really need to. I pointed out in a episode review some time ago that the whole "analog hack" concept is an overly artful, ultimately unnecessary, way of compounding two much simpler human behaviors; anthropomorphism and attraction to beauty/celebrity. They spend so much time trying to explain the analog hack concept as something unique to AI robots, when it simply isn't. If they stuck to a much more simplified allegory, as you are supposed to when genuinely relaying complex concepts, they could have couched the entire discussion in terms of the cult of celebrity, the cult of beauty, and the tendency of humans to give almost everything human characteristics.

So, not only is a lot of time wasted trying to plant and then explain a conceptual term that didn't need to be introduced in the first place, the deviation back to explaining it and reconfirming the explanation in latter episodes just slows things down and causes you to mentally check out for a bit when they start harping back on it. At times this makes the show come off as pretentious, like it's trying to be smarter than it actually is. It's similar - but to a lesser degree - to shows where the protag is supposed to be some kind of genius because they can figure out things the rest of the cast can't, but you realize that's because the rest of the cast is as dumb as a bag of rocks and apparently has a 2nd grade education.

It also doesn't help that the story essentially boils down to one boy whose hormones are running wild for a robot, vs his sort-of-best-friend who is a brooding knucklehead with a messiah complex. They floated early on the idea that the sister was somehow integral to the plot, but at this point she seems like a vapid airhead comic relief character, showing up just long enough to spout something or other about how stupid her brother is. Watching the humans in this show, you start thinking it might not be a bad idea for AI robots to just take over, because these humans aren't exactly showing a lot of reason to have faith in humanity.

It's an entertaining enough ride, you want to see where it goes (not necessarily in the "watching a train wreck" sort of way either), but I don't know that it's the sort of show that can really hold firm a sizable fan base or get folks clamoring to come back for more.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:12 am Reply with quote
At this point, I can't tell whether the recaps are interrupting the main episodes or the main episodes interrupting the recaps Very Happy . Betcha there will be another recap before the last episodes air in September.

Back to the show, I don't know because of the fansub I follow but the plot is so convoluted to me, nonstop talking and they barely explain anything. Even Guilty Crown was easier to follow. The only things I kinda like about it are Lacia and the first OP.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:07 am Reply with quote
For fans of this show, I can relate to the criticism of delaying some of the epi. As a DitF fan, it is frustrating the streams had 2 behind-the-scenes epi. I think that should have been done after the 24th epi. However, counting the 2 BTS epi., DitF viewers are getting 26 epi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2