• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Goodnight Punpun Creator Inio Asano

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Great interview, both for Rebecca's questions and Asano's replies.

Ironically, I'm one of those persons that now feels way more connected to his more "banal" stuff than the recent stuff (when you project so much id into the works, it comes to a point where the differences in how you process stuff and see the world and how the author/characters do becomes too different to be as relatable as when I was younger, though I certainly still appreciate it; but now the more lackadaisical light-hearted way they are portrayed in the first works speak more to me), but I always appreciate the effort of this author and his insights in people and generations and how it updates his thoughts and talks about different parts in each new interview.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't think it shouldn't be banned, but I think their needs to be definite zoning

Aside from the their/there typo, is the double negative what he said, as in he thinks it's ok if it's banned but if it's not banned it should be zoned, or is that a typo as well?

Very interesting interview. It's always nice to read one where the answers don't feel like they were run through an approval committee first. Smile Naoki Urasawa's Manben series featured him in one episode, and he definitely impressed me. It was really fascinating to watch him work, as well as seeing what Urasawa was impressed by.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for this very insightful interview! Good questions, good answers.

I'm a fan of Inio Asano's works, especially Good Night, Punpun, and he is definitely one of the most interesting manga creators out there, although some of his works feel a bit "rough", but that's part of the charm. His development from his early works to Punpun and DeDeDe is also very interesting and I believe he is someone who always wants to explore new themes and angles (although all of his works are unmistakable "Inio Asano"), so I expect too see him tackle different themes and styles with each new work.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
These are way more thoughtful and spot-on answers than one usually sees out of what are thought of as "pop culture" authors; big respect for Asano.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Asano is so humble that it feels kinda forced humbleness, reminds me of interviews with Miyazaki as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1