• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Recode: AT&T Aims to Buy Out Crunchyroll's Otter Media This Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Woah, this rollercoaster ride just keeps accelerating everytime I think we are going to reach the exit Anime hyper

So, are we going to get Batman Ninja on crunchyroll since AT&T got warner and now they are they are going to get crunchy? Will Hidive be bought by AoA? Will some executive at AT&T have some "bright idea" that will take my back to my swashbuckling days?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Well on one hand Crunchyroll getting bought by a giant corporation means more money to license anime. On the other hand AT&T has a very bad track record on free speech and they are a lot more likely to censor anime. The last thing anime needs is Crunchyroll turning against ecchi anime but that is now quite possible.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
he last thing anime needs is Crunchyroll turning against ecchi anime but that is now quite possible.

For true ecchi shows I doubt they'd bother even licensing it if they did indeed want to stay away from such content. More than likely you may see selective editing of only certain objectionable content like what happened with the Tsugumomo release where certain scenes of kiriha when she shrank were switched to the broadcast version.

Time will tell.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Remember that time when AT&T was purchasing Time Warner? Ah, good times.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Well... it was good while it lasted, I guess, but ultimately all successful companies end up getting eaten by megaconglomocorps. Often just to shut them down so they won't get in the way of some venture by said megacorp, but in a best-case scenario, maybe just a double paywall?

Also... CR is owned by Ellation which is owned by Otter which is owned by Chernin and AT&T, and now just the latter? Seriously? How many layers of turtles... I mean holding companies... are there, exactly?

U-Verse and DIRECTV might have Crunchyroll and other VRV channels included with certain bundles, but otherwise would be business as usual.

At least AT&T could trim the fat of these holding companies with stupid names formed when each investor came on board, from TV Tokyo and The Chernin Group, to this inevitable buyout under WarnerMedia (née Time Warner).

mangamuscle wrote:
So, are we going to get Batman Ninja on crunchyroll since AT&T got warner and now they are they are going to get crunchy? Will Hidive be bought by AoA? Will some executive at AT&T have some "bright idea" that will take my back to my swashbuckling days?

Sentai Filmworks would more likely get bought by Comcast/NBCUniversal or Verizon/AOL, with the former advantageous for access to NBCUniversal Japan (née Geneon) titles. Maybe even Disney/ABC, but Viz Media is more likely in their crosshairs, considering their past deals for Naruto and Pokémon.

Chrono1000 wrote:
Well on one hand Crunchyroll getting bought by a giant corporation means more money to license anime. On the other hand AT&T has a very bad track record on free speech and they are a lot more likely to censor anime. The last thing anime needs is Crunchyroll turning against ecchi anime but that is now quite possible.

Considering AT&T is now the proud owner of HBO and Cinemax, I'd sure as hell hope not. LOL, CR already censored DanMachi Memoria Freese, and that's a smartphone game!

Speaking of HBO, funny I remember watching a gigguk video before he returned to YouTube and became an annoying shill, where he talked about anime becoming mainsteam and if you would see anime like AoT on HBO.

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:54 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
DeTroyes wrote:
Don't be surprised if HiDive is snatched up before year's end.
Are you on about the platform or Sentai Filmworks?

I wonder if at some point these dedicated Anime streaming sites will all become part of a regular streaming service.

Probably both. Snatching up services like Sentai/HiDive and Crunchyroll are a good way to quickly acquire exclusive content if you're a new streaming service, or expand yours if you're an established one. And right now, the scramble is on as to who can provide the best and widest selection the fastest, which means these smaller niche services are now quite valuable as potential take-over targets.

In a few years I expect pretty much all of these anime services to be tentacles of larger content providers. Its just a matter of time.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Meh... in the end everything will inevitably end up owned by DISNEY.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
he last thing anime needs is Crunchyroll turning against ecchi anime but that is now quite possible.

For true ecchi shows I doubt they'd bother even licensing it if they did indeed want to stay away from such content. More than likely you may see selective editing of only certain objectionable content like what happened with the Tsugumomo release where certain scenes of kiriha when she shrank were switched to the broadcast version.

Time will tell.

This is already kinda their MO as far as I can tell... If you want uncensored anime (that has heavy broadcast censorship) you kinda have to mosey on over and get you a funimation subscription and watch the dub.

At least... I haven't ever seen uncensored anime on Crunchyroll US. Could be wrong.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:

Time will tell.

WHOA WHOA WHOA Tsugumomo's Blu-Ray release over here was censored? What the hell FUNimation!? I can understand the initial broadcast version being censored but I'm not buying anime Blu-Rays that are freaking censored.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:
VanGosroth wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:

Time will tell.

This is already kinda their MO as far as I can tell... If you want uncensored anime (that has heavy broadcast censorship) you kinda have to mosey on over and get you a funimation subscription and watch the dub.

At least... I haven't ever seen uncensored anime on Crunchyroll US. Could be wrong.

Go watch Haganai or the first three seasons of Highschool DxD, they're full uncensored on Crunchyroll and even contain stuff like naked lolis.
LuScr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote
MsVitchDaSecond wrote:
I see them prepping the sneaky double pay wall huh now that net neutrality is gone Shocked

Net neutrality applied to ISPs, not video services. There was nothing stopping CR from putting up a double pay wall even while it was still in effect.

(If NN ending does have an effect--and I'm not sure CR is large enough to make it worthwhile--it will be Comcast et al blackmailing CR by throttling its traffic until it pays them more money, which would in turn lead to higher subscription prices for its users).
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:

For true ecchi shows I doubt they'd bother even licensing it if they did indeed want to stay away from such content. More than likely you may see selective editing of only certain objectionable content like what happened with the Tsugumomo release where certain scenes of kiriha when she shrank were switched to the broadcast version..

For some shows, yeah you can get away with some judicial editing. But what about series where the entire concept might be considered objectionable to some people? Like, say, Eromanga Sensei or the upcoming Back Street Girls? Never mind that fan service is the cornerstone for a number of franchises.

Once these services become beholden to Big Corporations, I have no faith that they'll be able to keep their independence and not be forced to police their content. Or just avoid some of it altogether. All it would take is one Angry Internet Mob, and any one of these services could find themselves forced to buckle down under corporate pressure. I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet, considering some of the anime content out there.

Catsplay wrote:
Go watch Haganai or the first three seasons of Highschool DxD, they're full uncensored on Crunchyroll and even contain stuff like naked lolis.

Or how about just the opening credits for Mobile Suit Gundam Seed or Full Metal Panic....
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
For true ecchi shows I doubt they'd bother even licensing it if they did indeed want to stay away from such content.
That makes sense and the possibility of Crunchyroll licensing ecchi shows for men will be a lot less likely if this deal goes though. It won't happen overnight but the outrage narrative used by feminists tends to work on politically correct corporations which are always willing to punch down at men.

VanGosroth wrote:
More than likely you may see selective editing of only certain objectionable content like what happened with the Tsugumomo release where certain scenes of kiriha when she shrank were switched to the broadcast version.
I was going to joke about retroactive censorship of the existing Crunchyroll catalog but after thinking it over even that sounds possible.

DeTroyes wrote:
Once these services become beholden to Big Corporations, I have no faith that they'll be able to keep their independence and not be forced to edit their content. Or just avoid some of it altogether. All it would take is one Angry Internet Mob, and any one of these services could find themselves forced to buckle down under corporate pressure. I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet, considering some of the anime content out there.
That is the purpose behind websites such as AnimeFeminist and this is the type of deal they have been hoping to see happen to the anime industry. The opportunity to push censorship over the western anime industry by making the argument that ecchi shows for men shouldn't be licensed because they don't like them. A smaller company has to listen to their customers to stay in business but ironically giant corporations can afford to make horrible business decisions.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:25 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:

Time will tell.

Whoa, why has no one (at least that I've seen) talked about this? It was reported almost immediately that the loli eroge scene in Haganai Next was censored on home video when Funimation tried to pull that one. (Funny enough, it's not censored on Crunchyroll now.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Animegunclub wrote:

Also, My Wife is the Student Council President, which has both censored and uncensored versions posted. I don't watch a ton of ecchi, but I did watch both seasons of that one on CR.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4