• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Recode: AT&T Aims to Buy Out Crunchyroll's Otter Media This Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
That is the purpose behind websites such as AnimeFeminist and this is the type of deal they have been hoping to see happen to the anime industry. The opportunity to push censorship over the western anime industry by making the argument that ecchi shows for men shouldn't be licensed because they don't like them. A smaller company has to listen to their customers to stay in business but ironically giant corporations can afford to make horrible business decisions.

I've seen at least two (minor) anime fansites state that they find the concept of Back Street Girls to be offensive and plan to not only boycott the series but urge others to do the same. Others have said similar things about Keijo, High School DxD, Armed Girls Machiavellism, etc. And we haven't even gotten into the violent content that others will surely object to. This will surely become a minefield, and probably quicker than we think.

But then, I guess it just means some other anime streaming service will start up to fill the niche created, and the whole process will start again.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
far too low of bitrate, poor translations/transliterations/localization choices, very inconsistent, and literally dozens of grammar mistakes per season, mistakes that PAID people shouldn't be making).

They may be paid, but they're also quite rushed because they frequently don't get the scripts in advance.

LegitPancake wrote:
still using Flash instead of HTML5

It sounds like this has a lot to do with license holders.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if this is a good thing...
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:33 pm Reply with quote
beholder242 wrote:
MsVitchDaSecond wrote:
I see them prepping the sneaky double pay wall huh now that net neutrality is gone Shocked

Setting aside the discussion about net neutrality, I'm certain the double pay wall will work out just as well as it did for Amazon.
And that’s exactly why they won’t do anything of the sort. It’s bad for business.

Hell they used to make you pay seperate subscriptions for anime, drama and manga before they realised the latter two libraries weren’t nearly vast enough to justify that financially.
dharlow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quote
If they handle CR the same as they have handled the purchase of DirectTV, it will be a disaster. DTV used to have the very best customer service, then AT&T bought then and it went to crapola. And, a years subscription will probably double in price.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:29 pm Reply with quote
dharlow wrote:
If they handle CR the same as they have handled the purchase of DirectTV, it will be a disaster. DTV used to have the very best customer service, then AT&T bought then and it went to crapola. And, a years subscription will probably double in price.

Totally agree. We had DirecTV before AT&T consumed it. Immediately after we noticed the customer service became lip service, the rates skyrocketed beyond the upper stratosphere whether you negotiated with them or didn't about a reduction. We noticed, as with most other media conglomerates, adding services to your monthly bill is uber-easy (a child could do it) if you have a large wallet but, lol, just try to find the fine print about cancellation. It doesn't exist. You have to call them, assimilate into a vegetative state while "on hold", then contest every request to the brink.

Used to be an AT&T phone customer back in the day. Their service, though reliable, was never a bargain. These overpaid clowns charged $1/min for calls to Canada back when competitors were incorporating the provinces in with the lower 48 as standard service. And do make sure when cancelling that you discontinue your automatic debit withdrawals with either AT&T or DirecTV as both corporations will continue to pay themselves monthly regardless of a timely cancellation notification. This is something you must do in person with your bank, emails & phone orders to these institutions will not be observed, honored.

Personally, I will never go back to AT&T or their spawn DirecTV for anything. These monopolistic jokers have gotten too big to understand, follow through providing customer satisfaction. All they understand is crushing competition so rates can remain ludicrous.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
That is the purpose behind websites such as AnimeFeminist and this is the type of deal they have been hoping to see happen to the anime industry. The opportunity to push censorship over the western anime industry by making the argument that ecchi shows for men shouldn't be licensed because they don't like them. A smaller company has to listen to their customers to stay in business but ironically giant corporations can afford to make horrible business decisions.

now I'm kinda shitty at keeping up with the anime scene online cause I've got more offline problems then I'd like to mention but what's the story behind that group? do they have legitimate reasons for their opinions or is it endless butt hurt and self imposed entitlement to demand that their opinions and their's alone are heard
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
AT&T is in the middle of starting up their own streaming service, to compete directly with Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu. Otter Media also has stakes in several other ventures, including live sports, so I suspect that is AT&T's primary interest in acquiring Otter. Therefore, Crunchyroll being swept up sounds like it could just be an afterthought. It could also mean AT&T might bundle it off to someone else, if they decide they don't want to deal with anime. Or it could mean that Crunchyroll might someday be available with your Uverse subscription.

Agreed. I'm sure the presence of Crunchyroll had little to do with the decision to buy Otter.
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really that worried. If they kill Crunchy, then the license fees will go to another entrepreneurial company that's interested in picking-up the content.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Sachiko2010 wrote:
I'm not really that worried. If they kill Crunchy, then the license fees will go to another entrepreneurial company that's interested in picking-up the content.

What would be worse if they merged Crunchy into their currently "very, very skinny" streaming service that needs content.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
I've seen at least two (minor) anime fansites state that they find the concept of Back Street Girls to be offensive and plan to not only boycott the series but urge others to do the same. Others have said similar things about Keijo, High School DxD, Armed Girls Machiavellism, etc. And we haven't even gotten into the violent content that others will surely object to. This will surely become a minefield, and probably quicker than we think.
I would very much prefer if my predictions about censorship in anime were an exaggeration but in the last 10 years the perpetually offended have grown in numbers. A lot of people have been taught that if they can rationalize their dislike of something because it might cause men to think bad thoughts than it shouldn't exist. Sadly there are a lot of people in the western world that have the same opinion on free speech as the Chinese government.

MagusGuardian wrote:
now I'm kinda shitty at keeping up with the anime scene online cause I've got more offline problems then I'd like to mention but what's the story behind that group? do they have legitimate reasons for their opinions or is it endless butt hurt and self imposed entitlement to demand that their opinions and their's alone are heard
Well the website has talked about how dark magical girl shows such as Puella Magi Madoka Magica aren't suitable for children so the website has some questionable ideas about what anime should be. They haven't yet called for any censorship outside of a few vague Twitter posts but they did try to shame Funimation for using an anime woman in a bikini to promote a summer sale. In other words I wouldn't be surprised if their official position on censorship changes in the future.

Last edited by Chrono1000 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:
Well the website has talked about how dark magical girl shows such as
Puella Magi Madoka Magica aren't suitable for children so the website has some questionable ideas about what anime should be. They haven't yet called for any censorship outside of a few vague Twitter posts but they did try to shame Funimation for using an anime woman in a bikini to promote a summer sale. In other words I wouldn't be surprised if their official position on censorship changes in the future.
so essentially Endless aimless butthurt. I can understand getting offended over something I mean hell years ago when I was a lot younger and dumber I would get easily offended at anyone poking fun at me for my Chinese heritage but over time I got over it and ignored it, but honestly all these anti this and anti that groups all seem to be childish, spoiled, self center/serving/obsessed, pains in the ass that seem to only care about getting their opinion and their voice heard. I thought it was bad when anime fans would be fighting among themselves over differing opinions and caused the public to look at us with disdain or disgust but with a group like that and more people catering to the easily offended I'm worried about not just the anime fandom but how we as anime fans are perceived and responded to in the eyes of the public. One side note though would they have made the same complaints if it was both an anime male and female in the advert or would it just end the same, aimless butthurt
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
For some shows, yeah you can get away with some judicial editing. But what about series where the entire concept might be considered objectionable to some people? Like, say, Eromanga Sensei or the upcoming Back Street Girls? Never mind that fan service is the cornerstone for a number of franchises.

Once these services become beholden to Big Corporations, I have no faith that they'll be able to keep their independence and not be forced to police their content. Or just avoid some of it altogether. All it would take is one Angry Internet Mob, and any one of these services could find themselves forced to buckle down under corporate pressure. I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet, considering some of the anime content out there.

And then anime just goes back to the fansubbers rather than simulcasters. No big deal. As someone who grew up in the era of Saban and 4Kids, there are always alternatives

MagusGuardian wrote:

The only thing I've heard about them is them trying to get Hunter x Hunter censored on Crunchyroll because it uses the word 'tranny'. They put out a call for translators to help them get it changed, and when translators chimed in that it was a fine translation, they basically did a "ok, we're only going to be accepting opinions from translators who agree with our point of view to send to CrunchyRoll". But given they're a spin off of The Mary Sue, I imagine they have a lot more nonsense that I haven't paid attention to.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:36 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
DeTroyes wrote:
For some shows, yeah you can get away with some judicial editing. But what about series where the entire concept might be considered objectionable to some people? Like, say, Eromanga Sensei or the upcoming Back Street Girls? Never mind that fan service is the cornerstone for a number of franchises.

Once these services become beholden to Big Corporations, I have no faith that they'll be able to keep their independence and not be forced to police their content. Or just avoid some of it altogether. All it would take is one Angry Internet Mob, and any one of these services could find themselves forced to buckle down under corporate pressure. I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet, considering some of the anime content out there.

And then anime just goes back to the fansubbers rather than simulcasters. No big deal. As someone who grew up in the era of Saban and 4Kids, there are always alternatives

MagusGuardian wrote:

The only thing I've heard about them is them trying to get Hunter x Hunter censored on Crunchyroll because it uses the word 'tranny'. They put out a call for translators to help them get it changed, and when translators chimed in that it was a fine translation, they basically did a "ok, we're only going to be accepting opinions from translators who agree with our point of view to send to CrunchyRoll". But given they're a spin off of The Mary Sue, I imagine they have a lot more nonsense that I haven't paid attention to.
so as I said to chrono1000 aimless butthurt and self centered entitlement. christ idk what'll be more annoying them or that one guy who always posts in the aniplex crapping threads calling everyone "casual" anime fans for buying translated releases while calling em self a "true" anime fan for watching it in the raw only
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:43 am Reply with quote
If anything goes bad, remember anime fans and game fans are the most hyperreactive groups out there. I believe our outcry has potential.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4