• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Recode: AT&T Aims to Buy Out Crunchyroll's Otter Media This Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peno

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:00 am Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:

Sentai Filmworks would more likely get bought by Comcast/NBCUniversal or Verizon/AOL, with the former advantageous for access to NBCUniversal Japan (née Geneon) titles. Maybe even Disney/ABC, but Viz Media is more likely in their crosshairs, considering their past deals for Naruto and Pokémon.

Pokémon anime has nothing to do with Viz other than Viz distributing home video releases. The anime series and movies are still fully licensed and controlled by The Pokémon Company International, so even if Disney acquired Viz, they would not get anything more than home video rights and even than not for everything, as movies 1-3 are still distributed by Warner Home Video and I am not sure who now owns ditribution rights to movies 4-7, but I don't think it's Viz. Also, I am not sure if the Pokémon manga Viz distribute are licensed to them or if those are also still owned by TPCI.

Speaking of HBO, funny I remember watching a gigguk video before he returned to YouTube and became an annoying shill, where he talked about anime becoming mainsteam and if you would see anime like AoT on HBO.

Funny, here in my country HBO did air some anime movies like the first three Pokémon movies, Yu-Gi-Oh first movie (though these were pretty much "owned" by Warner anyway), Digimon the Movie, Metropolis and Paprika are only those I could remember now out of my head, but I am sure there were others. On the other hand HBO, if I remember correctly, never aired any anime series. But who knows, maybe now things will change.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:21 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

It sounds like this has a lot to do with license holders.

Given that other anime sites (e.g., Funimation, HIDIVE) use HTML5, as do other sites that have anime as part of their content (e.g., Netflix, Hulu, Amazon), I think we can safely rule that out.

Keep in mind that this CR a site that hasn't addressed the simple extraneous "$" in image strings for many months now.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:28 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:

It sounds like this has a lot to do with license holders.

Given that other anime sites (e.g., Funimation, HIDIVE) use HTML5, as do other sites that have anime as part of their content (e.g., Netflix, Hulu, Amazon), I think we can safely rule that out.

Keep in mind that this CR a site that hasn't addressed the simple extraneous "$" in image strings for many months now.

Isn't Funimation's hardsubbed? I know Amazon's is softsubbed and the subtitling is downright terrible. The options they offer (oqaque background or gigantic fonts) don't make it any better. Subtitles are a weak point with html5 video, as for the offerings I've seen and the handling of signs on screen with different positions and colors appears to be impossible. So far I haven't seen any implementation of html5 video come close to CR's flash implementation. Maybe they can some something with some fancy realtime javascript processing for subtitle overlay instead of default html5 captions.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:16 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
People don't truly have a choice if they want to watch the newest stuff..

Wrong. People don't truly have a choice if they want to pay to watch the newest stuff. If they put up a double paywall, what do you think is going to happen, considering just watching the newest stuff is so easy.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Considering AT&T is now the proud owner of HBO and Cinemax, I'd sure as hell hope not. LOL, CR already censored DanMachi Memoria Freese, and that's a smartphone game!
It is true that Crunchyroll was testing the waters of censorship with DanMachi Memoria Freese but it is easy to imagine the same executives at Time Warner being more than happy to betray male anime fans to prove that they are against the heteronormative patriarchy. Granted it does depend on which executive gets placed over Crunchyroll but on average the huge corporations tend to be spineless when it comes to protecting free speech. The larger a corporation becomes the more disconnected they are between profits and rewards which can lead to horrible business decisions.
jree78

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
1. Is Crunchyroll and Funimation still going to license stuff together since Crunchyroll will be owned by At&T and have Warner Brothers would WB distribute Crunchyroll's anime.
2. More Crunchyroll anime on adult swim?
3. Warner Brothers movies/TV streamed on VRV/Crunchyroll?
4. Crunchyroll/VRV content and direct tv streaming?
5. Higher bills?
6. More or less co productions?

So many questions.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Pokémon anime has nothing to do with Viz other than Viz distributing home video releases. The anime series and movies are still fully licensed and controlled by The Pokémon Company International, so even if Disney acquired Viz, they would not get anything more than home video rights and even than not for everything, as movies 1-3 are still distributed by Warner Home Video and I am not sure who now owns ditribution rights to movies 4-7, but I don't think it's Viz. Also, I am not sure if the Pokémon manga Viz distribute are licensed to them or if those are also still owned by TPCI.

Miramax, which used to be owned by Disney, distributed many of the films. It's now owned by a Qatari media company who's more focused on sports and live-action entertainment, so I can see the movies "rescued" in the future under TPCI with a distributor like Viz or Disney.

Quote:
Funny, here in my country HBO did air some anime movies like the first three Pokémon movies, Yu-Gi-Oh first movie (though these were pretty much "owned" by Warner anyway), Digimon the Movie, Metropolis and Paprika are only those I could remember now out of my head, but I am sure there were others. On the other hand HBO, if I remember correctly, never aired any anime series. But who knows, maybe now things will change.

'Twas my point. Obviously, kids movies and stuff like Miyazaki films are a different category than your conventional anime.[/quote]
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:18 am Reply with quote
If AT&T buys out TCG's investment, I would expect that while CR would probably survive as a standalone service, VRV would very likely be folded into their newly announced WatchTV service:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/21/17487922/att-watchtv-streaming-service-announced-pricing-features-channels
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
beholder242 wrote:
MsVitchDaSecond wrote:
I see them prepping the sneaky double pay wall huh now that net neutrality is gone Shocked

Setting aside the discussion about net neutrality, I'm certain the double pay wall will work out just as well as it did for Amazon.

It won't be the same. It will work out fine. Why? Because CR will still have the vast majority of new anime and other sites won't. People don't truly have a choice if they want to watch the newest stuff.

And yes, Net Neutrality died a week or two ago. Though, there's still ways to restore it...but it's gonna be rough.

---

I have no faith in AT&T or other Telecommunication companies doing what's best for Crunchyroll. I don't think CR will fail, as i mentioned already people will still use it because it's really the only real choice for MOST anime so people won't abandon it no matter what happens. But I expect bad decisions to be made and prices to go up and quality to remain as low it is (far too low of bitrate, poor translations/transliterations/localization choices, very inconsistent, and literally dozens of grammar mistakes per season, mistakes that PAID people shouldn't be making).

I´m hoping Crunchyroll improves massively after this buyout, cause:
1- They haven´t produced any more international dubs for anime series for some reason, and they can´t expect me to pay money to watch a series in english in funimation because in my country Funimation doesn´t work.
2-Their suck-ass player
3-They need to become a much functionally better streaming service if they expect to get to the likes of Netflix and Amazon, and HiDive is not too far from crushing them in that department
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
Since Sony owns Funimation, what will become of the Funimation-Crunchyroll merger if AT&T buys Crunchyroll?

And now that AT&T owns WarnerMedia, I'm wondering if they have plans to promte Batman Ninja?
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:09 am Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Since Sony owns Funimation, what will become of the Funimation-Crunchyroll merger if AT&T buys Crunchyroll?

Probably the same thing that happened after Sony purchased Funimation: Not much.

Even if either party wanted to end the deal, probably the worst that could happen overnight would be that would go back to competing for simulcasts, which isn't that good for either company.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_film_studio
The Walt Disney Studios, WarnerMedia (formerly Time Warner), NBCUniversal, Fox Entertainment Group, Sony Pictures Motion Picture Group, are the 6 major Amer. studio parent companies of the 6 major Amer. film companies.

Through its various subsidiaries, the Disney Empire is the major Amer. movie company with a good track record of licensing anime titles onto home video*. However, if I was Disney boss Bob Igor, between choosing to buy most of the Fox Empire and Otter Media, I would choose the latter. This is partially because I would realize "if we buy-out or merge with most of Fox, we would have too much of a market share". Of course, that is wishful thinking.

*While Funi is now mostly owned by Sony Pictures. I exclude them why? Because Sony Pictures only recently purchased them. Disney has had 20 years of releasing anime on home video and with a better-established reputation.
peno

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
But Sony has a pretty decent list of anime they licensed. I think the first one was Metropolis in 2002, followed by Astro Boy (2003 version). Other titles include Tokyo Godfathers, Steamboy, Paprika, or the Marvel anime series and those are only the titles I remember from my head, there surely were other. If there is Major studio I identify with anime, it's definitely Sony, not Disney. Though the reason for that may be that most of the anime titles licensed by Disney in US goes to other companies here in Europe, whereas Sony always kept their anime titles even in Europe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4