• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Potential White Supremacist Rally Aligns with Otakon Weekend in DC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yazu13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
The last time this group gathered in a largely organized fashion, someone died, more were injured, and there were several targeted assaults on Black people and at least one trans woman. Relaying this information to fandom is a matter of public safety.

Exactly. A gathering of violent people will always lead to violence. If you're near these people when they march, you're taking a huge risk because nobody knows what will happen. These aren't peaceful protesters, they're literal Nazis chanting for genocide. People are focusing on the woman who was killed in Charlottesville, but if you look at other footage of those Nazi gatherings you'll see that there was a lot of other violence too, they just didn't lead to deaths. Going to an innocent anime convention could end up turning into a bloodbath because it will be adjacent to a gathering of psychopaths.

Last edited by Yazu13 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yazu13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Kokonoetanmick wrote:
CatSword wrote:
You're not just "proud of your heritage." Going to a white supremacy event means you think that your race is superior, rather you have friends of all ethnicities or not.

Sorry, but no matter what brainwashed people say, this is not a white supremacy event. I'm part of this movement and I know what I'm talking about.

Btw, I couldn't care less what names you call us. Laughing
I know what I am and I know what I'm not.

The first Unite the Right rally was literally Confederate flags, Swastikas, and people chanting "Jews will not replace us!". It's your right if you want to be human garbage, but it's also our right to call you out for being human garbage.
Vadara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Kokonoetanmick wrote:
CatSword wrote:
You're not just "proud of your heritage." Going to a white supremacy event means you think that your race is superior, rather you have friends of all ethnicities or not.

Sorry, but no matter what brainwashed people say, this is not a white supremacy event. I'm part of this movement and I know what I'm talking about.

Btw, I couldn't care less what names you call us. Laughing
I know what I am and I know what I'm not.

[Obviously an account you made just to post this. If you want to express an opinion, use your original account. You won't be able to post from this account any more. -T]

You ain't fooling anyone, so why don't you drop the pretense and get on your actual account like the mod asked...oh wait, it's almost like you know you'd be permabanned in an instant if you actually did.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:28 pm Reply with quote
And I thought I was a coward for wanting to stay far away from this... Rolling Eyes
Farewell Days of Youth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Can’t wait to hear about some chuckleheads chanting ‘ blood and soil’ or some other fucked up ideological fllth at this rally. But it isn’t about white supremacy, amiright gais?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
The thing about the First Amendment is that legally protects you in most cases from the government placing sanctions on you for things that are racist, sexist, homophobic, blasphemous, and various other terms relating to discrimination or bigotry. Private employers can fire you for expressing those opinions. On the other hand, there are times where the easily-offended (the Shounen Jump Weekly-type crowd) do take offense way too easily. What you say and how you say is key in most situations.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Yazu13 wrote:
The first Unite the Right rally was literally Confederate flags, Swastikas, and people chanting "Jews will not replace us!". It's your right if you want to be human garbage, but it's also our right to call you out for being human garbage.

I thought it was "You will not replace us". But yeah, any protest where Antifa shows up will probably end in violence even if it started out peaceful.
Vadara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Yazu13 wrote:

I thought it was "You will not replace us". But yeah, any protest where Antifa shows up will probably end in violence even if it started out peaceful.

Any such rally like this is inherently violent towards any jewish or non-white person in the area. As well as any women or queer people.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quote
All I can say is that if that happens, I hope the congoers, regardless of their ethnicity and heritage, stay safe.
Octorockandroll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Yazu13 wrote:

Haha, oh my god this is rich. These idiots want to hold a one year anniversary commemorating an event where one of their own committed murder and was celebrated for it and it's the people who got runover by a car who are the violent ones?

And you wonder why barely anybody likes people like you.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Octorockandroll wrote:
Haha, oh my god this is rich. These idiots want to hold a one year anniversary commemorating an event where one of their own committed murder and was celebrated for it and it's the people who got runover by a car who are the violent ones?

Uh, what do you mean by 'people like you'? Nerds? Americans? Asians? Centrists? I'm a lot of things. Be specific.

And yeah, both sides are pretty dumb if you ask me. Antifa shows up in masks with weapons, dragging old people and women out into the street and beating them with flag poles, and we're supposed to consider them the good guys? Can't do that, sorry.
Octorockandroll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Octorockandroll wrote:

Uh, what do you mean by 'people like you'? Nerds? Americans? Asians? Centrists? I'm a lot of things. Be specific.

And yeah, both sides are pretty dumb if you ask me. Antifa shows up in masks with weapons, dragging old people and women out into the street and beating them with flag poles, and we're supposed to consider them the good guys? Can't do that, sorry.

Haha, this is gold.

By all means, keep it coming.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I think it's pretty obvious to see the connection. Japan is considered an ideal country for a lot of groups. They have very strict immigration policies and have zero tolerance for illegals who try to circumvent said policies. They are a county whose population are made up of 99% ethnically Japanese, and the remaining 1% are mostly Asians from other East Asia countries. Their crime rate is amazingly low. Education rate is high. They lack all the problems diversity driven nations do. Nobody really cares about 'Asian supremacists' though, despite their hatred for blacks and Muslims as much as any white supremacist might have.

Also, keep in mind a lot of Asian-Americans are discriminated against in America in the opposite other minorities are. They get penalized for being too educated when applying to colleges and have their test scores decreased compared to blacks or hispanics. They are turned down when applying for jobs because they're lumped in with white people when it comes to affirmative action quotes. They're essentially considered honorary whites in a lot of regards by the system and the left.

-Stuart Smith

Setting aside the broad generalizations above, let's discuss the statistics.

As a Japan Times columnist explains, these oft-quoted demographics numbers for Japan are misconstrued. The Japanese census records nationality, not ethnicity.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2010/10/05/issues/census-blind-to-japans-true-diversity/#.VxQMVXLALFZ

A person of Korean ethnicity with Japanese citizenship is recorded by the census as Japanese, regardless of ethnicity. For example, Masayoshi Son, the head of Japan's fourth largest publicly-traded company, is of Korean ethnicity, but is recorded as Japanese in the census. Similarly, the author of the Japan Times column is from America, but ever since he became a naturalized citizen, he is recorded as Japanese in the census.

Actually, the Japanese government has been working to almost double the number of foreign workers in the past five years. Without immigration, Japan has experienced negative population growth since 2010.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Cover-Story/Famous-for-its-resistance-to-immigration-Japan-opens-its-doors

Last edited by Egan Loo on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
ecchigas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Octorockandroll wrote:

i actually never heard of antifa before and just looked them up
wow, they are out of control.. doxxing employees, beating up people, what a crazy bunch
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Actually, the Japanese government has been working to almost double the number of foreign workers in the past five years. Without immigration, Japan has experienced negative population growth since 2010.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Cover-Story/Famous-for-its-resistance-to-immigration-Japan-opens-its-doors

Do you have any stats on how much the birth rate has declined, and why that’s happening? I’d be interested in learning about that.

Aca Vuksa wrote:
I wonder what are they are intent to attack someone???

They’ll most likely try to incite some sort of violence. Neo-Nazis tend to be prone to violence against people they hate. In Charlottesville, a group of them wielding AR-15s stood outside a synagogue and screamed “gas the Jews!” at the worshippers who were inside.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6