• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Potential White Supremacist Rally Aligns with Otakon Weekend in DC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I know several people planning on going to Otakon, and I really hope they'll be safe. I really don't want to hear that we have a repeat of Charlottesville no matter what happens, and I hope that all con goers will be alright and nothing horrible happens.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
If you're a member of one of the groups targeted by this white supremacist scumbags (IE, if you're anything aside from a straight white man) then you absolutely should be informed about this in the most stark way possible. Worst case scenario, this could rally could be a risk to people's personal safety, and informing people of that ultimately has to take precedence over the popularity of a convention.

Uh, everyone needs to know about it. You're saying that like white people not associated with the rally would be perfectly safe. A bunch of white people were assaulted in Charlottesville too. You do NOT want to be walking around alone near rallies like that as a white guy either. Sure, the white supremacist trash will leave you alone, but you can guarantee there will be a lot of angry people there protesting the white supremacist rally.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Octorockandroll wrote:
Chester McCool wrote:

Uh, what do you mean by 'people like you'? Nerds? Americans? Asians? Centrists? I'm a lot of things. Be specific.

And yeah, both sides are pretty dumb if you ask me. Antifa shows up in masks with weapons, dragging old people and women out into the street and beating them with flag poles, and we're supposed to consider them the good guys? Can't do that, sorry.

Haha, this is gold.

By all means, keep it coming.

By all means you both can stop the childish bickering and derailing.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Actually, the Japanese government has been working to almost double the number of foreign workers in the past five years. Without immigration, Japan has experienced negative population growth since 2010.

Well, as I said, most of the foreigners in Japan are other East Asians. Your article cites Chinese, Vietnamese and Filipinos which falls in line with that definition. Your article also mentions the view the Western views of immigration being a very undesirable idea among Japanese citizens.

But my main point was it seemed obvious why a group that wants a white society for white people would appreciate Japanese society.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
Uh, everyone needs to know about it. You're saying that like white people not associated with the rally would be perfectly safe. A bunch of white people were assaulted in Charlottesville too. You do NOT want to be walking around alone near rallies like that as a white guy either. Sure, the white supremacist trash will leave you alone, but you can guarantee there will be a lot of angry people there protesting the white supremacist rally.

Oh definitely. Someone who goes to one of these protests goes at their own risk. Once the fighting breaks out, no one is safe from the violence on both sides. To say nothing of the doxxing afterwards where someone could post your photo on social media and claim you were a white supremacist and nobody asks for proof of that claim before you're fired.

-Stuart Smith
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
Actually, the Japanese government has been working to almost double the number of foreign workers in the past five years. Without immigration, Japan has experienced negative population growth since 2010.

Well, as I said, most of the foreigners in Japan are other East Asians. Your article cites Chinese, Vietnamese and Filipinos which falls in line with that definition.

By definition (at least by dictionaries and encyclopedias), Vietnam and the Philippines are grouped in Southeast Asia, as opposed to East Asia.

Stuart Smith wrote:
Your article also mentions the view the Western views of immigration being a very undesirable idea among Japanese citizens.

The context is missing:

Nikkei wrote:
Many Japanese look at the deep divisions in the West over immigration and conclude that a more open policy should be avoided. Yet the steady relaxation of migration rules has not led to the social fissures seen elsewhere.

"Japan, like all other countries, does have racist problems, but hate crime and hate speech are relatively uncommon and the issue has not been politicized. No party has embraced xenophobia," Kingston said.

Quote:
But my main point was it seemed obvious why a group that wants a white society for white people would appreciate Japanese society.

It seems that such a desire would come from a misconstrued view of Japanese society.

Last edited by Egan Loo on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:07 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Cover-Story/Famous-for-its-resistance-to-immigration-Japan-opens-its-doors

Do you have any stats on how much the birth rate has declined, and why that’s happening? I’d be interested in learning about that.

Here is a source for the birth rate and another for the population decline:

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.TFRT.IN?locations=US-JP

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/04/13/national/japans-population-shrinks-seventh-consecutive-year-falls-126-70-million/

As to why this is happening ... that's well beyond the scope of this forum thread.
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Jesus-do these white hitler motherf**kers have to ruin everything for those who don't "agree" with their trumpcentric shit?
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
omoikane wrote:

Not to say what you can or cannot post for news, but it's easy to construe this news post as "stay away from Otakon" signal, however unintended it may be.

If you're a member of one of the groups targeted by this white supremacist scumbags (IE, if you're anything aside from a straight white man) then you absolutely should be informed about this in the most stark way possible. Worst case scenario, this could rally could be a risk to people's personal safety, and informing people of that ultimately has to take precedence over the popularity of a convention.

I think that's giving into fear and false equivalency in evaluating actual risk of harm or anything bad that goes down. We are talking about downtown Washington DC. It is not some suburb in NoVa. Be assured any protest like this will be overseen by DC cops, not the failed police force out in Charlottesville, who played a major role as to what happened there. Again, I'm not saying not to report on it, but this is not a responsible way to inform.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:32 am Reply with quote
I wonder if anyone's ever considered air-dropping copies of Inglorious Basters on one of these vermin gatherings. Maybe they'll get the message.
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
The comments came out more faceted here than I thought they would. I'm glad some people are acknowledging and looking at this realistically.

To anyone who's going to Otakon and brushing this off? Please don't. It is true that if you look like a cis, White, male, you're less likely to be targeted. (Supposing you're not engaging them or defending others.) But everyone should absolutely be safe. And it's sad to say, but you shouldn't necessarily count on the cops.

I don't know how far DC cops swing on the political scale, but there are plenty of racists dems, etc out there. Cops included, and the violence against Black people gets a lot of media attention, but all PoC suffer from violence against cops.

Simply put, stay with people you trust, know your surroundings, and do your best to be safe.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:43 am Reply with quote
While I heavily disagree with these people, they do have a right to march. But I really hope everyone at Otakon stay FAR away from the march, because it wouldn't take much for the media to pick up someone in cosplay and immediately make the assumption they are part of the rally. And you can very well expect there will be counter-protesters present, especially Antifa. Which means all hell could break loose.

My best wishes for Otakon for a peaceful event.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:57 am Reply with quote
Well, that's disgusting. Seriously, you'd think after what happened in Charlotteville that the National Park Service would deny these clowns a platform upon which to espouse, but I guess not. This is not to be taken lightly what with Kessler's rep and the history of these kinds of events. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to goad congoers or disrupt Otakon.

To any people attending, this is what I say: watch out for yourself and watch out for each other. And I say make your voice heard about it and say you don't want them organizing near Otakon.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:58 am Reply with quote
I'm really disturbed at the number of people in the thread implying that antifa is somehow a greater threat than the actual white supremacists. Antifa hasn't murdered anyone; white supremacists have murdered many in the past few years, including at an identical rally just a year ago.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:01 am Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
To anyone who's going to Otakon and brushing this off? Please don't. It is true that if you look like a cis, White, male, you're less likely to be targeted.

Half true. You're less likely to be targeted by the white supremacists. White supremacists also attract a lot of angry protestors, and some of those people are violent enough to go around attacking white people (usually but not always men). So yeah, you're less likely to be targeted by one of the two groups present, but more likely to be targeted by the other group.

Walking around there (or any other white supremacist / neo nazi event) thinking that you are safe because you're a white male is incredibly stupid. These are not safe places for anyone no matter what you look like.

manapear wrote:
I don't know how far DC cops swing on the political scale, but there are plenty of racists dems, etc out there. Cops included, and the violence against Black people gets a lot of media attention, but all PoC suffer from violence against cops.

If anything happens on the national mall, it will be a national incident on massive scale. Like the other user mentioned, we aren't talking about a rally in the middle of no where that people might think could go unnoticed.
Cab329

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:27 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
I don't care what side of the political spectrum you're on, if you call another poster "a piece of ****," or something similar, your post will be deleted and you may be banned.... even if they are a piece of ****.

Likewise, if you express any racist, misogynist, or otherwise hateful POV on this forum, you can kiss your post and your posting privileges goodbye.

If you admit to harboring hateful opinions or supporting those that do, and go no further, I won't ban you. But if you so much as express one of those opinions, or express support for those that do harbor them, or make any statements that somehow diminish the hatefulness of those opinions, you're getting kicked out.

*slams on the brakes*

I'm sorry, what? The hell does that work? Don't be rude to the white supremacists. It's okay for them to admit to having those hateful opinions (which would be a form of expressing them, so your post is rather contradictory) but don't you be rude to them.

So by that logic I guess if someone got on here saying they were a NAMBLA member and posted on the forums, that would be cool as long as they were polite? Or someone who works at a conversion camp?

"I don't care what side of the political spectrum you're on" ...Yeah, well maybe you should if you're okay with bigots on here. Sounds like you need to get some standards. And don't bury your complicit policies under a broad "side of the political spectrum" just say "we're cool with bigots. Just don't harass anybody on here, even if by sharing you belong to a bigoted group or movement can make people that belong to those groups you oppose and harass fearful for their safety or feel they don't have support here."

TLDR: I like ANN but if it values politeness more than taking bigots to task, then there's something wrong with it and I'm done with it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6