• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Tamago Announces Projects For 2019

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Half of the works will be 3DCG works.
What' the point of even doing this any more, only half the projects are going to be used for the training of animators. The other half are utterly pointless and a waste of money, why not have all of them be for training animators.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:55 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Quote:
Half of the works will be 3DCG works.
What' the point of even doing this any more, only half the projects are going to be used for the training of animators. The other half are utterly pointless and a waste of money, why not have all of them be for training animators.

Considering the general state of CG anime, wouldn’t it be worthwhile to train CG animators, if not here then elsewhere?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:27 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Considering the general state of CG anime, wouldn’t it be worthwhile to train CG animators, if not here then elsewhere?
I strongly believe the solution is too use less CG, just look at BONES, their CG is not great, but they don't use much of it and their shows on average look great. The problem people have with CG, is that it doesn't blend well with the hand-drawn animation, which is not really due to unskilled CG artists.

I was re-watching the Little Witch Academia making of the other day, and there was this young girl who was not long out of university, and she was shadowing someone and doing in-betweens. That's the sort of thing these projects can give, and having more them do that is important.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:48 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I strongly believe the solution is too use less CG, just look at BONES, their CG is not great, but they don't use much of it and their shows on average look great. The problem people have with CG, is that it doesn't blend well with the hand-drawn animation, which is not really due to unskilled CG artists.

I would tend to disagree that CG can never really blend with traditional animation. Ufotable has blended CG in combination with traditional animation to the point that the average viewer generally can't really notice the difference, and that requires not only making the different parts fit together, but that those parts are themselves crafted well enough. This also misses the ways that CG is used that you don't see directly in the finished product as this article goes into

I think this idea also misses the importance of the skill of CG animators in creating fully CG anime. I think it is pretty clear that better trained CG animators will lead to better fully CG anime, unless one wants to tell me that Land of the Lustrous and Berserk 2016/17 are no different in quality.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I would tend to disagree that CG can never really blend with traditional animation. Ufotable has blended CG in combination with traditional animation to the point that the average viewer generally can't really notice the difference, and that requires not only making the different parts fit together, but that those parts are themselves crafted well enough. This also misses the ways that CG is used that you don't see directly in the finished product as this article goes into

I think this idea also misses the importance of the skill of CG animators in creating fully CG anime. I think it is pretty clear that better trained CG animators will lead to better fully CG anime, unless one wants to tell me that Land of the Lustrous and Berserk 2016/17 are no different in quality.
I am aware of the fact that CG has been blended into Anime, despite my earlier comment I was being overly harsh, And I think its fine if it is for something that you can not achieve by drawing it(like that 3D stair scene from the beginning of ep1 of Kill La Kill). But they should be striving to avoid using CG when possible. They could use one of these projects to make a Mecha anime, which could give training to people new to the industry on how to animate mechs. Because despite how well mecha is integrated, it's still awful, that link to the Comet Lucifer scene was a great example of how awful it still is. And the new season of FMP has truly awful Mechs, yet I've been informed that is what good CG Mehcs look like.

Going back to BONES, they had a decent CG plane in Dragon pilot, they also made sure that the transforming dragons were animated, this just would not look good in CG https://sakugabooru.com/data/870b6ec26d7d23043e8e855c32eb7d9a.mp4.
I think the the main point is training animators is just so much more important, CG could still improve, at the end of the day though it's really as good as it needs be, what's more important is limiting its use and having stuff like this for animators.

I see plenty of people criticising CG in Anime all the time, why is it the odd occasion I do, I never get one of those many people reply. It is always someone who disagrees? I'm not asking to live in an echo chamber, it would just be nice for a change.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1