• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Denials of (fan)Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crimson_Dragoon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:32 am Reply with quote
Regarding the PUBG suit, the situation is not as cut and dry as you're making it out to be. A recent Checkpoint video sums it up better than I possibly could (discussion starts at 1:40), but I'll try. The jist of it is that PUBG is not suing Epic Games over the use of the "Battle Royal" game mode. The creator has gone on record multiple times that he has no issue with other companies using that type of game mode and that the competition will be healthy for the genre.

The issue here is that not only does Bluehole use and license the Unreal Engine for PUBG, they directly worked with Epic Games in developing the game. So from Bluehole's perspective, Epic used the work they had done with Bluehole to develop their own similar game, which they released before PUBG got out of early access, and even used PUBG as a direct reference when advertising the Fortnite mode. In other words, Epic Games used their own customer's ideas to push out an early competitor. THIS IS NOT OK. This is not how a licencor should act. Whether is legal or not is now up for the courts to decide.

But please, please stop pushing the same story just about every other gaming site is without doing a least a modicum of research first.[/url]
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:04 am Reply with quote
What is continuously killing me about PQube's situation is how somehow Omega Labyrinth Z is not okay but the UK's VSC board gave GTA V a PEGI 18. GTA V is indeed a good game and one of my favorite titles of all-time, however with it carries a tremendous amount of violence, uncensored nudity and sexual intercourse, and for a country that has tightly regulated firearm possession and outlawed handgun ownership there's a lot of gun perpetrated violence. It's like "well we know Rockstar is likely to make a tremendous amount of money off this title and they've paid a lot for advertisement so yeah we can't ban the game or make it adult-only."

And it's not like the West doesn't know about Omega Labyrinth Z. We're not living in the late '80s where we didn't care that Super Mario Bros 2 was a re-skin of Doki Doki Panic. Thats a terrible analogy but the only one I can really come up with. There's also a very realistic possibility that PQube could have just sold the title through online sales, which would have limited it's public market penetration if the visuals were such a huge issue.

PQube could have seriously gone bankrupt considering the effort they put into the localization, not to mention they probably have to pay for licensing as well. All down the drain.

I may be trying to make excuses but I really dislike censorship, and I further hate that this is another niche' title that won't come to the West. I get tired of the multitude of FPS and violence-focused action titles that get released here. on my PS4 sans Uncharted 4 which I haven't even played and the multitude of racing titles I have, every single other game I have on the console is either a JRPG or a title with a manga/anime themed base.

Now excuse me while I go play Estival Versus and Peach Beach Splash.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
Sulfy wrote:
R. Kasahara wrote:

As for Ys VIII, I've already picked up the Switch version. My only platform choices were that or PC, and it sounds like the latter's technical issues are much worse (still). Hopefully the patches NIS has in the works will fix things a bit. And hopefully the next Ys game will be handled by XSEED/Marvelous.

Are you serious? I heard there were issues at launch (despite being delayed last year) but to hear they still haven't brought it up to snuff is just ridiculous. Personally going to be skipping Ys 8 as I'm not the biggest Ys fan (Trails is more my thing) and there are other Switch games to purchase. What a shame Ys 8 got such shoddy treatment though.

Check out the reviews on Steam. It sounds like the game is still buggy enough to crash for a fair number of players. PC is my preferred platform for Ys games, mainly because that's where the series started, but it seems like this port was botched, big time.

Ys is my favorite action RPG series, so there was no way I was going to skip this one. I just wish my options weren't between a port with noticeable graphics issues and another with random crashing Confused
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I_Drive_DSM wrote:
What is continuously killing me about PQube's situation is how somehow Omega Labyrinth Z is not okay but the UK's VSC board gave GTA V a PEGI 18. GTA V is indeed a good game and one of my favorite titles of all-time, however with it carries a tremendous amount of violence, uncensored nudity and sexual intercourse,

None of the GTA games have anymore violence than what you've seen in the last two Mortal Kombat games and simply having a considerable amount of it isn't a big deal it depends on how the violence is depictedb(which is shaky). Whereas the nudity is largely restricted to the in game strip club and is fairly tame just like the sexual intercourse.

To have a game get slapped with an AO rating or to get it banned it has to basically have the kind of content that got Manhunt 2 slapped with an AO rating or what got Hatred and that High School Shooter game banned from Steam.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Crimson_Dragoon wrote:
Regarding the PUBG suit, the situation is not as cut and dry as you're making it out to be. A recent Checkpoint video sums it up better than I possibly could (discussion starts at 1:40), but I'll try. The jist of it is that PUBG is not suing Epic Games over the use of the "Battle Royal" game mode. The creator has gone on record multiple times that he has no issue with other companies using that type of game mode and that the competition will be healthy for the genre.

The issue here is that not only does Bluehole use and license the Unreal Engine for PUBG, they directly worked with Epic Games in developing the game. So from Bluehole's perspective, Epic used the work they had done with Bluehole to develop their own similar game, which they released before PUBG got out of early access, and even used PUBG as a direct reference when advertising the Fortnite mode. In other words, Epic Games used their own customer's ideas to push out an early competitor. THIS IS NOT OK. This is not how a licencor should act. Whether is legal or not is now up for the courts to decide.

But please, please stop pushing the same story just about every other gaming site is without doing a least a modicum of research first.[/url]

The only way they could possibly have a case is if Epic used their code. Which they didn't, so they have broken no law.

Whether what they did is ethical or not is totally irrelevant to this case
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The visual novel Maitetsu is coming to Steam, though you can only get the 18+ version through Fakku!.

FAKKU! is indeed the publisher, but the localization was handled by Sekai Project. Aaand it seems they managed to screw it up. Royally. Unless it was intentional by someone(licensor, Sekai, ?);
https://twitter.com/FAKKU/status/1013147570875453440
Quote:
Regarding the current issues with Maitetsu. We are being told by the publisher that in an effort to integrate materials from the console version (additional content, etc.), some assets got mixed up in the 18+ release unintentionally. We'll keep you updated on a fix!

'Something' meaning in this context EVERYTHING (CG, dialog, etc) except the hentai scenes themselves were from the all-ages version.

Here is Raymond Qian's response from Sekai:
https://twitter.com/dobacco/status/1013213097132154882
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ECcHQStHoBIOFVrbYJi8lA1LYhDNIVHryTuEl1ty9wU/
The google doc is copy protected so can't quote it here.

Of note Sekai has received quite a lot of death threats since yesterday. While I'm fully behind the sentiments against Sekai over this, that is not okay.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Of note Sekai has received quite a lot of death threats since yesterday. While I'm fully behind the sentiments against Sekai over this, that is not okay.

No one should be receiving death threats for making a video game, period.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
If you think that banning something is ever a proper resolution, then you're doing it wrong.

If someone's gonna make a game, let people play the game. If they don't like it, they don't play it or they review it negatively. Negative games don't get sales. That's how it works.

I honestly can't think of one positive outcome that comes out of banning the sale of a game.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:37 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
If you think that banning something is ever a proper resolution, then you're doing it wrong.

If someone's gonna make a game, let people play the game. If they don't like it, they don't play it or they review it negatively. Negative games don't get sales. That's how it works.

I honestly can't think of one positive outcome that comes out of banning the sale of a game.

This is something about games discussion that just tires me, the decision to not release a game in an area isn't "banning" it but it's always framed as such. I really dislike it: it's alarmist language, it feeds into the ideology that gamers are somehow an attacked and underprivileged minority, and it really does feel like it's in bad faith.

The game wasn't "banned", Sony just canceled its release plans. There's no law prohibiting you from owning it, there won't be any negative repercussions if you're caught with a copy, you're not gonna get in trouble if you go through the trouble of trying to get an import copy. There's no systematic attempt at removing it from the public eye. Its just dropped for US release.

That said, it's pretty weird of Sony, considering how far along in development it was. I mean, I would understand if this was for Devil's Third or something like that--a game that just gets eviscerated in both critical and consumer reception (I'm surprised Nintendo bothered putting it out in the US, limited as its run may have been). But it's my understanding that the Omega Labytinth games have... some degree of a fanbase? I have no idea what Sony's reasoning was, but it must have been a big deal if they're willing to risk angering a(n admittedly small) fanbase.

What really bums me out: the name-changes on Mega Man X5. I recall being loaned that game in middle school, and reading the manual only to find that the mavericks in-game had completely different names. Spike Rosered is called Axl the Rose in-game? Weird. But honestly? I prefer the GNR names, and it's not like Mega Man X is above having silly referential names for bosses.

I'm with Heidi, not being able to fight Duff McWhalen as Duff McWhalen just isn't fair. RIP The Skyver, Burn Mattrex, Izzy Glow...
squirrelmecha-2.0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I was looking forward for Omega Labyrinth Z Hope it's gets some kind of PC release here. :/
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
This is something about games discussion that just tires me, the decision to not release a game in an area isn't "banning" it but it's always framed as such. I really dislike it: it's alarmist language, it feeds into the ideology that gamers are somehow an attacked and underprivileged minority, and it really does feel like it's in bad faith.

The game wasn't "banned", Sony just canceled its release plans. There's no law prohibiting you from owning it, there won't be any negative repercussions if you're caught with a copy, you're not gonna get in trouble if you go through the trouble of trying to get an import copy. There's no systematic attempt at removing it from the public eye. Its just dropped for US release.

Now you're just arguing semantics. Any way you try to frame it, the game is not allowed to be released here. Culturally, legally, whatever the reason doesn't matter.
squirrelmecha-2.0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:34 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:

Now you're just arguing semantics. Any way you try to frame it, the game is not allowed to be released here. Culturally, legally, whatever the reason doesn't matter.

Actually still buy import the Japanese version
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:

We live in a new age, an age where you don't have to burn books to control what is available to the public. This wasn't Sony stopping a project because it was a loss leader, but rather bowing to pressure from one group of people to control what another group of people could play. The intent behind this is the hallmark of banning and censorship.

Other posters are right, Sony does have a right to control what is on and off of their platform. They are doing the same things Apple is doing with their eco system. Though Sony is feeling a little bit of the heat during the current cross platform controversy.

Still, they are bowing to pressure from one group of people to control what another group of people can play. That is what banning and censorship is all about. Not to mention, back stabbing that game company at the last minute.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
We don't know for sure why Sony canned the release, actually, and there's no indication that I've seen so far that they were under pressure from any groups to stop it. That's one of the reasons why this is so bizarre. The game was approved by the ESRB even too. This is a case where I really wish I could be a fly on the wall in Sony's headquarters when this decision was made, because I doubt we'll ever get a straight answer why.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2