• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Tsugumomo Release Uses Mix of Broadcast & Uncut Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:17 pm Reply with quote
This is reminiscent of the Koihime Musou situation, where only Japan got the completely uncensored versions, while Sentai and others got a mid-level "uncensored, but with chibis" version. But at least with that franchise, Sentai wasn't stuck releasing TV-censored materials.

configspace wrote:
CatSword wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
Them not wanting to give naked uncensored 8 year girl material to FUNimation makes sense. I don't really fault them.These things spread like wildfire these days.

Funimation has released things like Dance in the Vampire Bund, Dragonar Academy, High School DxD, and Strike Witches in which very young girls get very naked. They've never really come under fire for it, and the fact that it's been censored is drawing more attention to it then it would've if it were uncensored.

Exactly! And in this case, it's not specific Kiriha scenes that were censored, it's the entire episode including censoring other characters

Based on Funimation's statement they simply did not get the uncensored masters for those episodes while they did for other episodes for whatever reason. If they already knew about this, it's utterly disappointing they tried to keep quiet about it.
Indeed, it would be unfortunate enough if it were a Haganai-like situation where broadcast imagery/scenes were inserted to replace questionable loli fanservice. But in this case, scenes featuring service from suitably mature characters get caught in the dragnet as well. The other unfortunate side effect is that if there were any animation corrections or improvements in those episodes between the TV and BD releases, we miss out on those as well.

I wonder if CR/Funi have clauses in their contracts that allow them to cancel disc releases if they don't feel they can release a sufficiently profitable version. After all, Funimation's small clientele of loyal perverts is going to be up in arms about the censorship, while the censored version still contains more than enough fanservice and nudity to turn the average consumer away. Unless the dub represents too much of a sunk cost that needs to be recouped via disc sales, the ability to cut bait if the Japanese licensors won't provide uncensored masters could help US distributors avoid losing money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5