• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Forum Rules 06/29/2018

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChronoC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:15 am Reply with quote
Deleted for slur use-LL
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:29 am Reply with quote
If you're talking about YuGiOh, DnD, or a carnivorous plant I'm fairly sure you aren't on the chopping block.

Pretending that it's a confusing mess that will lead to the mass banning of the innocent is incredibly bad faith.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:29 am Reply with quote
zelsphere wrote:
...Then this should be alright as well, right?

OK: I really dislike Junjou� Romantica because the gayness makes me uncomfortable and I think it promotes the destruction of traditional families...

No. That won't be tolerated here. It's the sort of thing that makes other members of the ANN community feel unwelcome. It is being a "jerk" towards them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChronoC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:31 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
If you're talking about YuGiOh, DnD, or a carnivorous plant I'm fairly sure you aren't on the chopping block.

That was pretty funny, actually.

I'm not saying you shouldn't ban the words. I'm saying that it doesn't matter how often they are used, if they are slur, they should be banned. In context, of course.

Errinundra wrote:
It is being a "jerk" towards them.

I find it amazing that this still needs to be explained. Have we really gotten to the point where you need to explain how not to be a jerk? I know people are much ruder online, but I at least assumed they knew they were jerks.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:38 am Reply with quote
ChronoC wrote:
I know people are much ruder online, but I at least assumed they knew they were jerks.

Obviously people know. That's why the recent "Sooo, how far *excellently* can I go with this?" is so unproductive.

I have a different question: When I report a comment for breaking the rules, and the commenter themselves edits the offending part out after my complaint, will I look like I'm just troll-reporting something out of spite, or can mods see the original context?
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:40 am Reply with quote
ChronoC wrote:
Seif wrote:

That was pretty funny, actually.

I'm not saying you shouldn't ban the words. I'm saying that it doesn't matter how often they are used, if they are slur, they should be banned. In context, of course.

Errinundra wrote:
It is being a "jerk" towards them.

I find it amazing that this still needs to be explained. Have we really gotten to the point where you need to explain how not to be a jerk? I know people are much ruder online, but I at least assumed they knew they were jerks.

I agree 100%. I was just pointing out how odd Fox dude was making his point when he was trying to use that list of slurs as representing some great loss to the forum's vernacular.
Foxofgrey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:45 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
Foxofgrey wrote:

So, just so we're clear here, the following words are banned:

Deleted for slur use-LL

All of the above are considered slurs, so might as well, in all context regardless, ban these words as well.

So, how often do you use *** and "***" in everyday conversations?

My point was not how often used these words are, in fact, that actually helps my argument further. All of these were used as slurs in the past, and sometimes now. As Trey Parker said, "Either it's all okay or nothing is okay." Treat all slurs equally in other words.

Also, for context, *** is a derogatory slur for Italians, while *** was used as a slur for people of Asian descent, mainly the Japanese American immigrants during WW2.

And, I'm surprised that you didn't say most of the slurs I mentioned were discussed in one of iDubbbz's content cop episodes.

Errinundra wrote:
zelsphere wrote:

OK: I really dislike Junjou� Romantica because the gayness makes me uncomfortable and I think it promotes the destruction of traditional families...

No. That won't be tolerated here. It's the sort of thing that makes other members of the ANN community feel unwelcome. It is being a "jerk" towards them.

So if I were to say, " *insert anime with monogamous marriage* makes me uncomfortable because it promotes family values that should be destroyed." would that be tolerated? It's essentially the other side of the same coin.
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:54 am Reply with quote
I'm well aware of what those slurs mean. I also have no idea who the hell iDubbbz is.

Additionally, I have no inkling of what gave you the idea that your list of slurs are okay just because they weren't specifically mentioned. "****" is being heavily discussed because of it's deep roots in the anime community and it's frequent casual usage. Many people are ignorant of the baggage it carries. You don't have to have some kind of master list to know that "****" is not acceptable.
zelsphere

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:00 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
zelsphere wrote:

How is it any more "unwelcoming" than stating an anime is purely fan service and indirectly calling anyone who likes that anime an "misogynist " because it "objectifies" women ??

That example octopodpie posted which was "OK".
I would certainly take than as being a "jerk" for calling my favorite anime "fan service" and "objectifies women"

Last edited by zelsphere on Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:08 am Reply with quote
Because "gay people existing is destorying the traditional family" is not the same as "I think this show is hateful towards women."

Do you feel that those two statements are equal?
Foxofgrey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:09 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
I'm well aware of what those slurs mean. I also have no idea who the hell iDubbbz is.

Additionally, I have no inkling of what gave you the idea that your list of slurs are okay just because they weren't specifically mentioned. "****" is being heavily discussed because of it's deep roots in the anime community and it's frequent casual usage. Many people are ignorant of the baggage it carries. You don't have to have some kind of master list to know that "wop" is not acceptable.

It doesn't really much matter with the context of the word, you have to treat all words equally and honestly look at the actual context of how people use the term. For example, since this is the main topic of this post, using the term "****" to describe someone who is transgender is wrong, especially when using it as a defense if said person were to assault the trans individual and used that as an excuse. However, what most people today are using it for is with completely different context than what it originally was used for. The modern context of the word means a male who wants to cross dress as a female, for the purposes of certain activities including cosplaying, roleplaying, and such other activities. People who use this term today do not use it to describe someone who is trans, which is someone, of any gender, who is mentally feeling a completely different gender than what their physical body is and want to transition into that other gender they feel like mentally, permanently. So, no, people today use "****" as not a negative slur for trans individuals, but for a positive compliment to someone who cross dresses.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:12 am Reply with quote
zelsphere wrote:
How is it any more "unwelcoming" than stating an anime is purely fan service and indirectly calling anyone who likes that anime an "misogynist " because it "objectifies" women ??

That example octopodpie posted which was "OK".
I would certain take than as being a "jerk" for calling my favorite anime "fan service" and "objectifies women"

The mods refuse to admit it, but it is pretty clear now that this website is a left leaning site and the new rules are geared towards embracing a leftist ideological moderating standard. Making people who like fanservice uncomfortable is ok because the moderating staff are largely progressive and so 4th wave feminism is perfectly acceptable in its most extreme forms. On the other hand the example concerning homosexuality is not ok because it involves conservative values and therefore is outside what is now the acceptable standard here.

Honestly if they want to run and extreme left website its their choice. I just wish they were honest about it.
zelsphere

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:12 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
Because "gay people existing is destorying the traditional family" is not the same as "I think this show is hateful towards women."

I didn't say that??
If you want to quote me, at least try to do it correctly.

P.S you are acting in bad faith and being a jerk right now, please stop.

Last edited by zelsphere on Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:17 am; edited 2 times in total
animefanworried

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:14 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:

One statement is implying that homosexuality and those who practice it are wrong. The other implies that sexually revealing clothing and sexually inciting series are sexist and therefore, by association, is implying that those who enjoy it without shame are also sexist, therefore wrong. Both are pretty much the same.
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:19 am Reply with quote
"I think a show is misogynistic" and "People who like this show are misogynistic" are two completely diffrent statements. Stop internalizing criticism of shows you like.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 21