• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Forum Rules 06/29/2018

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChronoC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:21 am Reply with quote
Deleted for slur use-LL

Seif wrote:
Stop internalizing criticism of shows you like.

BINGO! Here's a major problem in anime forums especially. Taking criticism of a show as a personal attack. "This show is sexist" does not automatically mean that anyone watching it is sexist, but that's what most people who watch a show accused of sexism hear. A personal attack. That's just wrong. I like harem show. Most of them are sexist as hell. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm not sexist. Yet I enjoy the shows.

Some argue that you can replace "****" with "otokonoko" and well, yeah, it's similar. Not exactly the same. I personally don't like it because it's too long, so maybe we can just make up another word, like "otomu". Short for "otoko no musume". How about that?

Last edited by ChronoC on Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Halko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:23 am Reply with quote
The issue isnt about leaning left or right but about squelching any and all discussion about topics because someone gets their feelings hurt. You cant so much as mention being uncomfortable with something such as a gay kiss or copious male fanservice because it "presents an unwelcome feeling" on the forum. I didn't care for Free because it was really awkward to watch. Now im literally hitler and a homophobe out to destroy gay communities and dont deserve to speak. Then two threads down will be someone posting about how awkward it is to watch DxD and it will have 100 posts and as many deleted from an opposing viewpoint.

It doesnt matter if what is said is outwardly hurtful or aggressive. It just has to indirectly offend someone on the mod team and its a no go. Its the death of any meaningful discussion regarding these kinds of issues.

Discussions can be hurtful. Its just a fact of life. What makes a discussion bad is when it is done with a clear intent to make it hurtful and offensive and there is a very clear line thats crossed.
ChronoC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:32 am Reply with quote
Halko wrote:
You cant so much as mention being uncomfortable with something such as a gay kiss or copious male fanservice because it "presents an unwelcome feeling" on the forum.

But you can. You can say "I didn't like Free because gayness makes me uncomfortable".
You can't say "I didn't like Free because those **** made me uncomfortable". Don't you see the difference? I think it's fine to be uncomfortable around homosexuality. Some people grew up in different cultures or circumstances. But you shoudn't insult those people, they've done nothing to you.

Also... Free isn't gay. It may have some homosexual overtones, but it's not actually gay. None of the characters are.
Halko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:38 am Reply with quote
ChronoC wrote:
Halko wrote:
You cant so much as mention being uncomfortable with something such as a gay kiss or copious male fanservice because it "presents an unwelcome feeling" on the forum.

But you can. You can say "I didn't like Free because gayness makes me uncomfortable".
You can't say "I didn't like Free because those fags made me uncomfortable". Don't you see the difference? I think it's fine to be uncomfortable around homosexuality. Some people grew up in different cultures or circumstances. But you shoudn't insult those people, they've done nothing to you.

Also... Free isn't gay. It may have some homosexual overtones, but it's not actually gay. None of the characters are.

Fully aware nothing about it was directly gay and was just using it as an example of a double standard that would and already has happened somewhat with moderation. "This person disagreed with me in an inoffensive way without insults and i didn't like it so im deleting his post because im hurt." The rules as they are written blatantly makes this an ok thing to do. If you want to do that fine but man up to it and say it directly at least.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:52 am Reply with quote
Going on and on about how uncomfortable "gayness" makes you, regardless of how "politely" you phrase it, makes gay users of the forums uncomfortable and contributes to an unwelcome environment. That seems to be the whole point of the new rules: Even if you try to say it "nicely," couch it in XYZ other beliefs, etc., bigotry is still bigotry and won't be tolerated. I'm gay, and bigotry couched in religion still hurts, still harms us just as much (if not more, sometimes) than homophobia for other reasons, and is still completely unnecessary considering I've yet to find a religion used to "justify" homophobia that doesn't have other members who are not homophobic, who interpret their sacred texts just as (if not more) deeply and thoughtfully. That's something you can think about and adjust; I can't change the fact that I'm a lesbian.

Is there any reason to bring that up anyway? What does "I'd watch this but it's too gay" contribute to the conversation? If you absolutely have to say it, there are other ways that don't imply homophobia: "I don't like yaoi/yuri" (genres with their own set of tropes, some of which LGBT people find distasteful, too) or "Cool premise but since it seems to focus more on the characters' muscles than anything else, as a straight guy I'm not that interested." Even so though, I don't see why it's so important to go into threads about shows you're not interested in just to say that, which is different from a detailed criticism.

Anyway, on another topic: I've enjoyed shows that I also thought had misogynistic elements to them, just like I've enjoyed shows that were overall good but might've had one plot twist or one character I didn't like. It's totally possible for someone to criticize a show without criticizing people who like it. That's the difference between the statements in question: "gay kissing makes me uncomfortable and contributes to the destruction of traditional families" says something negative and hurtful about gay people. "This show objectifies women" only says anything about the show, not any actual people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zelsphere

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:03 am Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
Going on and on about how uncomfortable "gayness" makes you, regardless of how "politely" you phrase it, makes gay users of the forums uncomfortable and contributes to an unwelcome environment. That seems to be the whole point of the new rules: Even if you try to say it "nicely," couch it in XYZ other beliefs, etc., bigotry is still bigotry and won't be tolerated. I'm gay, and bigotry couched in religion still hurts, still harms us just as much (if not more, sometimes) than homophobia for other reasons, and is still completely unnecessary considering I've yet to find a religion used to "justify" homophobia that doesn't have other members who are not homophobic, who interpret their sacred texts just as (if not more) deeply and thoughtfully. That's something you can think about and adjust; I can't change the fact that I'm a lesbian.

Is there any reason to bring that up anyway? What does "I'd watch this but it's too gay" contribute to the conversation? If you absolutely have to say it, there are other ways that don't imply homophobia: "I don't like yaoi/yuri" (genres with their own set of tropes, some of which LGBT people find distasteful, too) or "Cool premise but since it seems to focus more on the characters' muscles than anything else, as a straight guy I'm not that interested." Even so though, I don't see why it's so important to go into threads about shows you're not interested in just to say that, which is different from a detailed criticism.

Anyway, on another topic: I've enjoyed shows that I also thought had misogynistic elements to them, just like I've enjoyed shows that were overall good but might've had one plot twist or one character I didn't like. It's totally possible for someone to criticize a show without criticizing people who like it. That's the difference between the statements in question: "gay kissing makes me uncomfortable and contributes to the destruction of traditional families" says something negative and hurtful about gay people. "This show objectifies women" only says anything about the show, not any actual people.

You are more or less making the same point as most of us, if you don't like a yaoi show you don't need to make a point about how much you hate gayness, just don't watch it. If you don't like harem/ecchi anime you don't need to make an editorial/post about how much you hate those kind of anime and label it as objectifying woman and fan service, well knowing what kind of show it is.

Being a jerk against gays or being a jerk against straight people should both be bad, no??
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:22 am Reply with quote
No, I made a point in my post that there is a difference between a flippant "why I'm not watching this" comment that contributes nothing to the conversation, vs. a more specific, pointed or detailed criticism like "I don't like how this show objectifies women." They aren't the same thing. Also not all shows that people would criticize for being "objectifying" would be harem/ecchi genre shows, nor do all harem shows treat women the same way.

I'm pretty sure the rules make it clear that no one is allowed to be made fun of for any of the traits listed, even if they're in a "majority" or "privileged" group. It's been brought up that there are people on the forums who've had weird hateful vendettas against white people or men, and they've been dealt with as hate speech/trolling just like in the reverse situation.

That said, since this keeps coming up, I'm curious what you would define as "hatred against straight people" and any examples you would list that have happened on this forum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zelsphere

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:31 am Reply with quote
No, I made a point in my post that there is a difference between a flippant "why I'm not watching this" comment that contributes nothing to the conversation, vs. a more specific, pointed or detailed criticism like "I don't like how this show objectifies women." They aren't the same thing. Also not all shows that people would criticize for being "objectifying" would be harem/ecchi genre shows, nor do all harem shows treat women the same way.

I'm pretty sure the rules make it clear that no one is allowed to be made fun of for any of the traits listed, even if they're in a "majority" or "privileged" group. It's been brought up that there are people on the forums who've had weird hateful vendettas against white people or men, and they've been dealt with as hate speech/trolling just like in the reverse situation.

That said, since this keeps coming up, I'm curious what you would define as "hatred against straight people" and any examples you would list that have happened on this forum.

What is it with people in this thread not being able to quote??
I've never said "hatred against straight people" ?!

"No, I made a point in my post that there is a difference between a flippant "why I'm not watching this" comment that contributes nothing to the conversation, vs. a more specific, pointed or detailed criticism like "I don't like how this show objectifies women." They aren't the same thing"

How is, I didn't like this show because it was overtly homo erotic any differently from I don't like how this show objectifies women?? All you are doing is praising it differently.

Furthermore we are talking about anime right? Everything in anime are objectified! school, life, love, men, women, food
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:02 am Reply with quote
^
There is a difference in claiming a word as a self-description and using it to describe other people, when that other group has pointed out that the term is considered a slur. Just as a certain group of people is allowed to use the n-word as a self-description, but another group of people is not encouraged to call the first group that name. Context matters quite a bit.

If you want to proclaim yourself a tr*p, by all means. Sure. Who am I to judge. If this term is meaningful to you, that is one thing.

But can we not pretend that that's what's been discussed here in this context?

Also, this is very much not the identity of those Anime characters, as the concept is not a Japanese one, but a western interpretation coined by 4chan.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:14 am Reply with quote
Seriously, why don't people simply ignore comments by accounts that were very obviously created for the sole purpose of derailing this dicussion?! Or doesn't it seem odd to you that someone who made an account today seems to be so concerned about what they are/aren't allowed to say here anymore...? Rolling Eyes
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:16 am Reply with quote
Because I felt that they were genuinely upset about this, and not just trying to derail.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:
Because I felt that they were genuinely upset about this, and not just trying to derail.

I wasn't refering to you or the person you responded to specifically (though cynical me is not so sure about the 'being genuinely upset part', to be honest...), but to a couple of accounts who'd been created in the past few of days, people had been argueing back and forth for several pages now.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:

I wasn't refering to you or the person you responded to specifically (though cynical me is not so sure about the 'being genuinely upset part', to be honest...), but to a couple of accounts who'd been created in the past few of days, people had been argueing back and forth for several pages now.

Nah, you're right, there's a tremendous amount of (extremely predictable and obvious) bad-faith trolling happening i this thread. Cleaning it up now.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:44 am Reply with quote
Halko wrote:
"This person disagreed with me in an inoffensive way without insults and i didn't like it so im deleting his post because im hurt." The rules as they are written blatantly makes this an ok thing to do. If you want to do that fine but man up to it and say it directly at least.

You don't get to "politely" argue for white supremacy here anymore. If you were doing that before and you're arguing for your ability to continue doing it now, you're definitely gonna get banned.

If you weren't doing that or aren't doing that, then you really have no reason to be upset or """worried""" about these easy-to-follow rules.
Halko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:46 am Reply with quote
Going on and on about how uncomfortable "gayness" makes you, regardless of how "politely" you phrase it, makes gay users of the forums uncomfortable and contributes to an unwelcome environment.

This argument right here is much of what the problem is. Someone saying that they dont appreciate seeing something does not mean it is an attack on someone who enjoys seeing that. If someone enjoys watching gory horror flicks with lots of blood and guts its fine and there is nothing wrong with it. Whats wrong is berating someone that comes up and says that it makes them uncomfortable to watch and they would rather not. No insults are being made and nothing is said that is questionable or aggressively pushes someone out of a discussion or place. It only becomes an issue when either side gets way too sensitive about a subject and projects their insecurity in whatever their position is into action or it is directly infringing on their rights or freedoms. You dont walk up to a gay couple and politely ask them not to hug or kiss which by the way doesnt and has never made me uncomfortable. The fact still remains that i dont appreciate male oriented fanservice.

Still the best way to handle something like this isnt in a blanket censorship aimed at removing any and all forms of something that could be taken as offensive by the most sensitive around us. The best way to handle it is to point out issues as they come up and discuss them in a reasonable manner. The biggest problem with this is that most discussions dont end up with a clear cut winning argument so how do you moderate something like that? You weed out the trolls and the not-so-nice-people and keep the discussion open. You cant just let a group stamp down what is or isnt offensive from one perspective and rigorously hand out punishments.

What society has been barreling towards is a situation where everyone is a porcupine trying to cram into a crowded subway. Many people are looking out for things that can or will offend them that everything becomes an offense to themselves. Its silly. Someone simply stating they disagree with an opinion about if something is offensive or a problem is not a grounds for moderation unless it is literally them condoning some terrible shit.

"I find this scene sexist."
"Thats silly how is this sexist?" BANNED

That is not a situation that should happen.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 21