• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2018 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:14 am Reply with quote
Time Bandit wrote:
James, whether you meant it to or not, I started laughing my butt off at your first sentence for your Island review. Razz That was...a very strange show. Honestly not sure how I feel about it yet, but I will give it another episode to see. I will say that the visuals of that beach at night with that rainbowy starscape was very pretty though.

I am curious if we could saw that was Karen's first sexual experience. It was not rape nor sexual assault.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Within the first ten seconds of ISLAND's premiere, we're greeted with the sight of a very young girl engaging in what seems to be a very uncomfortable sexual encounter; just minutes later, we see an entirely different girl faceplant right onto an unconscious naked man's dick.

All I needed to know. Thanks for the warning.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
High school student Natsuki is a hard-working, fiercely competitive badminton player, but she got so badly trounced by an opponent in Nationals the previous year that she's had trouble dealing with the talent gap between her and that rival. This has led her to taking out her frustrations on her fellow club mates at Kitakomachi High School in a relentless effort to improve, and some of them have had enough of her aggression. The arrival of a new coach, who once made Japan's Olympics team, promises to shake things up, but what truly unsettles Natsuki is a familiar face who shows up at their school. It's Ayano, the girl who beat her the previous year, but she seems to be avoiding badminton now despite her overwhelming talent.

So it's basically Yuri!!! on Ice but literal?
Dragonsandphoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:23 am Reply with quote
Hanebado! is showing some promise. I'm invested in the main protagonist's struggles. I need more story on the other girl, Ayano, though because I am not a fan of "sports prodigy is jaded and has to get back into the sport" narratives in general. I hope this show ends up being good because there are not enough sports anime with female protagonists who want something real bad and will do anything to achieve it.

As a sidenote, what does Hanebado stand for? I assume "bado" comes from badminton.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:35 am Reply with quote
Dragonsandphoenix wrote:
Hanebado! is showing some promise. I'm invested in the main protagonist's struggles. I need more story on the other girl, Ayano, though because I am not a fan of "sports prodigy is jaded and has to get back into the sport" narratives in general. I hope this show ends up being good because there are not enough sports anime with female protagonists who want something real bad and will do anything to achieve it.

As a sidenote, what does Hanebado stand for? I assume "bado" comes from badminton.

"Hane" is from Ayano Hanesaki, the main character.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:01 am Reply with quote
Hanebado! appears interesting from a character standpoint. However, with regards to Badminton as a competitive sport I have to agree with Ayano, what is the point?

Of course I feel that way about all sports. Razz

Concerning Island the first episode has just too many obvious mysteries and the main character is too much of a goof. I also really doubt that opening scene is what it appears to be. I may try one more episode and hope that it improves.
Mhora

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:04 am Reply with quote
Oh boy! I'm 4 min into the first ep of Island and...is this The Lost Village of summer 2018? Give me that hilarious shit again!
Trendo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:49 am Reply with quote
A little sideinfo for everyone about "Island"
Island is a All Ages VN, so yeah....no sexy time, also the author for the vn is the same person that wrote the script for Himawari and Narcissu 3rd
But that is not the only the reason why i expect much more from the title, i already finished the vn and there is much more than "your typical moe moe vn adaption" but just my 2 cents
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
Mhora wrote:
Oh boy! I'm 4 min into the first ep of Island and...is this The Lost Village of summer 2018? Give me that hilarious shit again!

In what way could you possibly compare Island to The Lost Village? At least up front this looks like an old-school, standard-as-they-come moe VN adaptation, and TLV is nothing like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:13 pm Reply with quote
The schedule: https://myanimelist.net/anime/season
First an addendum to last season. Netflix finally delivered an anime worth watching with Aggressive Retsuko. The original series (both have different canons) is slightly superior though, so watch it first. On to the promising shows and more Gintama is fine too, i guess:

Angolmois - Genkou Kassenki I haven´t tried the manga and will hold back my expectations due to that but the setting and character designs look neat. Especially if i consider how weirdly rare good chanbara anime became.

Attack on Titan S03 explains itself.

Banana Fish The manga is now 33 years old and is a gang drama set in 1973. Meaning that no one expected this adaptation to happen. I wonder who the target audience is, yet shows as this are what noitaminA was created for. It´s nice to see the imprint return to it´s roots during the last year. If only their film division could follow suit. The source material is a shoujo manga btw and rarely has a demographic fit less. I lastly advise to stay away if you can´t stand rape. The manga really went all out in that regard and frankly could have used less.

FLCL Progressive I wasn´t crazy about the April´s fool premier but it was good enough to go on for one more ep. Unlike the immediately incoherent and joyless FLCL Alternative from last season. All in all a sequel/reboot hybrid i could have done without, unless the team immediately pulls a 180.

The 3rd Attack on Titan compilation film and the last Lost Girls OVA are coming to Blu-ray. Rohan from JoJo and Golden Kamuy are further getting an OVA and the forever delayed Terra Formars OVA is also coming out. It´s by the 2nd studio, so i ain´t holding my breath. Especially if i consider the huge story gap this adaptation is about to create. The Death of Superman Part 1 is also scheduled for this month.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
The color scheme of the banner looks like the anti-summer Preview Guide. Did someone think this was for Fall? Or for the Fall of civilization?

I gave Island a shot after reading the reviews, and it does look kind of intriguing, but unless this summer turns out to be thin pickings, which I'm not expecting, I'll probably have to pass on it. I'm not much of a fan of the types in his harem, and they would probably drive me up a wall even if the plot is good. I have zero experience with VNs outside of anime adaptations, but even I could tell this was one, just from the girls. Very Happy

Hanebado! doesn't quite seem to be the women's sports series I've been waiting for my whole life, but it looks closer than anything I can think of. Maybe that's why they only gave it one exclamation point. I do wonder if they thought the body horror of swapping everyone's faces through the net in the OP was clever. If so, that doesn't bode well...
Blankslate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Island - 1/5 - The most generic visual novel adaptation I've seen in probably 10+ years. Still, there is something about it that makes me vaguely nostalgic and want to continue the series. Maybe I'm just missing "early 2000s bad" after being subjected to "2010s bad" for almost a decade.

Hanebado - 5/5 - This is such a huge improvement over the source material it's not even funny. The manga opens with the glasses girl giving dull exposition about the captain losing her middle school tournament. Then the male advisor/coach sees a rambunctious airhead (the most generic archetype for sports protagonists) climb a tree, which makes him think she'll be a good match for badminton. Then the two characters have their match.
Literally everything else about the episode is different including the tone (the manga has a lot more gag moments and is a lot more male gazey). Thank god for that.
Seriously, even the framing of who the main character is also completely different. In the manga, the male advisor/coach is the main character (inner monologues, everything told from his point of view) while in the anime, the team captain is framed as the main character.

Last edited by Blankslate on Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The color scheme of the banner looks like the anti-summer Preview Guide. Did someone think this was for Fall? Or for the Fall of civilization?

Hahah, once I was done making it I thought "you know, this is way more of a Fall banner" but that is a shot of a summertime sunset in Osaka and I kinda dug the look.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing word of mouth about the source material would have already spoiled this, but the setup for Island sounds like something that would lead up to shit hitting the fan at the very last scene of episode three and then give us some Madoka-emulating craziness for the rest of the season.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
Dragonsandphoenix wrote:

"Hane" is from Ayano Hanesaki, the main character.
"Hane" incidentally means "feather" and can also be used to refer to the shuttlecock.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 20