• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Threatens Shooting at Anime Expo, Authorities Notified

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:
Quote:
Grubbs stated that he met Rodriguez in 2012, and believes that his temperament is tied to failed romantic relationships and that he engages in "bizarre behavior" in order to obtain attention.

Yes, cause breakups mean you need to do things like that... How do parents raise children like these without noticing how screwed up and dangerous they are becoming?
I don't know, but romantic and sexual failures sure are an awfully common thread in a lot of these mass killings.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Surf_rock wrote:
Talking about gun control under an article about potential shooting? Preposterous!

There are many people, such as myself, who believe that guns are not the problem, but rather that we, as a society, don't address the problems that mental illness can create. Instead of getting help for those that need it, we close mental health facilities and look down on those that need help. Even if guns sales were even more restrictive than they are now, there are so many guns out there that anyone with the funds to buy one can get one. Expecting people to voluntarily give them up will never happen, nor will punishing people for owning one ever happen thanks to the Second Amendment.

In this case, with the text's references to his therapist, it looks like the potential shooter was mentally unstable and in need of psychiatric help.

You're probably right. The US is the only country with this shooting problem, even among countries where it's easy enough to get a gun. The problem's likely actually how sensationalist US media is and how they make such a big deal of the perpertrators. They want the instant fame, they don't care what they're remembered for as long as they are.

But you know what WILL stop these shootings from occuring, quickly and easily? Gun control. Coming from a country where you need a license to own a gun, and as a result, we haven't had a school shooting since '96 (which resulted in the ban of handguns), and on the rare occasion someone does get shot, the culprit's name isn't in neon lights. I personally have no reason to own a gun, and I'm glad that my inability to go a corner shop and buy one stops mass shootings.

On topic: I'm pretty sure I've seen this guy before about this very topic...
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Actually on a more serious note... I'll ask the Mods why they are posting this guys picture at all? One of the reasons why Mass Shootings keep happening is the instant fame that the Media grants them. Doing this continues this cycle.. and while he hasn't done anything at this point... I see no reason to grant this guy his 15 min of fame.

This is a fair question. I chose to include his picture because police did not confirm that he was arrested or contacted in anyway. I felt it was a matter of public safety for attendees to be aware of what this person looks like so they can contact AX staff or other authorities if they see him near the convention.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
MsVitchDaSecond wrote:
All the more reason why the US needs gun control.
No wonder why there are soo many shootings there

Nope, it's more like we need to bring back asylums for the violently mentally ill. However, we won't get this from either Dems or the GOP due to all of the tribalism and tyranny they both push.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Are you f*cking serious?! I’ve been going to Anime Expo uninterrupted since 2011and I’m am excited to be back this year and some crazy person is threatening harm on others?! That’s sad, we can wven enjoy what we like q/on the worry of not making it back home, but let’s stay positive.
I gotta admit though, I’m surprised it hadn’t happened before (or maybe it was just not made public), with the way things have been going in recent times.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
This guy looks like he came from the 1980's. I hope the police gets him before he executes his plans. I wish everyone at the Anime Expo to stay safe.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Looks like he is a "I word".

I hope you stay safe guys. Salutes from South America!
Angel Investor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
"fudge anime. It's for kids who don't know how to grow up."

Says the edgelord with eyeliner who throws a tantrum about other people's hobbies. What an absolute tool.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:53 pm Reply with quote
What I don't understand is that they have the guys name and face. Cant they use this info to contact the LA police department to have armed security at the event?
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
What I don't understand is that they have the guys name and face. Cant they use this info to contact the LA police department to have armed security at the event?

From the article, AX staff have reported it to the LAPD. But to have even plain-clothes officers at the event, AX would have to pay for that, and it can cost a pretty penny, that AX may or may not be able to afford, especially for a vague threat that a) was not even directed at them, b) may or may not be physically possible to pull off (as was stated above, there's no information on if he has access to weapons or not), and c) may or may not even be serious.

I agree that the information needs to be out there, and needed to be reported to the PD, but unless there's a more concrete threat against the con, I think everyone needs to be aware, and staff need training on what to do if an incident does occur, but people shouldn't get paranoid that it will happen.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:

That, or can't they just look for the guy instead and give him a warrant anyways, better to be safe though.

But yeah, its best to have the tightest security possible, and this time, hopefully their metal detectors actually work, unlike last year.
M1Awesome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
First of all let me say that I have been going to the anime expo since 2003. I love it and I also know that 95% of all that go (except for some not-so-nice-people) are good fun people that would never harm another otaku or anime lover. That being said, I own (a lot) of firearms, and I'm a proud NRA member. I have been shooting every paycheck since April 20, 1999. Why? On that day columbine happened. I decided I would never be a victim. There are close to 121 million gun owners in the U.S. that go to the range every week, I don't hear about them killing anyone. America has cultural rot setting in. Most people learn about guns from a tv or game, not a moral or reliable source. Which brings me to the scumbag who wants to destroy one of my favorite annual vacations. Kalifornia has super strict gun laws, the SPJA has even stricter laws not even allowing pepper spray (non lethal) or a sword that looks too dangerous. This guarantees that everyone following these policies cannot defend against a firearm. What about safe spaces? An area where people feel they're being victimized or just want to relax. A person with a predator mind set who hates anime lovers views these people as weak willed. Do you think the grizzly bear goes after the unlucky deer or the weakest one? Let's also not forget that the expo is largely populated, which is why he probably chose it. Law enforcement was notified, but the man hasn't even been contacted or apprehended. Just like isla vista. If I were attendees, artists, or anyone else I would recommend body armor this weekend. If not, than stay safe everyone and I'll pray to God for a safe weekend.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
My gawd. Now things will be ramped up here. And we got more conventions coming.
Kyon27

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
neozxtc wrote:
lol are you serious? Do you even own and or fired a gun? If not then your opinion is moot.

This is a fallacy known as an appeal to authority. One does not need to be a part of a group (in this case, gun owners) to have an informed opinion about said group. Full disclosure about myself, though: I own several guns, and I am 100% in favor of more and better gun control legislation.

neozxtc wrote:
One most weapons that commit crimes are stolen.

One: Cite a source for this, please. Two: If proper gun control reduces the number of legal guns, would there not be fewer to steal?

neozxtc wrote:
Two, most are done with handgun and not those scary semi auto rifles.

I'm not sure what point you're making here, as nobody brought up semi-automatic rifles, scary or otherwise. (unless I missed it. I did skim through some posts)

neozxtc wrote:
Three, we do have gun laws. Cali and Chicago has the worst gun laws in the country but you know that is stopping all the gun crime huh?

This is a very good point, and indicative of one of the real problems: stratification of regulations pertaining to guns. I believe the federal government needs to overhaul gun legislation at the national level so we have laws that are universal from state to state. Otherwise, while it may be more difficult to obtain a firearm in Chicago, one could simply get one from out of town and bring it back.

neozxtc wrote:
Also you'll be surprised how many of those on the Right not only enjoy guns but anime as well.

Given the prevalence of anime girl avatars in the alt-right and incel communities on social media, I doubt there are as many surprised people as you seem to think.
noobiesnack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Kyon27 wrote:
neozxtc wrote:
lol are you serious? Do you even own and or fired a gun? If not then your opinion is moot.

This is a fallacy known as an appeal to authority. One does not need to be a part of a group (in this case, gun owners) to have an informed opinion about said group. Full disclosure about myself, though: I own several guns, and I am 100% in favor of more and better gun control legislation.

neozxtc wrote:
One most weapons that commit crimes are stolen.

One: Cite a source for this, please. Two: If proper gun control reduces the number of legal guns, would there not be fewer to steal?

neozxtc wrote:
Two, most are done with handgun and not those scary semi auto rifles.

I'm not sure what point you're making here, as nobody brought up semi-automatic rifles, scary or otherwise. (unless I missed it. I did skim through some posts)

neozxtc wrote:
Three, we do have gun laws. Cali and Chicago has the worst gun laws in the country but you know that is stopping all the gun crime huh?

This is a very good point, and indicative of one of the real problems: stratification of regulations pertaining to guns. I believe the federal government needs to overhaul gun legislation at the national level so we have laws that are universal from state to state. Otherwise, while it may be more difficult to obtain a firearm in Chicago, one could simply get one from out of town and bring it back.

neozxtc wrote:
Also you'll be surprised how many of those on the Right not only enjoy guns but anime as well.

Given the prevalence of anime girl avatars in the alt-right and incel communities on social media, I doubt there are as many surprised people as you seem to think.

oh Why not. I will bite.

http://www.politifact.com/new-york/statements/2018/mar/12/john-faso/do-illegal-gun-owners-commit-most-gun-crime-rep-fa/

as for "If proper gun control reduces the number of legal guns, would there not be fewer to steal?", this is true. However, it also has a tendency to not reduce overall crime and in some cases increases it (opportunistic robberies would increase without the deterrent). There has also not really been any conclusive evidence one way or another that Gun Control would solve the issue in the US. The biggest hurdle being the 2nd Amendment. The next being the mentality of the citizens. Lets face it, US media, including social media, video games, movies, tv shows, and even news networks sensationalize violence. All of these media outlets make money from violence and by spreading it they create more.

I am not saying Ban these things. They just need to actually enforce the rating system. Treat allowing parents to let their children consume media that is not meant for them as child abuse/neglect.

I am not surprised by anything when it comes to anime. I have always been curious though... what are the statistics on political affiliations of anime fans...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5