• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Threatens Shooting at Anime Expo, Authorities Notified

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyon27

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
noobiesnack wrote:

oh Why not. I will bite.

http://www.politifact.com/new-york/statements/2018/mar/12/john-faso/do-illegal-gun-owners-commit-most-gun-crime-rep-fa/

as for "If proper gun control reduces the number of legal guns, would there not be fewer to steal?", this is true. However, it also has a tendency to not reduce overall crime and in some cases increases it (opportunistic robberies would increase without the deterrent). There has also not really been any conclusive evidence one way or another that Gun Control would solve the issue in the US. The biggest hurdle being the 2nd Amendment. The next being the mentality of the citizens. Lets face it, US media, including social media, video games, movies, tv shows, and even news networks sensationalize violence. All of these media outlets make money from violence and by spreading it they create more.

I am not saying Ban these things. They just need to actually enforce the rating system. Treat allowing parents to let their children consume media that is not meant for them as child abuse/neglect.

I am not surprised by anything when it comes to anime. I have always been curious though... what are the statistics on political affiliations of anime fans...

I generally agree with the majority of your post. The only nit I would pick is with the idea that gun ownership is a crime deterrent. To my knowledge, this is not even remotely true.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
noobiesnack wrote:
I am not saying Ban these things. They just need to actually enforce the rating system. Treat allowing parents to let their children consume media that is not meant for them as child abuse/neglect.

I am not surprised by anything when it comes to anime. I have always been curious though... what are the statistics on political affiliations of anime fans...

For another angle, the anime fan community is with its highs and lows, on the internet and offline. Beyond high school, some anime fans aren't all that squeaky clean, and I'm not merely talking about otherkin and furries, or elitists and full on otaku/hikkikomori. Much like any person on the street, there are plenty of bad natured people regardless of what they like. Conventions and clubs gather plenty of great people, but it's a lie to say that there aren't any people who are complete sociopaths who attend.

Within the case of Alonzo, he seems like the kind of guy who went into anime fandom for the conventions to hit on girls, and spent some time on the more iffy and disgusting parts of the internet, including spending time with bitter and nasty people with no other outlet. His behavior also isn't helping either, as he gives me the impression of someone who wasn't raised to be a well behaving and well virtued person either.

Don't go chasing hobbies thinking you'll get a pedestal for it. Alonzo, along with many, many other people and ex anime fans are testament to that.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
There are many people, such as myself, who believe that guns are not the problem

Well, you can believe whatever you want, but there's a strong correlation between gun ownership rates and gun-related deaths, whether you're looking at different countries or just different U.S. states (see charts 5 and 6). Mental illness isn't dealt with very well here, but the same is true in most parts of the world--I'd say the US does a better job than most, especially compared to Japan, where violent crime is virtually nonexistent compared to here--and it's all too often used as a scapegoat when the real problem is radicalization by hate groups, or something similar. Mental illness usually makes people want to hurt themselves, not others.

What's undeniable is that we have an obscene overabundance of guns and, coincidentally, by far the highest rate of gun violence in the "developed" world. If it's easy to do a thing, people will do that thing more often; guns are purpose-built to make killing other people, or yourself, extremely easy, and in most parts of the US it's also pretty trivial to get your hands on one. That's really all there is to it--but fixing this problem, when gun culture is so deeply ingrained that we're practically having an arms race with our own police force, is not going to be simple.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
There are many people, such as myself, who believe that guns are not the problem, but rather that we, as a society, don't address the problems that mental illness can create. Instead of getting help for those that need it, we close mental health facilities and look down on those that need help.

The problem with this though is that people with mental, emotional, or psychological issues are not stopped from getting or keeping their guns. Which becomes a bit of a problem when these same people are the ones killing others and or themselves with these weapons.

M1Awesome wrote:
I don't hear about them killing anyone.

Even accidentally or shooting themselves which while rare is a thing at gun ranges?

M1Awesome wrote:
Kalifornia has super strict gun laws, the SPJA has even stricter laws not even allowing pepper spray (non lethal) or a sword that looks too dangerous. This guarantees that everyone following these policies cannot defend against a firearm.

Pepper Spray nor a sword would stop anyone from getting shot nor does having any and everyone walking around with guns in a public place.

neozxtc wrote:
One most weapons that commit crimes are stolen.

In many mass shootings the guns used were bought and owned by the people that did the crime, same thing with some of these dubious "stand your ground" shootings.

neozxtc wrote:
Cali and Chicago has the worst gun laws in the country

Guns being purchased out of state through straw purchases are why Chicago has so many shootings not the city's own laws on guns.
Cait

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
California has a Red Flag law, and if they're doing their due diligence they will use it to remove any guns from this guy's possession.

Also, the FBI just released a study on mass shooters in the US, which showed quite the opposite of what some the people in this thread are claiming about gun violence in this country. Most mass shooters obtain their guns legally (only 2% didn't). Also, they were shown to not have a long history of mental health issues, rather, they were shown to have a number of "stressors" which sometimes included mental illness, but were not ever the sole factor.
Bugster10

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:31 pm Reply with quote
[deleted]

tl;dr, nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Bugster10 on Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Somebody is going to make a meme out of this.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
Dude needs to put away the 90s clothes and grow up.

Seriously. We don't need another one of those edgy young adults who try too hard.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:26 pm Reply with quote
As a Californian, I personally think that regardless of how strict gun laws are, if someone really wants someone dead, they will find other ways. Heck, a knife is probably a better weapon in a crowd because it makes a lot less noise, and sneaking behind someone isn't exactly hard in such a situation. There's also the tried and true method of private transportation.

I am also baffled at how most shootings in America seem to take place in areas where gun laws are the most strict. If making gun laws even more strict were the right solution, then why don't we hear much from gun lax states? Sure, there's some shootings in those states, but they seem abnormally rare in comparison. While the argument that more strict gun control on the federal level would help things has some merit, that's not really a valid option because of American culture. You're more likely to get a revolution rather than less death from guns.

The core issue is that many Americans instinctively don't trust the government to defend its citizens, at least all of the time. With lax gun laws, even if the police can't help you in certain situations, at least you have some method of self defense. If the police fail to do their job AND you don't have potent enough self defense, then you're probably dead.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
I am also baffled at how most shootings in America seem to take place in areas where gun laws are the most strict.

Yeah, like, why don't you ever hear about a mass shooting in Nevada or something!? You can own a GRENADE LAUNCHER in Nevada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Las_Vegas_shooting

Quote:
The incident is the deadliest mass shooting committed by an individual in the United States.

...Ohhhhhh riiiiiiight...

Okay, sure, but what about Texas???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Texas_tower_shooting

Quote:
The attack is one of the deadliest mass shootings in U.S. history.

Oh yeah... The most famous Pre-Columbine mass shooting in the United States...

Okay, sure but what ELSE can happen in Texas? That was an isolated incident and it was during the 60's no less!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Fort_Hood_shooting

Quote:
It was the deadliest mass shooting on an American military base.

Oh right... Even the Army needed the civilian police to come in to stop that guy no less...

Look, I'm not getting into this actual gun control debate, I'm Canadian, I don't have a horse in this race. However any assertion that more mass shootings happen in states occur in states with strong gun control is not grounded in actual reality.

Last edited by Ashley Hakker on Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Fair warning, guys n' gals: just keep in mind that soapboxing is explicitly not allowed, and some posts in this thread have been pushing that limit.

Guns were never mentioned in the article, so this isn't a place to go off on diatribes about your stance on gun issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ViscontPenRoth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
What is it with this year? Combined with this and Otakon, anime cons need more fear apparently. Stay safe everyone.
hikura

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:05 pm Reply with quote
It isn't just a gun control issue nor is it just a mental health issue.It's both of those and a society issue as a whole that is problem.
There is a great amount of inequality in america.The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.
I hope that person can get help if he needs it.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:41 pm Reply with quote
It is just my luck that I learn of this upon landing in Los Angeles. I like to think the situation can be kept under control in this instance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:43 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
It isn't just a gun control issue nor is it just a mental health issue.It's both of those and a society issue as a whole that is problem.
There is a great amount of inequality in america.The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.
I hope that person can get help if he needs it.

Wealth inequality has nothing to do with most mass shootings as the shooters are already well to do or wealthier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5