• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Threatens Shooting at Anime Expo, Authorities Notified

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:06 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Well, you can believe whatever you want, but there's a strong correlation between gun ownership rates and gun-related deaths, whether you're looking at different countries or just different U.S. states (see charts 5 and 6). Mental illness isn't dealt with very well here, but the same is true in most parts of the world--I'd say the US does a better job than most, especially compared to Japan, where violent crime is virtually nonexistent compared to here--and it's all too often used as a scapegoat when the real problem is radicalization by hate groups, or something similar. Mental illness usually makes people want to hurt themselves, not others..

You clearly have never dealt with anyone who has a mental illness. There are many who have been diagnosed with depression that fantasize about hurting others to reflect the pain that they feel. A lot of people, even those who do not have diagnosed mental health problems feel this way. I work with several of them. Please don’t assume that most people with depression or other mental health issues will behave similarly. They don’t. Even within the autism community, there is a wide spectrum of behaviors that those who have been diagnosed with this condition experience. I’ve met high functioning savants who, at age 6, were able to complete college level calculus courses. And I’ve met the exact opposite as well. There is no “one size fits all” diagnosis.

Anyone with any knowledge of statistics knows that you can make them prove any point you’d like. For ever episode of “Gun owning homeowner killed by thief with own gun”, I can point to another case of someone being rescued from a criminal thanks to a concealed carry passerby.

You can’t compare the US to Japan when it comes to gun statistics. As far as I know, the US is the only first world nation where owning a gun is an actual right that all citizens can enjoy. And unlike Japan, the US has two very porous land borders, meaning that guns can easily flow both in and out of the country. Even if the US government could recover every gun sold in this country, as long as someone is still willing to buy them, guns will flow into the country to meet this demand.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Ok this is weird and I regret not screen shotting the comments and account it was posted on, on IG because it's a pain in the ass to scroll through the anime expo tag, but whenever I would see a post about it on IG, there would be cryptic comments from a random user with no posts. Their username is a bunch of numbers too?? But I've been seeing them comment weird shit like riddles about vapor and water to the "true" answer to the situation. and ...weird languages...kinda creepy. I'm still scared of going to AX this year but I'm still doing it.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
“working on a case”...is he a detective??
Woke Weeb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:05 am Reply with quote
Sending good vibes to everyone attending Anime Expo. Stay safe!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:13 am Reply with quote
And now the authorities have been contacted. Seriously, get some help, kid.
Evaunit02berserk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:26 am Reply with quote
This is so blown out of proportion I cant believe people saw this and thought oh snap! he is going to do the shooting. Read the messages. This moron has a hero complex and the "case" he is working on, in his delusion, is someone going to commit a mass shooting at a con, not him actually committing it or making a threat. Ironically, before this post occurred, there was talk on 4chan cgl about people bringing guns to conventions. The only threat this loser is that he is in a large group type of attendees with a hero complex.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:46 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Even in countries where guns are banned there are still homicide rates that rival American cities.

But even London's annual murder rate was still only half of New York's for the year 2017.
hikura

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:44 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
hikura wrote:
It isn't just a gun control issue nor is it just a mental health issue.It's both of those and a society issue as a whole that is problem.
There is a great amount of inequality in america.The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.
I hope that person can get help if he needs it.

Wealth inequality has nothing to do with most mass shootings as the shooters are already well to do or wealthier.

Really? Okay I will bite. People who don't have equal treatment under today's society equate power with having guns. Look at most mass shootings. Most of them were somehow "outcasts". They were poor and mentally disabled. If thing's including society were on equal footing for them most mass shootings could have been avoided. So again the problem lies society as whole with it's inequality.
anifani

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is a fair question. I chose to include his picture because police did not confirm that he was arrested or contacted in anyway. I felt it was a matter of public safety for attendees to be aware of what this person looks like so they can contact AX staff or other authorities if they see him near the convention.

I realize your reasoning for posting the picture, but you do realize that you are opening yourself up for a liability lawsuit.

Everybody thinks its ok to post someone's picture for the whole World to see... possibly ruining a persons life. The Internet is forever!

I'm sure there a many, many people who make threats when they are angry, but only few who actually carry out what they say. What happened to innocent until proven guilty. The picture should have been shown to the police and the convention staff alone.

continuation of gun control debate removed

Wow.... thanks for letting me vent..... Confused
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Fair warning, guys n' gals: just keep in mind that soapboxing is explicitly not allowed, and some posts in this thread have been pushing that limit.

Guns were never mentioned in the article, so this isn't a place to go off on diatribes about your stance on gun issues.

Indeed. The discussion should be focused on Con Safety and being responsible to notify authorities of possible dangers to the public We live in dangerous times and there are a lot of angry people using extreme violence in their justifications. Like the article does, there was a threat and the police were notified.

Those going to Conventions, stay vigilant with your surroundings and pay attention to where the evacuation routes if an emergency should occur. But focus on having fun!
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Those going to Conventions, stay vigilant with your surroundings and pay attention to where the evacuation routes if an emergency should occur. But focus on having fun!

I've been wanting to go to cons (specifically Anime Detour) in my area for the past several years but I always have work related conferences when they're happening! Evil or Very Mad To add to that, con passes cost a lot, and I don't make very much.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Screw this loser. The cops should stop by his house. You made a threat you should pay the consequences.

I'm going to AX starting tomorrow. Security should've this loser picture at their desk. Nothing should happen but let's not kid ourselves theses losers always post some message/video threats before committing the act. If celebrities can get people arrested for these type of threats then events should be able to do the same.
SENPAI--

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:31 pm Reply with quote
He looks like a anime villain.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:
What I don't understand is that they have the guys name and face. Cant they use this info to contact the LA police department to have armed security at the event?
From the article, AX staff have reported it to the LAPD. But to have even plain-clothes officers at the event, AX would have to pay for that, and it can cost a pretty penny, that AX may or may not be able to afford...
Actually, AX does have security and there are LAPD around too, but if you've never been to AX and seen the mobs of people everywere and noticed how the convention center and especially the exhibit halls is laid out, there is no possible way even an army of security could do as well as everyone attending (or as many people as possible) knowing who to look out for. Although likely he would be outside in the milling crowd and he might even be in cosplay (does the photo count?) only people physically close might be able to detect him.
Key wrote:
This is a fair question. I chose to include his picture because police did not confirm that he was arrested or contacted in anyway. I felt it was a matter of public safety for attendees to be aware of what this person looks like so they can contact AX staff or other authorities if they see him near the convention.
As mentioned, this is a responsible precaution and no one should decry violation of privacy. I am sure you would rather have dumb posters complain than not show it and him doing as he threatened and realize victims could have possibly detected him and avoid harm. As she said, see him and let security/LAPD/AX Staff know. I will be attending and I'm not afraid but I wouldn't shrug his threat off because unlike many "losers" he has already done something, gotten into Ronin Expo last month, which is not far from AX and likely a test for how he will get in. At the very least he is not just talking.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
In all seriousness, how sad and pathetic does your life have to be that you threaten a shooting among a group people for being fans of something you don't like? That's like if I ran around threatening to punch every Star Trek fan at a sci-fi convention because I like Star Wars more (which I don't, but you get the point). This guy needs some serious therapy, and if he ever proves himself a threat, should be locked away from decent, normal people for a long time.

May I also say that I think today's society might have something to do with his behavior. You know? The idea that being "savage" is cool. The idea that doing mean things or saying harsh things is in any way admirable. "Thug life," "Savage," "gangsta," I feel like all these words demonstrate that society, at least internet culture, encourages behavior like this. It's one of the reasons that I like ANN's community. It encourages civilized debate and discussion, not flaming and hate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5