• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AsianCrush to Simulcast Music Girls Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Uh, okay. I thought their Poptepipic stream was a one-off considering the show's unique nature.

Do we really have room for another place to watch simulcasts? For that matter, how will this affect the home video rights? Neutral
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
Uh, okay. I thought their Poptepipic stream was a one-off considering the show's unique nature.

Do we really have room for another place to watch simulcasts? For that matter, how will this affect the home video rights? Neutral

It shouldn't affect home video rights since those are typically treated as separate licenses, and if AsianCrush isn't in the business of selling discs, then they probably aren't interested in spending money to acquire that license.

I do echo your question about yet another streaming service. It seems like various businesses, especially TV networks, want to split things up and keep the subscriptions to themselves, but that narrows how much any of them have to offer, which cuts into the perceived value of the service to customers.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Agree with that, it's already hard enought on the wallet when you have a subscription for every single of one of them, they should understand that spreading the shows even more will only lead to more and more peoples canceling their subscription to start using only fansub
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:

Unless you want to watch every single simulcast, there is nothing to worry about with Cruncyroll's power and virtual monopoly. CR is taking over anime streaming and destroying all potential serious competition; a subscription with CR is all you really need as a fan.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
From what I can tell it seems to use the same model as CR, with a free with ads option as well as an ad free subscription. There does seem to be subscriber only content, and that may extend to simulcasts, but we’ll see. I’m not too worried about it in this case, as this is a show that I’m going to wait to see how the reviews are before trying it, especially with a newer steaming site.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Who the hell is Asian Crush?! Confused

I leave the anime world for a couple of weeks only to keep seeing this name pop up?

I checked their site but again they seemed to come outta nowhere. The game is already crowded as is why bother?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:08 pm Reply with quote
princess passa passa wrote:
Who the hell is Asian Crush?! Confused

I leave the anime world for a couple of weeks only to keep seeing this name pop up?

I checked their site but again they seemed to come outta nowhere. The game is already crowded as is why bother?

Second, why this anime in particular? Few people in the West have seen it when it was a short. I would rather have CR pick this up so it could have a decent chance of gaining some traction. It's not going to gain traction on AsianCrush.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
The AsianCrush website does look a bit questionable at first glance but I was able to watch anime on it easily enough. I notice that all of their anime is listed under the category of action movies so their decision to stream anime seems recent. I do wonder about having another anime streaming service though AsianCrush might just be streaming Music Girls to test out the market.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1