• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maiden Japan Licenses Maria Watches Over Us, Hataraki Man, Basquash!, Yumeiro Pâtissière, Voto

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:18 am Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
Wow as a mecha fan this line up impresses me. I hope for Votoms soon on Hi Dive.

It will, the show was accidentally leaked last week by the HiDive Twitter account as soon to be joining the lineup.

pajmo9 wrote:
I think the only one out of the three that has a Blu-ray release in Japan is Ideon so we'll probably get one for it but the other two will more than likely be DVD only.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhXwkGRWkAA11Qw.jpg:orig

(Source: This Twitter thread, everyone else was at the Viz panel so so we got lucky to have someone at this one)

Half of the Votoms titles have Blu-ray releases so it'll be interesting to see what they do here with those as well as the ones that didn't.

Zalis116 wrote:
I wouldn't say the backlog's broken; they've managed to license or rescue previously unannounced Sunrise titles, but there's still no progress on the 2013 batch, other than Big O.

I wonder if these particular pickups are linked to Daisuki and that there's more coming? Weren't there a few more old Sunrise shows that were streaming there for a bit?
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:25 am Reply with quote
And these titles:

Da Capo (all seasons and OVAs)
Manabi Straight
Minami-ke (all seasons and OVAs)
Seitokai Yakuindomo (All seasons, OVAs, and movie)
They Are My Noble Masters

continue to go unnoticed. :/
Supermutant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:45 am Reply with quote
Votoms finally getting rescued. DVDs long time been hard to get the complete american release. Human Crossing was decent. I'm glad Maria got quickly grabbed back up.
mbanu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:27 am Reply with quote
Hataraki Man is top-notch josei; I hope that it gets wider exposure through this.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:19 am Reply with quote
Whoa! Yumeiro Patissiere is licensed?! Man, I haven't seen that show in YEARS. I really ought to get back to it, and now I have an excuse to do so! Very Happy I am SO buying the DVD sets when it comes out!
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:56 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
It's shoujo-ai without any fanservice for the straight-male crowd, and I feel like the LGBTQ community could rightly criticize it for featuring spoiler[the Schoolgirl Lesbians trope as "practice romance" for later relationships with men, in several cases.]

It seems like it would be, but looking at most of the LGBTQ community's online discourse concerning yuri, Maria-sama ga Miteru tends to get a pass on that.

It might be because it was so formative for the "yuri for actual lesbians" fanbase in the west, or because the vast majority of the depictions of girls going on to marry men occurred within the girls' parents' generation (and thus allowing for the interpretation that "practice romance" was more "the way things regrettably used to be" rather than "the way things inevitably are now" in-universe). It could even be due to the fact that the author eventually spun off all the major male characters into their own light novel series that followed the protagonist's younger brother's own student council adventures at the all-boys school down the road.

Whatever the case, I look forward to inevitably buying this series for the third time, although I doubt I'll ever listen to it in English, for pretty much the same reasons that have been already mentioned in this thread. Laughing

I'm also very excited for some of these giant robot titles.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:16 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

Maiden Japan is basically one of Section 23's (read: Sentai Filmworks) numerous marketing imprints. There's no exact method to what they do or don't put under that label, but it's generally shows that have been out-of-print or totally unlicensed for ages. IIRC one of their first titles under Maiden Japan was Den-noh Coil

I see. If that is the trend with Maiden Japan I wonder if they might license Fullmetal Alchemist as well as FMA Brotherhood down the road along with an anime titled Shugo Chara! by Satelight. Also, this is the first I have heard of the anime Den-no Coil but reading the summery it seems kind if interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:02 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
lossthief wrote:

Maiden Japan is basically one of Section 23's (read: Sentai Filmworks) numerous marketing imprints. There's no exact method to what they do or don't put under that label, but it's generally shows that have been out-of-print or totally unlicensed for ages. IIRC one of their first titles under Maiden Japan was Den-noh Coil

I see. If that is the trend with Maiden Japan I wonder if they might license Fullmetal Alchemist as well as FMA Brotherhood down the road along with an anime titled Shugo Chara! by Satelight. Also, this is the first I have heard of the anime Den-no Coil but reading the summery it seems kind if interesting.

Both FMA series belong Aniplex. No one else will be able to license them. They’ve been slowly taking back any series that Sentai or Funimation licensed from their Japanese parent.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:42 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Both FMA series belong Aniplex. No one else will be able to license them. They’ve been slowly taking back any series that Sentai or Funimation licensed from their Japanese parent.

Oh, really?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:47 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Oh, really?

Yes, it’s the same reason Sentai lost Angel Beats and Funimation has been slowly losing Black Butler, season by season. Aniplex of Japan also hasn’t licensed any shows to another company in a few years, with the exception of the last Black Butler season.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:15 am Reply with quote
Some of those 80s titles could have been Discotek licenses.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:31 am Reply with quote
Man these are some licenses. So Maiden Japan has acquired the license for Marimite from TRSI?

But this line up of old robot shows. So much stuff I doubt my budget will be able to buy it all. LOL. Laughing Laughing Laughing But archiving the older shows are important.

Now I'm waiting for 'Panzer World Galient' (never released) and 'Southern Cross' (which was released some years ago).

Good news to hear.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Yes, it’s the same reason Sentai lost Angel Beats and Funimation has been slowly losing Black Butler, season by season. Aniplex of Japan also hasn’t licensed any shows to another company in a few years, with the exception of the last Black Butler season.

I see.

Last edited by Aquasakura on Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Probably will rebuy Maria-sama on BD. I think I have most of the JP audio dramas on CD.

It was great that the audio dramas had the same cast as the anime.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm stupefied. Human Crossing got re-licensed? ... I've never heard much of any talk about it. It's just so ubiquitously not anime (or at least how anime is generally perceived) that I'm not surprised the singles were sitting in the $2 bargain bin even years after the series went out of print. It's not a bad series, the episodes are hit-and-miss for me, but I have no idea why Maiden Japan would decide to bring over that dead Geneon series.

Not bad at all--I watched the whole series not long ago. Speaking only for myself, I keep a handful of similar series around (Rumiko Takahashi Anthology is another) and give them a good view whenever I'm overdosed on moe, harems, and tsun-/yan- dere types. Kinda like one of those Listerine breath strips...

But overall, I'm quite pleased that old school titles are being made available.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3