• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf to Release Gundam Seed Anime on Blu-ray With Both English Dubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:17 am Reply with quote
A bit of a shame that it's getting recast, I'm actually a big fan of the original cast and dub, but at least they're including the original in there. I would like to see them try to sync it up as best they can, rather than just have a separate disc featuring the non-remastered version and the original dub.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:39 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why people think having a weird mish mash of English and Japanese audio for extended scenes in an English dub is a practical solution. To the best of my knowledge, no dub has ever done this and I would think I was watching a bad fandub if they did. The closest I can think of is the NIS release of Cardcaptor Sakura kept a scene that was deleted in the Animax dub in silence which only underscored how bad and unprofessional the Animax dub was.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:27 am Reply with quote
Thank God the old dub for SEED is included! I'll even get the most expensive edition as a sign of goodwill towards their decision to respect the fans who grew up with the old dub.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:51 am Reply with quote
The old dub! YES! Rau without Mark Oliver will just never be the same. Episode 43 is still my favorite performance of all time.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm not sure why people think having a weird mish mash of English and Japanese audio for extended scenes in an English dub is a practical solution. To the best of my knowledge, no dub has ever done this and I would think I was watching a bad fandub if they did. The closest I can think of is the NIS release of Cardcaptor Sakura kept a scene that was deleted in the Animax dub in silence which only underscored how bad and unprofessional the Animax dub was.

The Stars series did it. Every time someone would start to speak in a made-up language it would switch to the Japanese audio. Not only was it suddenly a different voice actor but the audio quality wasn't even the same. It was a very jarring. It would be nice if those get redubbed if FUNimation ever releases them but I doubt that will ever happen.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

It's not common in English releases, but I believe this is a relatively common tactic in France to get around dubs that don't match the Japanese version.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
Again I hope these new Ultra editions aren't giant take up half a shelf by themselves boxes like the Wing one was. But you better believe that I'm getting two out of three of these even if they are. G Gundam is THE best TV series entry of the franchise and I have been chomping at the bit for it's blu-ray release for years and Gundam Seed is in the top five as well. (Seed Destiny on the other hand I can gladly do without.)

Last edited by Zeino on Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
peno

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

While it's true I don't know of any anime which did this, I saw this approach in non-anime titles and I think it worked quite well in the end, even though it felt a little weird. My country's DVD of The Independent Day did that for Czech dub, where instead of doing new dub for the extended cut, they simply kept the old dub and the new scenes are in English with Czech subtitles. While the switching sounds weird, IMO it was the best approach, because the old dub is quite popular (and really well done, BTW) and trying to get the old VAs wouldn't be easy. And in some cases, it would be totally impossible, like in the case of Judd Hirsh's VA, who in the meantime, lost his voice and stopped voice acting. And I rather not talk about children roles, which were voiced by real children and you probably can imagine what that means. The way they did it, it was pretty good compromise, IMO, where people got the popular dub and still were able to see the new scenes, albeit subbed. I think this could work for Seed as well.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

There are a few others:

-Fatal Fury 2 had the Joe Vs. Big Bear fight that was exclusive to the Japanese home video release and for some reason, Viz never had this scene dubbed so it was released as an easter egg on their Double Impact DVD and Discotek's DVD re-release kept it in the main video.where it plays in Japanese with subs.

-Ranma ½ had segments after the show's third opening that for some reason was never dubbed back in the day so for the Blu-ray (& DVD re-release), Viz had it play in Japanese with subs and like CCS, has a disclaimer.

-The Chinese live-action film Burning Paradise had an edited English dub so for the undubbed portions, Discotek mixed in the Cantonese audio with subs for that release.

There are other examples as well but for stuff like next episode previews that were originally missing here (see Fist of the North Star, Tekkaman Blade II, Magic Knight Rayearth, one of Utena's previews, etc).
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:16 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Seif wrote:
Seed had two dubs?

The newest Japanese Blurays made a fair number of changes / additions. Trying to sync up the old English dub to the current version of the show results in some problems, and a decision was made to record a brand new dub instead of trying to get all of the original English voice actors back to record the changed material.

its not that. its that ocean studios aka the ocean group no longer does dubbing for any anime series (the last one was inuyasha: the final act & black lagoon: roberta's blood trail)! Hell, most of the VA's from the ocean group have pretty much retired from dubbing anime completely. especially especially ocean veterans like matt hill (kira's VA) and kirby morrow (rey's VA)

its not like they can get an old VA from the past to reprise their role ala tenchi muyo. it rarely happens! regardless, it still doesnt make sense to even use a new dub for seed and seed destiny.

even if it was to dub those new lines and to prevent dub syncing problem with them, it pretty much don't make sense money and financial wise!

i mean if the ENTIRE ocean group dub was atrocious, then i could understand, but the ocean group's dub was great in those days!

it would have made more sense if they had use this new cast to dub other gundam series like Reconguista in G, build fighters, build fighters try or the fan favorite turn a gundam instead of giving seed and seed destiny a new dub!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
its not that. its that ocean studios aka the ocean group no longer does dubbing for any anime series (the last one was inuyasha: the final act & black lagoon: roberta's blood trail)! Hell, most of the VA's from the ocean group have pretty much retired from dubbing anime completely. especially especially ocean veterans like matt hill (kira's VA) and kirby morrow (rey's VA)

None of that is true.

Ocean still works on anime. Publicly, they've been doing the Beyblade Burst dub, which has Matt Hill in a very prominent role. That is ongoing, with the third season expected to drop in the fall. Within the last two or so years, they dubbed the third season of Gintama, World Trigger and a trilogy of Sinbad anime films. Their Calgary studio continues to work on the Bushiroad TCG shows (Cardfight Vanguard and Future Buddyfight) and also did Kiznaiver in conjunction with a few Vancouver actors.

I'm not sure why Sunrise didn't have Ocean do pickups for the changed segments. Maybe the individual audio stems no longer existed for that to be an option? The reason behind the complete recast is very apparent: they're just cheap. The inclusion of the original on this set confirms Sunrise has no problem with the first voice cast (see what happened to the dubs of the 0079 movie trilogy and ZZ for things Sunrise dislikes) and AFAIK, none of the post-BEI Gundam dubs have been union productions. That explains why Trevor Devall isn't Mu in the re-dub, despite being an LA resident for years.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:59 am Reply with quote
I was never a big fan of Ocean's work on Gundam, but I can understand that nostalgia is a strong thing and definitely a big driving force to buy these new sets for some people.

That said, the new dub is done by NYAV post, who have been responsible for the absolutely fantastic dubs for Unicorn, Thunderbolt and Origin, and the cast looks impressive (especially Kevin T. Collins as Rau), so I'm super excited for it! I've only seen Seed all the way through in Japanese, so I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the brilliant work they've done for the new dub!
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:10 am Reply with quote
well give at least still heard of originals dubs yet re-release give those consider 14 years already that next year be 15th.

besides yet seen this re-dub give still mix-feel cause still lean on originals dub side i know can't resist hearing Chantal Strand version of Lacus.

& give some of those canada voices still active just other things especially MLP & others yet anime dubbing been like random appear.

overall yet why could just have been mix originals voices & re-dubs together to get along?
peno

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:25 am Reply with quote
@KLAC
Sorry man, but I don't understand half of what you're trying to write. Would it be too hard for you to rewrite your post in proper English? I could understand if English is not your native language, but the same goes for me, so I have quite a difficulty with your language.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote
NOGI48 wrote:
G Gundam for the WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, anytime I went to the Right Stuf panel at my local convention, I spent the whole Gundam section of their presentation wondering about G Gundam. It always struck me as odd that they seemed to be in no rush to get to that one despite it being on TV here. Then again, if Funimation and Sentai's license rescues are anything to go by, Sunrise feels no need to be quick about providing materials.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3