• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2018 News Roundup: Day Zero, One, Two Headlines

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So we're back to people not being able to join the discussion until they've finished the series, by which time it may be too late, since half the people discussing it have moved on. So a good portion of people who might otherwise have been an active part of a discussion end up being passive readers of a discussion that mostly already happened.

But then, sorry for repeating myself, if those TV series only value was in direct interactive discussion, why not focusing their attention on shows whose values resides in their story, cinematography, any element actually making the anime? This sounds almost like those series were not worth anyone's time.
(by the way, how can you discuss the kind of shows that Japan is delivering every year like a factory? Almost none of them is exploring themes leading to debates or anything else apart from "I like this character", "no, this one was better", "this minute was great", etc. Not every series is based on suspense à la "24" or mystery like long investigation shows)

I watched Taken (one of the few great US TV shows) when it was first broadcasted (subbed) in France and I was alone in front of my TV. My parents who were interested watched it on their own later when it was dubbed. And the three of us liked it, with no discussion AT ALL going on between us. This never negated any intrinsic quality of the series. (same thing with multiple other examples)

PS: re-reading myself, I realize that this kind of crosses the "spoiler culture" that developed among internet people a few years ago. Where everyone who is part of this way of thinking acts like everything he is watching/reading relies on suspense to an extreme point.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So we're back to people not being able to join the discussion until they've finished the series, by which time it may be too late, since half the people discussing it have moved on. So a good portion of people who might otherwise have been an active part of a discussion end up being passive readers of a discussion that mostly already happened.

But then, sorry for repeating myself, if those TV series only value was in direct interactive discussion, why not focusing their attention on shows whose values resides in their story, cinematography, any element actually making the anime? This sounds almost like those series were not worth anyone's time.
(by the way, how can you discuss the kind of shows that Japan is delivering every year like a factory? Almost none of them is exploring themes leading to debates or anything else apart from "I like this character", "no, this one was better", "this minute was great", etc. Not every series is based on suspense à la "24" or mystery like long investigation shows)

I watched Taken (one of the few great US TV shows) when it was first broadcasted (subbed) in France and I was alone in front of my TV. My parents who were interested watched it on their own later when it was dubbed. And the three of us liked it, with no discussion AT ALL going on between us. This never negated any intrinsic quality of the series. (same thing with multiple other examples)

PS: re-reading myself, I realize that this kind of crosses the "spoiler culture" that developed among internet people a few years ago. Where everyone who is part of this way of thinking acts like everything he is watching/reading relies on suspense to an extreme point.

But what's the point of anything if you can't tell people on the internet what you thought about it? & what's the point of telling people what you thought about something if you think they won't care? & if other people don't care, then why do I care? & if I don't care, then why do I keep doing it? Validate me!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:20 pm Reply with quote
It's not about validation, nor is it about the intrinsic value of the work. People are social animals on the whole, and like to share their experiences, both good and bad, with each other. If you want to snidely reduce that to egotistically seeking validation, I'm probably not going to convince you otherwise, but I think it's a pretty universal aspect of being human.

Lots of good series get overlooked by the hype machine, even among simulcasts. When word of mouth is smothered in the cradle by seasonal dumps with little to no advertising, really good series like The Great Passage never get found by those who might well enjoy them alone in front of their tv (which is how most people watch any tv these days). Because of the sheer volume of things vying for our attention, series, even great ones, need a chance to make an impression, which they don't get when they don't get ongoing discussions putting their name out there and showing that other people have found it worth their time.

I know ANN isn't the only discussion forum by a long shot, but just look at the difference in traffic and comments between series that get a weekly review and those that don't. Heck, just look at the difference between the discussion threads vs the review threads for the same series - lacking the weekly prompt of the review with its thumbnail on the front page, the discussion thread can languish for weeks without a new post.

Again, I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind, and certainly can't change Netflix's business model, so that's pretty much my two cents.
Slashman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

But what's the point of anything if you can't tell people on the internet what you thought about it?

This right here is the sum total of what all the fuss is about.

Quote:
Validate me!

Enjoying something on one's own without folks to say you're OK for enjoying it is apparently some kind of horrid social disease. Ironically it is one I want to never cure myself of.

I hear the same arguments when a new game gets announced and its not multiplayer.

"No multiplayer or co-op? Your game is dead in a month or two you crappy developer!!!"
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:

But what's the point of anything if you can't tell people on the internet what you thought about it?

This right here is the sum total of what all the fuss is about.

Quote:
Validate me!

Enjoying something on one's own without folks to say you're OK for enjoying it is apparently some kind of horrid social disease. Ironically it is one I want to never cure myself of.

I hear the same arguments when a new game gets announced and its not multiplayer.

"No multiplayer or co-op? Your game is dead in a month or two you crappy developer!!!"

Or maybe people enjoy things differently than you, and that doesn't give you the right to be condescending and dismissive, nor to project on othe people. Just an idea.

In my case, by the way, you've got it completely wrong. I don't need company for enjoying my hobbies - I don't discuss anime often online (unless I'm very much into it and/or other people's opinions seem to offer a chance for interesting discussion) and for that matter I prefer to play games, go to the movies, etc. on my own. Yes, sometimes when I really like something it's nice to share that love with like-minded people, but it's not something that I require. (Also, I watch anime in Japanese so I'm not particularly affected by Netflix's release model as long as the show is also airing/streaming in Japan.)

Thing is, though, I grew up with serialized TV, and as someone who's been watching with anime for over two decades I've grown accustomed to having one episode per week. It's a nice rhythm, and a nice addition to my weekly Things To Do list. I like having something to look forward to at the end of, say, Monday, or Wednesday, be it anime or a live action series or a sports event or whatever. And if I have the entirety of a show ready to be watched I have a difficult time pacing it, and I'm a lot less likely to muster up the energy to dive into it. I'm not always in the mood for it, or when I am I don't always have the time to watch more than an episode. 1 episode/week is usually perfect for my needs.

Also, the shows themselves were created with a weekly release in mind. That's why they have cliffhangers (which are a lot less effective if the viewer just continues to the resolution), post-episode stingers, etc. When a serialized story is developed for weekly release it tends to have a certain flow that doesn't work all that well when you're watching the whole thing in much larger chunks. At least for me.

If your way of consuming your entertainment is different then that's cool, whatever floats your boat. As Gina above I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, and I definitely don't have any sway over Netflix. But just because something works for you doesn't mean it's the only way.

And regardless of individual preferences I think shows airing on Netflix are disadvantaged because of this business model. Because like it or not, hype is created by people talking about the show, not by ANN running one or two features about it. And when there's no discussion there's no hype. Anime fandom as a whole has a viewing model that it, again, on general, clearly prefers. That's the entire reason why we even have simulcasts, because people wanted to see series as soon as they came out and not whenever the US licenser decided to release them. (And for what it's worth, this model is bringing back fansubs. Most Netflix shows that aren't currently available legally are available fansubbed.)
Slashman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

In my case, by the way, you've got it completely wrong.

Really? Because for someone with no cart in the race (so to speak) due to all your advantages and ability to go with whatever flow, you sure have a lot of text to write on the subject.

Quote:
(And for what it's worth, this model is bringing back fansubs. Most Netflix shows that aren't currently available legally are available fansubbed.)

If you think fansubs are somehow returning to their former glory because Netflix does bulk releases, you may need to look again. Fansubs groups are subbing less shows and shutting down left, right and center. Netflix is not changing that.

And you are surely right, Netflix is most certainly dooming itself by releasing shows in the format it does. I'm sure it will all come crashing down soon.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:15 am Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
Really? Because for someone with no cart in the race (so to speak) due to all your advantages and ability to go with whatever flow, you sure have a lot of text to write on the subject.

I could have used fewer words, but what can I say, I talk a lot. It's a character flaw. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And if you're so interested in hearing more...

Slashman wrote:
If you think fansubs are somehow returning to their former glory because Netflix does bulk releases, you may need to look again. Fansubs groups are subbing less shows and shutting down left, right and center. Netflix is not changing that.

No, I'm not thinking that, and I never said I did. Again, you're projecting something into my words that I never said. All I said was that series that wouldn't normally get fansubbed due to being simulcast are getting fansubbed because people want to see them now, not whenever Netflix decides to release them.
Slashman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:09 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

No, I'm not thinking that, and I never said I did. Again, you're projecting something into my words that I never said. All I said was that series that wouldn't normally get fansubbed due to being simulcast are getting fansubbed because people want to see them now, not whenever Netflix decides to release them.

And you're absolutely positive that those shows aren't getting subbed because some fansubbers simply like the shows and wanted to do them?

In any case. The main point I'm making here is that Reddit and whatever online discussion groups you want to point to are NOT the entirety of anime fandom. Their watching habits are not indicative of every anime fan and I'm not even sure they are indicative of MOST anime fans.

I have a circle of friends who are all into anime and they all enjoy binge watching. In fact, several of them won't watch a weekly show and will simply wait til it's done and watch all the episodes then. Some, (like myself) will happily wait til a blu ray is available if there is censored content or extra scenes to avoid watching a show over.

So unless you've done an exhaustive study and have some concrete numbers to present, about all you can say is that people who like to talk about anime on a week by week basis don't like the Netflix formula. You or anyone else are in no position to say that the anime community on a whole is being negatively affected by bulk episode releases instead of simulcasts.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:46 am Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
And you're absolutely positive that those shows aren't getting subbed because some fansubbers simply like the shows and wanted to do them?

You just talked about how fansubbing is dead and groups are shutting down, do you think this is the kind of environment where you start subbing licensed shows that are going to be released with official subs in twelve weeks or so anyway, because you like them? Really?

Slashman wrote:
I have a circle of friends who are all into anime and they all enjoy binge watching. ...

That's awesome, but you know what, aside of online discussion groups, is also not indicative of every anime fan or even MOST anime fans? Your circle of friends.

The fact is that there's a reason we have simulcasts in the first place, and it's the industry recognizing the fact that anime fandom in general (as I pointed out over and over before, I'm talking in general terms) wants to see episodes as fast as possible. Even a few years ago when there were only a few days between an episode airing and the release of the official English version, there were people fansubbing the episodes and people watching those instead of waiting two days or so for the official versions. And you know, you may not agree with that, but personally I also don't see the point of an audience having to wait for months to watch something for no good reason (because "Netflix's business model is binge watching" is not a good reason).

I mean really, it's 2018 and we're going back to when the only way to watch subbed anime was to wait for months until the publisher decided to release it in bulks? And at least back then they were physical releases that needed extra work to be done. Now it's mainly just the translation, and applying the subs which doesn't take that long a time.

Slashman wrote:
So unless you've done an exhaustive study and have some concrete numbers to present, about all you can say is that people who like to talk about anime on a week by week basis don't like the Netflix formula. You or anyone else are in no position to say that the anime community on a whole is being negatively affected by bulk episode releases instead of simulcasts.

I'm not entirely sure where you missed that I wasn't speaking in general terms and not for the anime community "on a whole", considering how I kept adding "for me" and "in general" and whatnot. Anyway, Gina Szanboti and I have already explained how this affects the community negatively so I'm not going to waste my breath reiterating the same points.

Look, I told you, I'm not here to change your mind or whatever. If you prefer to binge watch and not talk about it to anyone then do that. But don't try to invalidate other people's way of enjoying their hobby. If someone's way of enjoying something is going online and talking about it then that's how they do it and it's not any better or worse than what you (or I) do.
Slashman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

You just talked about how fansubbing is dead and groups are shutting down, do you think this is the kind of environment where you start subbing licensed shows that are going to be released with official subs in twelve weeks or so anyway, because you like them? Really?

And yet that is exactly what happened with one fansub group that was all but dead wrt to Fate Apocrypha. They love Fate stuff and decided to sub it. Nothing to do with Netflix.

But you know what? If it is as you say, and fansubbers are crawling out of the cracks to correct the Netflix method of release, then folks should be satisfied either way because there is still a method to enjoy the anime sooner rather than later.

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure where you missed that I wasn't speaking in general terms and not for the anime community "on a whole", considering how I kept adding "for me" and "in general" and whatnot. Anyway, Gina Szanboti and I have already explained how this affects the community negatively so I'm not going to waste my breath reiterating the same points.

Well it's great if you're not speaking in general terms and it doesn't affect the anime community as a whole, I'd love for people to stop posting the equivalent of "OMG Netflix is killing anime!!" As if that were applying universally to all anime fans.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Look, I told you, I'm not here to change your mind or whatever. If you prefer to binge watch and not talk about it to anyone then do that. But don't try to invalidate other people's way of enjoying their hobby. If someone's way of enjoying something is going online and talking about it then that's how they do it and it's not any better or worse than what you (or I) do.

Based on what I'm reading, Slashman's circle likes to talk about these anime after they're done binge-watching between each other. That means they binge-watch at roughly the same time and hold their discussion until they're all ready.

I know for sure these circles exist because one such circle occurred among some of my co-workers in a previous job I had, though for American television. They wouldn't watch a show until its final episode had aired, then they'd watch the whole thing and discuss it among each other. The exceptions would be shows like Game of Thrones and Robot Chicken which are ongoing and have far too many seasons to watch all at once.
Slashman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
sea dragon has the right of it.

But even more so for me, with so many anime airing each season and me wanting to watch so many of them, lots of the time I just don't have the time each week to watch every episode as it airs or as it releases.

If anime isn't your only hobby and/or you work a job with long or irregular hours or you're studying along with work, there is a very high chance you're not getting to watch every episode as it airs. Not all anime fans have infinite time on their hands. Sometimes even the people I know who do weekly episodes will say they missed a week or two and will catch up at some point later when time allows.

Hell even two of the most ardent One Piece fans I know will often tell me they will let 20 or so episodes build up and then watch so that they can watch an arc at a time without getting stuck on cliffhangers.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:04 am Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
SHD wrote:

While fan subs have seen a lot of decrease, I would imagine some sub groups will want to sub a show they like, even if there is an official subbed version already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3