• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Phantom in the Twilight (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:40 am Reply with quote
The show is mostly pretty good, but I do want to see that smarmy hacker character have his faced punched in, I just really hate that archetype. Maybe a little irrational on my part. Distinctively different Wayne, which I would also normally dislike, but he comes across indearing, added that even the secret evil side can also make the character also annoying to me, but works as him being the strongest member of the team. Works that it does not feel like his childish side is a crutch for what he is. Especially noteworthy is I think when he is in the system and we see his lifeless mannequin body nearby.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Have to say that I liked the twist where it turned from a Hellsing saving Backup, into Backup also getting hit because of Hellsing running at him. The Hellsing character has been an odd reversal of tropes, the big villain, who thinks himself a hero, but generally a poser relying on someone else.

Would also that it would be really personal with Vlad after pulling the fake Rijan thing.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:52 am Reply with quote
This was the first time i felt like i was watching a standard reverse harem series with Ton not being allowed to fight and showing random jealousy over Vlad's feelings for her dead grandma...still, the preview gives me hope that the show will go out in style.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
^ Well, at least she wanted to, whereas usually the heroine just meekly goes with whatever the boys dictate. And the reason was well-established instead of being made up on the fly to keep her out of the fray and let them show off.

Last week we got a smile out of Vlad and this week full-blown laughter? Smile Actually, I got a chuckle out of the framing of that, with his open mouth in the corner of the screen snapping shut the second Van Helsing's name is mentioned. I also enjoyed his rationale for arriving by boat.

Isn't (Eye of the) Midnight Sun also the antagonist group of Black Clover?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:12 am Reply with quote
There's something kind of wrong when the main villain is easier on the eyes than the main hero. Heishin definitely had the best character design out of everyone, at least until he turned old, which made his haircut look kinda stupid. Smile Gotta be eternally youngish to rock that look, and he's already walking a tightrope with the monocle.

Everybody got to do something in the finale, and as predicted, Chris returned, and Ton kicked some shadow ass, so good deal. I'm not sure I got what was up with the little girl being her "other self"? Ton's other self or Raijin's?
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:53 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
There's something kind of wrong when the main villain is easier on the eyes than the main hero.

Well, he worked damn hard for his looks by killing his entire family and stuff...Wink

Quote:
I'm not sure I got what was up with the little girl being her "other self"? Ton's other self or Raijin's?

This confused me as well. She's probably supoosed to be Raijin's reincarnation, but i always though that was Ton?! And did she kill Heishin?

That aside, nice ending. Ton got to kick some ass, we got to see a little bit of evil!Wayne, Redhead Wolfie is back and almost everybody else made it out alive as well. I wouldn't even mind another season and i rarely say that about this type of show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:19 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
This confused me as well. She's probably supoosed to be Raijin's reincarnation, but i always though that was Ton?! And did she kill Heishin?

Yeah, there was a lot more slicing going on than necessary to kill him so I think she minced him pretty thoroughly. Since there didn't seem to be a body, she probably fed him to the fishes.

I guess it makes the most sense that she was Raijin, since Heishin recognized her, and her comment still makes sense that way. But there was like no explanation or clue that I could see to explain her existence. So I thought it might be Ton being psychically split somehow or something. I guess we do need another season. Smile

Did Chris just take off to see the world instead of touring London with Shinyao like they promised? Jerk.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

As soon as the villain ran away and saw a little girl, my assumption was that she is Raijin. Supposedly Raijin went away and became a monster, so she should be still alive, in a sense. Perhaps Ton as a human descendant did inherit part of her spirit or something, but as far as we know Raijin did not outright die, although perhaps she is somewhat fractured, like got stuck as a kid, so her leaving was to stop the group worrying about seeing her in the fractured state. Was nice to see that everything ended up happy, Ton and Shinyao managing to live their college life. When watching the ending, I was suspecting that she just has college so she can't be there all the time.

Fill my heart with joy, that Vlad get upset at her for being 20 minutes late and Ton can handle herself in getting mad of it being out of her control. I have said it plenty already, but I do have a strong dislike for female characters that just become punching bags, or really have no real agency and active part. Ton totally had agency, and I would say a fire to at least face up against such thing as what a lady should do. And the boys actually give of this feeling that they respect her as a person, on top of any wanting to protect her. Those things should not sound like they are a big deal, but reverse harems are filled with things that are incredibly unhealthy, in a way that feels sexist despite that females are the target demographic. A genre filled personality lacking girls that lack any real traits, and mostly get protected by their suitors. Sure Ton gets protected a number of times, but she actively hates if she cannot do the same, and not just some team manager thing where makes tea or something. It is 21st century, being lady like is not the be all and end all.

The final episode lacked it, but I have also been quite fond of the end slates of the episodes, where we got characters in chibi forms explaining things, but often ending up more humorous. Usually I might find such a thing cringe inducing, yet this worked. Particularly liked how they poked fun at how things in the show worked, and covering up by saying everything hard to explain is just magic. I enjoyed a little bit of the world building, although I think it also has quite a few holes, like what is happening with all other places and those also on their side other than the main boys. The scope was fine for this, but I can see a lot to return with if they decide anything.

I give this show a rating of Good (7/10), it is worth seeing.

Quote:

Did Chris just take off to see the world instead of touring London with Shinyao like they promised? Jerk.

Well she has school, it would be irresponsible to take her. Also, it could possibly look like more kidnapping.
Zunda-mochi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:10 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I wouldn't even mind another season and i rarely say that about this type of show.

I would also love another season of this show too, except since the Blu-Ray DVDs preorders have been canceled (not sure if the regular DVDs will still sell for us PhanTwi fans), it's highly unlikely a second season will be greenlit unless anyone can tell the people at the site's official twitter or something that we want more of this somehow.

Quote:

I'd like to think that maybe he did that with her off-screen after the final battle mess. And then after finishing that up, is when he took off to see the world.

Anyways, I REALLY loved this show mainly for Ton, especially that last episode of her fighting, I was just blown away because you NEVER see a female character fight it out fiercely and on par with a lot of the guy protagonists in shonen anime/manga series (with the exception of Avatar the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra obviously, but I'm talking about Japan's shows mainly). Especially in an otome anime, where a lot of the women protagonists don't fight back at all. As well as she's a Chinese protagonist too which I think is something I rarely see in anime in Japan (though I think it might have something to do with a lot of Chinese and Japanese entertainment collaborations becoming frequent).
I have to admit, the guys don't interest me as much (except for Tauryu because a guy that wields huge machine guns out of nowhere with a dead-pan face gets a lot of points out of me) but I think I felt like we didn't get too much in-depth with them. Since there was a manga out before the anime, I might check that out just to fill in the void from the anime.

It really is a shame that the Blu-Rays for this were cancelled, but for some odd reason I heard that the collaboration cafe for it is doing well, apparently.
Ionela Dlk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:50 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

Phantom in the Twilight (TV)

Genres: Supernatural
Themes:

Plot Summary:
Quote:
In London is "Café Forbidden," a mysterious café that only opens at night. Bayrou is a girl who is in London to study abroad. She meets the handsome men who work this place where the guardians of the boundary between the human and shadow world gather.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original TV anime airing this Summer 2018.
Laughing Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2